Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

After forced firmware update my obstacle avoidance is not working.

Johnhosepipe

Join
Aug 27, 2017
Hi,
After the forced firmware update, my obstacle avoidance is no longer working at all. I don't get any errors showing up in the aircraft status, it says vision sensors = normal. In fact the aircraft status is normal for all checks (IMU, Compass, RC, etc.) If I go into the visual navigation settings :- the enable obstacle avoidance is showing as switched on but it does not work. It was working fine until the update. For reference I did the update by DJI assistant 2. I have tried the refresh and restore setting (none work) I've even tried down grading using DUMLdore but as soon as I start the dji go 4 app in iOS I get the message saying must update and it locks the drone from flying so I cannot even go back. I know how to get the parameters on in the dji assistant 2 app do I need to set something up in there. On the Mavic and phantom there is a calibration tab for the sensors but for the spark there is nothing at all. I don't know if it's the same but the downgrade ultrasonic sensors do not work either, so now after I take off the craft does not sit steady on a hover and if I lose the rc throttle stick I drops straight to the floor no more hover then landing slowly. Any help would be good right now. For reference I did have the parameter settings tweaked for the sport settings and they have worked great for ages now, could this have effected things. I also have the dji after care but will it show I've modified the settings even though I've downgraded and re upgraded and set things back to factory and refreashed. I also deleted the dji go 4 app and the files in iTunes, I then did a complete reinstall From the App Store. The other thing I've noticed is the craft is very twitchy in flight now drops like a stone, I don't know if it's the new setting from dji or something different altogether.

Any help would be great fully received. I loved my little spark until this happened. It doesn't stop me flying but it's not right either and it's nearly caused me to crash a couple of times.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

After turning on factory test in dji assistant 2. I replaced all the files. This seems to have fixed the front detection however the bottom ultrasound seems to still be not working or not calibrated. In the preflight tests it all passes as normal in the assistant app it's got a green tick, am I missing something I need to do.

Seems you are on the good way for a solution. You can try to do the famous IMU calibration but I don't know if it include any aspect related to the vertical sensor, not sure at all.
The vertical distance sensor is based on an infrared laser beam.and for, ambiant light and reflection factor of the ground influence it.
You can test it to see what the app says if you move it at some height, I don't think that the motor need to be turned on, but in worst case it has to be tested during a short real flight.
Another way is to do a longer test flight and upload the Go4 app flight log here DJI Flight Log Viewer in that page you will see column for "IMU Altitude" (barometer) and "Altitude VPS" (the optical sensor). This way you can check what is reporting the vertical sensor. Note that often it will report 0 as no data. Also the IMU altitude (barometer) can have changed when you land at same location if atmospheric pressure has changed or sensor drifted a little.

Update.

I've now got the VPS working as it should do for the front obstacle avoidance. The vertical ultrasonic is somewhat out buy approx 0.5mtr. I get the warning bless and screen indicator as it comes down to land but it does not stop 0.3ntrs above the ground and hover, it just goes straight to the ground and lands.

Funny i should find someone else with an issue of avoidance..

I have a question-
Why, when landing in Any autoland mode does the avoidance shut off? Stupid..
RTH or Lowbatt autoland doesn't matter, while descending the Spark disables avoidance "?"
why?

This Spark came in landed half off a garbage can and crashed (i fly BVR i was not at landing site)
Screenshot_2017-08-25-20-18-28.png

Bellow 10%, it dreams only landing but you have still horizontal control and can stop descending to select a better landing place. What you cannot is climbing.
If you leave the Spark going to 10% battery, auto landing at a place you have not visual control of the landing area, you cannot really blame the Spark. You could have put the camera down.
I am not sure if the avoidance is also including the height laser sensor, I think it remain operational.

Sure i could've looked down with cam, sure i could still control the horizontal aspect of Spark. What concerns me, is Why avoidance sensors shut off "?"
That's a Problem

Even at 80% battery
soon as i initiate any type of autoland or RTH, when Spark gets to it's magical latitude and longitude point, it Descends, and shuts off avoidance..

i Know it senses obstacles underneath Spark and moves out of way (place hand under Spark while hovering, up she goes)

So Why she shuts avoidance off and hit an object Pisses me off..

Newest firmware on everything and all 3 batts..

Last edited:
So it's not just me. Did you do any mods?.
I've since found if I down grade then my spark goes back to doing what it should. However as soon as my spark connect to the net it gets shut down until I upgrade (forced). After the forced upgrade
My spark is back to as before with avoidance not working. I know I should not have modded my drone but it was rubbish standard I could not fly more than 50mtrs without it loosing connection and returning to home on its own I felt soon or later I was going to loose my drone. This alone forced me to do what I did. I think dji should be ashamed to release a drone like this the Mavis and phantom three both work over a longer distance than line of sight so why is the spark any different. It should be the same for all. I think using the statement regarding light bridge is just a get out clause. They should have done then same for the spark in Europe to garrentee the craft does what they say it does. Then it's up to me to Obay the law and fly it in line of sight.

Reactions: Michael G
Nothing is modded it's only a 3 week old flymore spark.. I have no range issues at all with Go4 v4.1.3 app and it's Always Crystal clear TX/RX.

All "forced apple style firmwares" are installed.. But will never use the newer blurry Low resolution obscured icon signal dropping Go4 v4.1.8..
°°°edit°°° just re-read this sentence ➡
Fuuu-unny way to put a tab on it

And as Always- set permissions of app to
Only Location and Storage allowed
and Force Close app when done using it..
Heck i even click Flight Mode on to disable all phone access before a flight..
i use an OTG cable to the remote..

Dji Go4 app Sucks the system resouces at 99% utilization, searching for a way to contact Homebase dji.. Daaaamn..

Back to subject matter- are you saying previous firmware keeps avoidance on during autoLand?
Please clarify..

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme