Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

AirMap Reliability

SparkinItUp

Join
Sep 15, 2019
First of all I’m the newest of newbies. I brought up “Treasure Island” (San Francisco) in AirMap to see what the restrictions were if any. It wasn’t in any “zone” so I’m assuming it’s safe to fly there (especially when they have a Drone Flight School on the island). I then brought up another app, (Hover) which had half the island in a zone. So I brought up UAV Forcast, that also had it in a zone. I don’t understand the inconsistencies. Both Hover and UAV Forcast were similar, unlike AirMap. I have heard, “use AirMap, it’s the best!” Am I not reading the apps correctly?

Use the one that lets you fly. ;)

I think the UAV and Hover apps may not have been updated as much as the AIRMAP app.

With AIRMAP you can submit a request to fly near an airport through the app if in a restricted area.

The DJI GO4 will have the final say as it's the one to let you fly.

You might have to agree to a prompt if in an enhanced zone (yellow), but you'll be able to fly.

Use the one that lets you fly. ;)

I think the UAV and Hover apps may not have been updated as much as the AIRMAP app.

With AIRMAP you can submit a request to fly near an airport through the app if in a restricted area.

The DJI GO4 will have the final say as it's the one to let you fly.

You might have to agree to a prompt if in an enhanced zone (yellow), but you'll be able to fly.
Thanks for the reply Spark317!! I’ve seen the request to fly done on YouTube (Gaget Inspector) thru AirMap...that’s why I want to keep it. I’ll take your advise and stick to AirMap so I can utilize LAANC.

I made a flight plan for Halcyon Park in San Leandro (at ~8:15pm). Flight date=9.17/Flight time=1hr/Elevation=1hr/Area=Halcyon Park perimeter. I haven’t received a response yet 40 minutes later. I’ve seen it only take about a minute in other cases. When I go in to view my flight plan in AirMap it says under “Authorization Requests” = No airspace authorization is available. From my understanding LAANC is 24/7. Am I missing something?

First of all I’m the newest of newbies. I brought up “Treasure Island” (San Francisco) in AirMap to see what the restrictions were if any. It wasn’t in any “zone” so I’m assuming it’s safe to fly there (especially when they have a Drone Flight School on the island). I then brought up another app, (Hover) which had half the island in a zone. So I brought up UAV Forcast, that also had it in a zone. I don’t understand the inconsistencies. Both Hover and UAV Forcast were similar, unlike AirMap. I have heard, “use AirMap, it’s the best!” Am I not reading the apps correctly?
Air Map is fine , but only follows federal laws and guidelines, not state.. if not all , most states l, do not allow you to fly from stare parks, Some states (NJ, PA) do not allow you to fly from County Parks. Some township ordinances forbid flight Above parks. The m not sure how they can legally do that when airspace is not in their jurisdiction.

AirMap usually only says no fly for national parks in or above, prisons, nuclear power, military bases Ect.

I always use AirMap and then google the towns ordinances and of course know my states laws.

Some towns near our shores prevent drone flight on beaches or anywhere in town during summer beach season ..

Coast of CA LOOKS really tricky to fly in between fed. And local laws. It’s ridiculous they do this. Makes us all less safe because people just fly from private property and out of VLOS to get where they want to be.

GOOD LUCK

Reactions: RotorWash
Air Map is fine , but only follows federal laws and guidelines, not state.. if not all , most states l, do not allow you to fly from stare parks, Some states (NJ, PA) do not allow you to fly from County Parks. Some township ordinances forbid flight Above parks. The m not sure how they can legally do that when airspace is not in their jurisdiction.

AirMap usually only says no fly for national parks in or above, prisons, nuclear power, military bases Ect.

I always use AirMap and then google the towns ordinances and of course know my states laws.

Some towns near our shores prevent drone flight on beaches or anywhere in town during summer beach season ..

Coast of CA LOOKS really tricky to fly in between fed. And local laws. It’s ridiculous they do this. Makes us all less safe because people just fly from private property and out of VLOS to get where they want to be.

GOOD LUCK
Thanks for the response Jjmik. The location I requested is only a baseball field, not even a regional park. I think I know what I did wrong. Pretty soon we will only be able to pilot indoors....blah:(.

No
Thanks for the response Jjmik. The location I requested is only a baseball field, not even a regional park. I think I know what I did wrong. Pretty soon we will only be able to pilot indoors....blah:(.
I think they will really have to rethink the laws or ban drones altogether. I don’t think they will ban them. If you want to fly in a park , find out where the park boundary is and fly from public property .. I’m not sure how states can legally apply laws to airspace.. I think that’s FAA jurisdiction.

The next time a ranger asks me to leave, I plan on asking where the park property ends and fly from the shoulder of the road if I have to.

Ok, I've been learned alot on this forum and appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and or experience.
I need some answers to my air map confusion. I put in the "flight plan" and get the reply "Airspace Authorization is either not available or not applicable to this flight" Not sure what that means, 1) "OK to fly 'cause there are no restrictions" or 2) "Don't fly 'cause it is not authorized in this area".
I'm confused! On the UAV app, there are heliports / small airports however, on the Air Map it shows nothing near me.
I'd like to get a better idea of where I should not fly.

Use your best judgement and fly where you feel comfortable. If you are on the outskirts of an airport and it says you can fly less than 400 feet on AirMap, you should have no problem flying at say 100 feet in that area.

As for flying in a park. If you can’t find anything that says no just fly. If someone of authority says otherwise say your sorry and leave. People are confused by this hobby if they know nothing about it. The sparks best feature is that it’s small and discreet. Take advantage of that.

Also make sure you have your cell service on and not flipped to airplane mode if you are waiting on an approval from the FAA being whet contact you via text.

Reactions: matt48
Ok, I've been learned alot on this forum and appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and or experience.
I need some answers to my air map confusion. I put in the "flight plan" and get the reply "Airspace Authorization is either not available or not applicable to this flight" Not sure what that means, 1) "OK to fly 'cause there are no restrictions" or 2) "Don't fly 'cause it is not authorized in this area".
I'm confused! On the UAV app, there are heliports / small airports however, on the Air Map it shows nothing near me.
I'd like to get a better idea of where I should not fly.
What area were you looking at?

I was looking downtown augusta GA
I checked out Augusta GA and you are green all over (that I checked out) so AirMap (LAANC) doesn’t necessarily give you a reply when creating a flight plan. So as far as the FAA goes, you should be good....BUT to play it safe I would check with the city of Augusta (depending on where you are flying) to make sure it’s cool to fly. I’m in CA so there are some regional parks, tourist traps like Pier 39 in San Francisco, etc that think they can control the airspace and WILL NOT want you to fly there. They really don’t have the authority to try and control airspace, but they do to the point of asking you to leave. The only organization I know that can control airspace in the US is the FAA. Just play it safe, check things out at the city level and you’ll be fine...after checking AirMap (FAA) or whatever app you use.

I checked out Augusta GA and you are green all over (that I checked out) so AirMap (LAANC) doesn’t necessarily give you a reply when creating a flight plan. So as far as the FAA goes, you should be good....BUT to play it safe I would check with the city of Augusta (depending on where you are flying) to make sure it’s cool to fly. I’m in CA so there are some regional parks, tourist traps like Pier 39 in San Francisco, etc that think they can control the airspace and WILL NOT want you to fly there. They really don’t have the authority to try and control airspace, but they do to the point of asking you to leave. The only organization I know that can control airspace in the US is the FAA. Just play it safe, check things out at the city level and you’ll be fine...after checking AirMap (FAA) or whatever app you use.
Thanks for the response. Augusta has some crazy drone laws when the Masters' is playing. I usually try to check the local laws but I appreciate the clarification of the airmap

Reactions: SparkinItUp

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilot6521