Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Attitude Indicator/Radar advice request

Torchy

Join
Jun 12, 2019
Hi,

I am new to all this and on a steep learning curve!

Having had a near flyaway on my 2nd flight I am overly cautious to fly the AC. Have been absorbing all the info available ever since!

Having gone thro pre flight checks etc and Ready to Go (GPS), I notice the following; (Prior to take off).

1. Turning AC results in the red direction indicator on radar to reflect the same. (correct).​
2. The small white triangle remains at 12 o'clock on the attitude indicator. (correct).​
3. In the first photo, the Attitude Indicator shows the AC pointing directly at N, (I orientated the AC by hand to establish this), to ensure and check the AC was indeed pointing North. From the map Home position the AC is correctly pointing North.​
4. In the 2nd photo you can see I have orientated the AC 90 deg to the left to point East.​
This is where I get confused!

In both photos I was sitting in front of the AC with the controller and iPad pro both facing North.

Rotating the RC has no effect on the attitude indicator ie the N on the Attitude Indicator doesn't move and remains in the same position as in the photo.

Is this correct? I must admit I don't fully understand the Attitude Indicator and certainly fail to understand the small white triangle! But Im sure this isn't the correct behaviour.

I have performed IMU and compass calibration and also calibrated the RC sticks.

Also have Location services ON.

DJI GO 4
to share location when using.

Compass Calibration is turned ON in System Services. ( I have toggled this on/off to reset).

I also have Airplane mode
switched ON and wifi ON, Blue tooth OFF.

Not sure where the map has come from as I do not have an option to cache maps in th DJI GO 4 app.

I have also refreshed the AC firmware.

Where am I going wrong.

Would
appreciate any advice. I have read similar descriptions but I am close to blowing a fuse!

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Torchy.

1) Correct. Turning the AC reflects movement of Red triangle, the direction the AC is facing.

2) Correct. The small white triangle does remain at the the 12 o'clock position. This indicates the direction you are pointing. It shows you facing West in both photo's. But you said you were facing North. Hmm. ?

3) Photo 1. Agreed.

4) Photo 2. Disagree. You say that you rotated the AC to the left to face the EAST, it looks like it's pointing to the west.

Confused? Me too.

Here's a video that explains the functions of the Attitude indicator that may help.

Apple products do cache the map just by simply scrolling around an area while connected to a home WiFi or data streaming. No switches or anything to click, it just does it, and then made available at the time of the flight if still cached in memory.

I see that that the Spark is on a blue landing pad in the grass, any pipes in the ground that may affect the compass?

One thing you might try is to tap the icon in the upper right of the map to unlock / lock the map orientation and see if that does anything.

Welcome to the Forum.:cool:

Reactions: nilanjan118
As pointed out by Spark317, in the 2nd photo the AC is facing WEST, which is correctly shown on the map and the attitude indicator (90° anti-clockwise to N).
Now coming to the white triangle, I think it is meant to indicate if your controller is pointing in the direction of the AC. It is helpful when you lose visual line of sight but for this to work, there should be a compass sensor available on the phone or tablet you are using. If you do not have a compass, the white triangle is of no use.

Reactions: jimlips

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe