Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

After Drone Hits Plane in Canada, New Fears About Air Safety

...according to the Canadian Minister of Transport (early this week), the final version UAV/drone regs will become law in 2018...currently, Canada is operating under interim regs.

prime example of why we should NOT mod/hack drones. I get so upset hearing these stories of idiots that want to try and do more than what the drone is capable of, and in the end, the community gets BASHED because some idiot wanted to go "higher and further".

Reactions: mick92780
prime example of why we should NOT mod/hack drones. I get so upset hearing these stories of idiots that want to try and do more than what the drone is capable of, and in the end, the community gets BASHED because some idiot wanted to go "higher and further".

People like you are the reason this hobby is becoming a joke.
You clearly are a buy and fly drone user as you have demonstrated how little understanding you have.
It is people like you who don't bother to learn about what you are doing and get into stupid situations out of ignorance.
DJI limits their drones to do less than they are capable of doing, you cannot make it "do more" than it is capable of doing because it won't work.
I get so upset when noobs, people like you who do not understand the technology use the short-sighted opinion "I don't do it/need it, therefore no one does."

your whole point can be broken with this: Custom built drone.....
As for shunning "idiots" who want to go higher and further, I ask, do you commute by a horse? because cars, busses, planes, helicopters exist for the very reason you just mocked.

Reactions: d0ppler
I am not sure this incident is legit.

At least, a few express their doubt, like so:

I don't like this guy. Great, nobody died....this time. Heavy regulation is what keeps aviation so safe. Everyone follows rules. Waiting for a disaster isn't a good idea.

But In will agree with his first point: show me the evidence. Minister Garneau has been making some wild claims, but has shown no evidence to back it up.

I would think a flock of candian 6kg geese were more dangerous than a hobby drone.
They do not make many headlines, so maybe they already are regulated.

I would think a flock of candian 6kg geese were more dangerous than a hobby drone.
They do not make many headlines, so maybe they already are regulated.

Geese are squishy, compared to drones. Yes they are heavier, but would you rather be hit with a 6kg pillow, or a 1.5kg brick?

And to add to my last post, that kiwi ranger forgot to consider the cost of damage to aircraft. You can't just put some filler on a dent like a car; planes require inspection, testing, replacement. Minor damage is still in the thousands of dollars.

Geese are squishy, compared to drones. Yes they are heavier, but would you rather be hit with a 6kg pillow, or a 1.5kg brick?
This depends on the speed of impact (aircraft). If velocity is high enough, a ball of liquid and a brick both of same mass and size cause similiar damage (defined by energy per surface). The effect is known from jumping into water from very high altitude -- you still die, water becomes rock hard.

I do agree though that birds are a smaller risk at smaller speed: then softer and actually capable to avoid an approaching aircraft. But then, there are many more birds than quads ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67