Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Any issues flying in Hawaiian Islands?

Asset4air

Join
Sep 16, 2018
Loc
Oxfordshire UK
Hi, I wondered if anyone from the states could help me here. Next Easter I'm going on a cruise and part of it is the Hawaiian Islands. I would love to fly there but wondered if anyone knows of restrictions?
I don't need help re the cruise - have that down to a fine art now- I get on board.....I declare it, they seize it, I sign for it and they store it until each port day when they give it back. ( I keep the batteries to charge in the cabin).
I'm not too familiar with FAA regs so any help would be much appreciated re Hawaii. Thanks.

Princess Cruises. Drones are classed as prohibited items by a lot of cruise companies. They don't want them flying off the ship. Why would you????. They take them from you but store them and you get a receipt. Just collect on way off ship each time. I didn't mind really, one less bag in the cabin. I did keep batteries though to charge. Funniest part was looking at the prohibited last at end of trip and seeing there were several drones as well as Irons, a knife and a couple of swords!!!!

I was on a cruise recently. Had my Spark in my camera bag with the props off. I didn't make a big deal about it. I wasn't the "Look at me I have a drone guy" on the ship or in port. I got through security every single day I took it off the ship. I didn't advertise that I had it. If they had asked me I would have told them and followed their security procedures. The key is don't bring a giant case for the spark.

Yes this was on a line where it was a "Prohibited item". No I did not fly it off the ship.

I didn't advertise mine either. The first cruise I was getting on and off no problem up until about 4th day when they saw a shape they wanted to look at through x-ray. I have no interest in causing a scene in a gueue boarding the ship. Either way it's no real issue whether they take it or not. Unlike the stories I have heard before

I was on a cruise recently. Had my Spark in my camera bag with the props off. I didn't make a big deal about it. I wasn't the "Look at me I have a drone guy" on the ship or in port. I got through security every single day I took it off the ship. I didn't advertise that I had it. If they had asked me I would have told them and followed their security procedures. The key is don't bring a giant case for the spark.

Yes this was on a line where it was a "Prohibited item". No I did not fly it off the ship.
Are there such people as "look at me I'm the drone guy"??????!!!???

This guy....

Screenshot_20180919-091458_Chrome.jpg

I live in Hawai'i on O'ahu. I've been flying for about six months. Only restrictions I've come across are the normal air restrictions around airports and military bases. I double check the airspace drone maps before I leave the house if I'm going to fly somewhere new just to make sure I don't drive all the way there for nothing.

Reactions: Asset4air
I live in Hawai'i on O'ahu. I've been flying for about six months. Only restrictions I've come across are the normal air restrictions around airports and military bases. I double check the airspace drone maps before I leave the house if I'm going to fly somewhere new just to make sure I don't drive all the way there for nothing.
Thanks for that! Really useful. I will do all the checks, just wanted to ask in the hope someone was lucky enough to live there! Looking forward to it

Reactions: deeteedub

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit