Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

2.4 vs 5g Which is better?

McCloudSpark

Join
Dec 24, 2018
So in the USA (FCC) which WiFi band should I be using?
- 2.4 has farther range, better signal penetration, is more crowded
- 5 is faster, is less crowded

I have good luck with whatever the Spark wants to fly on....Auto select.

The Spark seems to like the 5.8 in my neighborhood.

I do keep the Spark in VLOS just in case it wants to go somewhere else.;)

Reactions: Andre Levite
Which communication frequency is "better" ?
a) it depends
b) it changes
c) both (Auto)
d) all of the above

From over a year of experience I would answer d:

I now choose Auto and let the Spark dynamically analyze the data and select the best frequency for the given location and time.

**The $10 parabolic antenna booster made a much greater improvement in connection than manually adjusting the frequency anyway.

I was thinking about trying the antenna reflector but was not sure it would be helpful.

If you are always having a great signal than no need to bother with a booster.
But in my area lots of trees and interfering signals -- and I enjoy the added range.

It's one more item to carry but having a steady video signal and responsive drone is well worth the effort (and ten bucks).

My #1 request for Spark 2.0 is OccuSync like my Mavic Pro. Lots of other potential features get more attention but the Spark's poor connection is maddening after flying MP1.

Reactions: Jim Nielsen
It improves my range to aprox 8,000' sometimes less. I may get a bit more if I had unabstructed line of site. Even If you don't have that range it improves the signal strength anyway. Also make sure you use a rotgu connection from phone to controller.

Reactions: Andre Levite
I've usually had range problems with my Spark and frequent image transmission signal loss. Even in open flat ground, I have such problems. So I don't fly too far and anyway, the battery is not as long as my Mavic Pro's so I use the Spark when I want to quickly get a shot of something nearby.

I've usually had range problems with my Spark and frequent image transmission signal loss. Even in open flat ground, I have such problems. So I don't fly too far and anyway, the battery is not as long as my Mavic Pro's so I use the Spark when I want to quickly get a shot of something nearby.
I also was experiencing video dropout while flying. It was very annoying. I changed the wifi from auto and selected channel 8 and voila! No more video dropout while flying

Reactions: Chips
I also was experiencing video dropout while flying. It was very annoying. I changed the wifi from auto and selected channel 8 and voila! No more video dropout while flying
As Andre said, there are different local factors which can affect transmission but I'll give your tip a try. Thanks.

So in the USA (FCC) which WiFi band should I be using?
- 2.4 has farther range, better signal penetration, is more crowded
- 5 is faster, is less crowded
5 is good for about 2000 feet then its crap... the spark is not meant to fly that 1.2 miles sure it can but you are at risk for fly offs and loss of transmission.. you want distance build a drone with those high power transmitter addons that are ham freq then youll get 5 miles reliably ... dji is a gimic with this custom so called names they call the transmission freqs lol its all a lie..

there all 2.4 or 5 ghz... what we need is 900 mhz and freq hopping..... this and the ham channels... but dji wont do that.. they call it occusync sure but what is it what freq is it etc.. does it hop.. prolly not... 2.4 when it came out it was great.. now its so freak sat.... we only have so many freq.. they need to release the lower bands that hams dont use and set those only and only for rc drones and toys etc and hop on those channels.... this 2.4 and 5.8 crap sucks.. 900 is where video trans mission is best... do you think nasa communicates with voyager with 2.4 lol no they use like 5 terrahertz or something the far upper spectrum and modulated custom modulations and repeated transmissions... or some alien crap we dont know about..

yea i get crappy signal too image tends to lag alittle even with otg.. the spark is the ehh i want money but not willing to make a proper drone....but i dont wanna loose customers so here have scrap parts you happy now lol type of drone

yea i get crappy signal too image tends to lag alittle even with otg.. the spark is the ehh i want money but not willing to make a proper drone....but i dont wanna loose customers so here have scrap parts you happy now lol type of drone

DJI was under a lot of pressure to release the Spark when they did so it was put on the market before it was a "finished" product. But currently they have zero pressure to update the hardware because they've crushed their competition.

In the interim we've gotten some software updates and firmware updates and now it's the best entry level consumer drone on the market -- by a longshot!

I guess some people always want more but I am grateful for what I have.

DJI was under a lot of pressure to release the Spark when they did so it was put on the market before it was a "finished" product. But currently they have zero pressure to update the hardware because they've crushed their competition.

In the interim we've gotten some software updates and firmware updates and now it's the best entry level consumer drone on the market -- by a longshot!

I guess some people always want more but I am grateful for what I have.

pressure? yea to make money... would you buy something un finished.. or crappy and told ehh deal with it but to solve it we have a new drone coming out buy that instead.. its apple like tactics and they need to change make a product make sure it works test it then ship.....

pressure? yea to make money... would you buy something un finished.. or crappy and told ehh deal with it but to solve it we have a new drone coming out buy that instead.. its apple like tactics and they need to change make a product make sure it works test it then ship.....

Yes. DJI released the Spark early to gain market share from their competition and maximize their profit. It's smart business and common practice in the tech industry.

Publicly owned companies such as Apple often have to place their responsibility to shareholders over consumers

DJI's tactics have been highly successful - I don't expect them to change now that they control the market - even if it makes you feel personally cheated.

Yes. DJI released the Spark early to gain market share from their competition and maximize their profit. It's smart business and common practice in the tech industry.

Publicly owned companies such as Apple often have to place their responsibility to shareholders over consumers

DJI's tactics have been highly successful - I don't expect them to change now that they control the market - even if it makes you feel personally cheated.
sure highly suscessfull
if you dont care about your customers..
its only sucessfulll because the influx of customers and the blind folds they wear wont hurt dji..

any company that builds something then ships before its finished or polished outta be out of business forever in my book

look at games... games now want you to buy them before done then pay extra for 5 more maps... in dlc and microtransactions..

no longer do businesses care about us.. you cant get a toaster for opening a new bank account.. they tell you ha your lucky we even take you now.... people consumers are not in power anymore..

do you think apple made any products.. no steve jobs was just a sales man that treated his staff bad... also apple takes ideas that were around and puts them together thats not inovation thats theft.. also the ipod was thought up by a man in the 70s yeaaaaaaaaaaaaars before apple took the idea and made it...

cut throat business tactics are what this world is about and as consumers we need to say no more..

look at battle field 5.. we stuck it to them and they backed down.. but what needs to happen is we need to go back to the way it was back in the day when they feared us..

I am a business owner. And a consumer.
I can appreciate both perspectives.

We live in a competitive world. We all benefit (and suffer) from the system. Despite your protestations I still think capitalism will prevail

ok then if you agree with shady business tactics you are the problem.. compedative does not mean rip people off and lie and cheat to get ahead compeditive means inovation having something someone does not have.. or lowering prices thats compedative.... im talking about... selling out people im talking about lieing cheating stealing... hurting familes etc.... threathing other people if they dont do this your fired.. we can live in a great society but greed entered mans heart....

long ago this was the garden of eden we were gods children but now we are savage gutless money hungry jerk offs that only care about that new house in the hamptons

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme