Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Airmap - does it satisfy the FAA requirements

YelloSpark

Join
Aug 13, 2018
Hi Everyone,
So, I just received my Spark a couple days ago and have been going thru all the setups. It was recommended to me to download the Airmap App.
I see it shows all the local airports and heliports. I'm within multiple circles indicating airports and heliports are within 5 miles. All are orange/yellow circles.
Does filing a flight plan on Airmap satisfy the FAA rule about notifying these local airports and heliports? It would be a real pain to call or email all of
these every time I want to fly my Spark.

Not sure, but in France, if you apply all the rules that prevent you from flying, you are not allowed to fly anywhere including over your own land for some reason. So best is not to do something really dangerous or where you wouldn't be in control of your drone, despite not following the rules who are terrible and mostly made by some interests or incompetent people.
After all, when you drive your own car you are far more dangerous at any time.
I use my drone also for professional tasks (professionnal photography for my own professionnal use in buildings) which is totally forbidden in France.

Besides being a pain, these days they can actually refuse your flying in their space... yet another change since I got into this.

Besides being a pain, these days they can actually refuse your flying in their space... yet another change since I got into this.

As a section 336 hobbyist, they cannot refuse - you are informing them of the flight, that is all.
It is not up to the manager to debate unless you are trying to fly in the NFZ core of Class B airspace.

A most excellent lesson I learned from McCarran International when I called in.
Tower volunteered all kinds of info.

Hi Everyone,
So, I just received my Spark a couple days ago and have been going thru all the setups. It was recommended to me to download the Airmap App.
I see it shows all the local airports and heliports. I'm within multiple circles indicating airports and heliports are within 5 miles. All are orange/yellow circles.
Does filing a flight plan on Airmap satisfy the FAA rule about notifying these local airports and heliports? It would be a real pain to call or email all of
these every time I want to fly my Spark.

Unless it says electronically filed (specific initials I cannot remember) then no, it is not enough.
First off, make sure you zoom in as close as possible to your flight area.
AirMap displays ALL cautions/ restrictions that are on the view screen.
Example: Zoom out enough, and a NFZ will tell you it is not safe to fly but the zone is 40 miles away from where you are flying.
So zoom in all the way and the screen will only display about 200-300ft area so AirMap will ONLY show cautions restrictions within that screen.

On another note, depending on the class air space and traffic, you could ask if the airport operator needs notification to the entire 5 miles out.

My case in point: My home is within 4.8mi from the airport and 3.5 miles from the hospital helipad.
The original airport operator said just notify him if the flight is within a mile...until some dumas (not me) crashed a drone on the taxiway of the airport - then he said 3 miles. So don't have to call.
Hospital safety supervisor said the Medivac helicopters are never in my area for approach or departure so I am good out here too.

You never know until you ask?
All they can do is say no - keep calling, right?

As a section 336 hobbyist, they cannot refuse - you are informing them of the flight, that is all.
It is not up to the manager to debate unless you are trying to fly in the NFZ core of Class B airspace.

A most excellent lesson I learned from McCarran International when I called in.
Tower volunteered all kinds of info.

Tell that to the chap in this posting (Small municipal airport told me I can't fly at all) who was told by a municipal airport that he cannot fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme