Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

3 Day Weekend (Litchi Purchase)

John.H

Join
Dec 10, 2017
Loc
Flower Mound, Tx
I have three days to play with the spark. Thinking of purchasing Litchi for the two devices I use. (iPad mini 4 and iPhone8)

Questions
1. Anything else do I need to download?
2. Should I download anything on my Mac? (office computer)
3. Can I still use my OTG?

Thanks,
John

Answers:
1. In addition to Litchi I'd recommend UAV Forecast, AirMap and B4UFly (all free apps)
2. On the computer you use Litchi Mission Hub which is a website so no download needed. For advanced features such as virtual flights you can download Google Earth (optional)
3. You can use OTG with Litchi on all modern iOS devices (Android varies with model and software release but most now work)

If it's just gonna be used 3 days not sure Litchi is worth the cost but you didn't mention your specific use case. DJI Go app is sufficient if it's just for fun flying and simple videos.

Thank you for the good advice. It will differently be used all the time, I just brought it up because of a slow weekend for me. Something to play around with and learn another flying format instead of DJI Go4.
Thank you

I am new to waypoints and first experience is with waypoint 2 on mavic 2 zoom. It is fun to play around with. I am now playing around with DJI GS Pro 2 which is free. It is behind Litchi as from what I have read but basic functions are the same. It works with assistant 2 simulator. Litchi simulator I think works with google earth maps which is better. I am not ready to upgrade yet to Litchi. More to learn and figure out what features I need.

Litchi is a very cool app. Their online mission designer at Mission Hub - Litchi is very well made. I also think flying Litchi missions gives me smoother and more efficient flights than me manually controlling the Spark.

My advice on Litchi waypoint flights:

Only fly with a full battery, unless you are doing a very short time/distance mission. Maybe not even then. Just taking off and landing can easily take 15% battery.

Take off next to your first waypoint, somewhere clear and high if possible. Because when you press Play on Litchi, first thing it will do is make a straight line for the first waypoint, and you don't want anything solid in between you and that waypoint.

I generally have my last waypoint right beside my first one, usually about 30 feet up in a free and clear area. The Spark will hover at the last waypint, then I can keep flying manually or bring it in for a landing.

Keep your waypoints plenty high. Use Google Earth to check the terrain height along your route, but don't 100% trust Google Earth's numbers. If the terrain varies up to 50' higher than takeoff point along the route and the trees (don't forget trees, rocks, buildings, powerlines, etc) are up to 100', I fly at least 200' high, giving me a 50' margin of error. If you wish you can use your flight video to see what waypoints could/should be lower and adjust later, then refly the mission.

Remember Litchi will fly in a straight line between waypoints, so if you have a 50' high waypoint and a 150' high waypoint that are 200' apart, with a 100' tree in the middle, you might clip the top of that tree when the Spark goes from 50' to 150'. Better to add a waypoint to rise to 150' before the tree.

You can enable curved paths past waypoints instead of sharp turns, but keep in mind with a curved paths the Spark may not actually touch the waypoint, and therefore any actions you have on that waypoint (like Panorama or Take a photo) won't be performed.

On the mission designer website, turn on Labels under Satellite to see more map details to get your bearings.

Also in the mission designer, don't forget the Settings button. It contains important mission-specific options like cruising speed and curved turns. The options in that Settings button seem to be saved with each mission.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe