Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

All DJI drones grounded by US Interior Department amid review

H

Haye Kesteloo

All-DJI-drones-grounded-by-US-Interior-Department-amid-review.jpg

On Wednesday, the same day that DJI launched the DJI Mavic Mini, the US Department of the Interior announced that all DJI drones and other Chinese-made unmanned aircraft or UAVs that contain Chinese-made parts in its fleet are to be grounded as part of a review of the department’s drone program. This is the latest threat to DJI’s drone business in the United States.

more…

The post All DJI drones grounded by US Interior Department amid review appeared first on DroneDJ.

Continue reading...

I think they're concerned DJI might have programmed a back door into the system that could reveal information they don't necessarily want to share. That's likely true for all DJI drones, but a government agency requires more control than most rank and file consumer drone fliers. Click on the "more..." under the lead post. The article goes into their concerns.

Wait I’m not American, but are you saying that you literally are not allowed to fly your DJI drone right now because concerns of the Chinese?

Edit - actually read the article they are only grounding the government own and operated drones?

Ok so I think I understand, I’m curious though if a government is concerned about a piece of equipment they use transmitting data to a foreign nation. It seems like the logical solution would be to hire in-house engineers and production to design and make their product exclusively to them.

Aside from that it gives you a nice notion that DJI as a drone company is regarded high enough that the US government uses the drones.

Reactions: graywoulf
No doubt DJI has a well earned reputation for producing drones that set the benchmark by which others are measured, especially in the consumer market. You get a lot of bang for the buck in a product that is easy to use. They have aggressively pursued market domination as is the goal of for-profit companies, but what successful company hasn't! The issue that comes into play has to do with the Chinese government's level of involvement and strategies regarding global markets and peer states. Unfortunately DJI the drone manufacturer may be as pure as the driven snow, but unlike western businesses, there is mistrust of the government's motives and level of influence. The U.S. position is that this is not wholly undeserved when you consider espionage of defense related data and information. If a western manufacturer can seize the opportunity to make a competitive product, its chances of succeeding appear better now that in recent years.

Funny, I almost knew they did.
Anyone seen the film Snowden?
True story.
CIA agent (now cast out to Russia or he will get lethal injection for treason)who works alongside the big makers if computers Dell and the like, they implant software for goverment to spy on you, nice, true, google it.
You know the pokemon game on your phone, CIA backed, google it, they send kids to where they need pics, and all the kids go and the phone encrypted software send the spics back to base.
The film, true story, will bliw your mind.

You'd think we here in the U.S. would have someone at least capable of reverse engineering the software. But I would have figured that they would have thought about the danger a loooong time ago...wouldn't you? I mean really...all you have to do is look at the satellite image of of every flight you have made on the DJI Go4 app to realize that you're not going to have any luck at all trying to claim that you have never flown past line of sight if push comes to shove.

ok first this is a lie... because you can order and pay for drones and get shipped stuff still on djis site if this was true dji would have stopped all sales etc... im sorry but i dont belive it

"...the US Department of the Interior announced that all DJI drones and other Chinese-made unmanned aircraft or UAVs that contain Chinese-made parts in its fleet are to be grounded as part of a review of the department’s drone program".

This applies to the U.S. Department of the Interior's drone fleet. NOT consumer drones sold to the public. IIRC, the Dept. of Defense put the skids on their use awhile back, but again, this affects certain government agencies and has nothing to do with consumer use of drones.

This makes me wonder about all the phones, cameras, automotive computer parts, tellacomunitions equipment, oh and all our military computer equipment. Hummm "Made in China.
And last most of, our medications. I believe all but one antibiotics is made there ...
Just a old man's thoughts.

Reactions: I B Spectre
Mark Waco, all the things you listed should be cause for concern, especially the medications as it could affect civilians and military alike. India is another major manufacturer of meds for the U.S. market. It's amazing the price those of us in the U.S. pay for medications compared to other countries. The pharma companies offshore the manufacturing to lower costs, but we don't see the benefit unless you're a stockholder.

Reactions: Mark Waco

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit