Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

1C charger

cdouble

Join
Dec 31, 2018
Looking for a charger for 3-4 spark batteries (usb ports for phone and RC a plus). My two primary objectives are:
- Avoid long tedious babysitting when charging one at a time in the spark.
- Take good care of my batteries, long service life.

I am less concerned with charging time and most of the 3rd party chargers seem to focus on charging speed which I fear comes at the cost of battery service life. The DJI Spark Battery Charging Hub seems like it should be a safe bet (OEM) but it is pricey and the only specs I can find say "Input Voltage: 13.05 V Input Current: 3.83 A".

So my questions are:
- Would the intelligent batteries be smart enough to limit draw to around 1A regardless of what the charger could provide?
- If I only charged one battery, would that charger allow the full 3.83A draw for that one battery? If so that seems excessive.
- Is there another multi battery charger out there that meets my objectives? I've looked and haven't found one.

Thanks in advance

No sure your full intent. I purchased this below which was much cheaper than the fly more combo and came with two extra batteries. It travels well and is great for on the go charging. It also offers an USB port as well. You can plug this in and charge the device while charging all three batteries. Interesting enough, unlike most chargers, this will start charging the battery first that has most charge. I guess they look at it as you want to get airborne the quickest. I also like that it will default to charging the spark first no matter what the SOC is on the other two batteries.

Buy Spark Portable Power Pack - DJI Store

Reactions: Andre Levite
It also charges the remote control (if you pug in from USB to RC) and stores the remote safely

I got the charging hub has it charges a lot quicker than the portable charger. If need be I will buy a power converter for my cigarette lighter/power outlet in my car which converts DC 12 volt to AC 110

So my questions are:
- Would the intelligent batteries be smart enough to limit draw to around 1A regardless of what the charger could provide?
- If I only charged one battery, would that charger allow the full 3.83A draw for that one battery? If so that seems excessive.
- Is there another multi battery charger out there that meets my objectives? I've looked and haven't found one.

Thanks in advance

1. No. The charger is responsible for limiting current in the cc phase of the charging process

2. No. See 1. The “intelligent” part of the battery only provides for some monitoring, eg charging current and battery voltage during charging and to abort charging if one of the conditions is met. The manual lists 3A for over current but in reality I think it’s more like 2.5A.

3. Don’t think so. You could always design your own charger and limit the charging current to 1A. The battery will always be happy as long as you stay below 2.5A charging current in the cc phase and 13.05V in the cv phase.

Last edited:
Looking for a charger for 3-4 spark batteries (usb ports for phone and RC a plus). My two primary objectives are:
- Avoid long tedious babysitting when charging one at a time in the spark.
- Take good care of my batteries, long service life.

I am less concerned with charging time and most of the 3rd party chargers seem to focus on charging speed which I fear comes at the cost of battery service life. The DJI Spark Battery Charging Hub seems like it should be a safe bet (OEM) but it is pricey and the only specs I can find say "Input Voltage: 13.05 V Input Current: 3.83 A".

So my questions are:

Thanks in advance
Charger For DJI Spark Fast Charging Multi Battery 4 Ports Travel Charger SL | eBay

this one says it does all 4...... at once.. now remember 1 c is well 1400 mah.. these chargers that we use now 2 c charge them so why would you want just a 1 c..

if you have the ability like me i can see amps i made a setup that is... i found spark bats take 2.3 amps per battery so thats a 2 c rating thats why the chargers get so dang hot and the spark gets so dang hot when charging...

you cant change the charge rate.. why the battery from the spark is the charger... so what happens is the chargers just supply 13.8 volts to the battery is all they do with amps behind them of course... and the spark battery is the one doing the charging the bms and balancing .. so all you need to do is supply voltage to it 13.8 you can get on ebay a step up converter a 10 amp one dont be fooled there only like 6 amps.. its a lie by chinese to get you to buy 300W DC-DC Converter Step up Step down Buck- Boost Power 20A Adjustable Charger 8937632973643 | eBay

theres another one of these.. thats more simple and has 2 capacitors.. one on input one on output... youll need to add more capacitance on input and output seems they skimmped on it and the output voltage its well choppy it will work but long term not good...

anyway the spark battery has 4 terminals on the bottom the top ones where the buttons are.. from left to right are left just use a dmm meter to find out what is what.. i think left if positive and right is negative.. the bottom 2 are not even connected inside the battery.. so just find out that outputs and apply 13.8 volts to them and voila your spark battery charges viad the bms... and balances.. the chargers on ebay read the batteries temp and have 2 other data wires.. not sure what its reading since the bms does all the work... maybe batt info like oh i cant charge etc if your lights dont flash and you wonder why its not charging i dont know but for 10 bucks you can make your own charger... just makes sure it can handle 2.3 amps per battery so 4 bats thats allot of current id do 2 at once if i were you... 3d print a holder and some push pints or some way of holding it down to the pins....

Attachments

• 072012oq5065eeqx0qsq2c.jpg
    072012oq5065eeqx0qsq2c.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 15
I got the charging hub has it charges a lot quicker than the portable charger. If need be I will buy a power converter for my cigarette lighter/power outlet in my car which converts DC 12 volt to AC 110
yes thats because it has the amps behind it.. to do so... all batteries have a set limit on current input the bms determains that.. you can open the batt and add a ballance lead and a jst to it and bypass the bms and use a regular lihv charger that would be better..seeing how bms arent really designed to be charged by the bms they undercharge them plenty of youtube videos on this....a test was done on a battery with a bms they charge to under 12.2 volts instead of 12.5 i mean thats fine and all saves your batt alittle.. but never fully reaches 4.2 volts more like 4.1 or 4 volts....
maybe dji bms are better.. i dunno.... but still bms charging is not good id rather see the voltage on each cell and use my 400 dollar charger to do so i trust it more than a 20 dollar ebay special... no ones done the charge from a lipo charger well they have but the charger just outputs 13.8 volts is all its doing and when it sees a full bat its reading all the batts not the ballance leads.... so thats a scam people its just a converter providing the voltage... but an option and you can make the cable yourself some bannana jacks and small thin pins to slide into the sparks or any batts terminals make sure you know what terminals.. also the specks just use hv setting on your lipo.. i dont know if id trust this method but its just providing the voltage same as all the cheap crappy chargers on ebay are anyway.. funny thing ive pulled them apart they have more electronics than the spark... and 2 data lines to the batts wonder what they are reading when the battery does all the work maybe oh over temp or crap battery wont charge it wont be ballancing thats the bms job... anyway i wanna ad my own batt to the spark im thinking once we cant find batts for them ie 5 years down the line and ours are failed we need a sollution im thinknign a hv 1.4 pack pushed into where the old one was and rubber bands... or a bigger one 2.0 batt i hear they can lift it... oh wait the dji needs to see the bms signals so dji batt tear down the bms on top of the new bat with cables coming out into the spark id them of course hmm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers