Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Avoid Crash due to Compass Interference

shegeek72

Join
Apr 20, 2018
FYI - found this on the DJI forum (link):

Tip To Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

1/ Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to.

2/ start AC leave until you receive enough gps lock ,

3/ if you get Compass interference turn off AC and move to another location,
without interference.

4/ In bottom left hand corner on your map you will see small red triangle, check to make sure that this triangle is pointing in the same direction (heading) as your AC, this will show good compass on the ground.

Raise AC to height of 8ft
Hover for 20 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Backward 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw left
Yaw right
Each time returning to hover position
If you have a good horizontal each time, you will then know you have good GPS good IMU and good Compass, and your ready to fly.

This exercise takes less than 2 minutes and is worthwhile doing before every flight,

[If this has already been posted there maybe some who haven't read it. -like me]

Cool, this is what I do except that I add a 'landing' at the end of these steps.

Note that even thought I do these steps every time I go fly it, that a couple of times (at least three times) the Spark has loss compass calibration after taking off again and the drone start to flight-away without command, which I then pull on controls to force it to land/crash land right away - not fun and scary!

Probably referring to the observation of the Spark being level while hovering and checking with Attitude indicator (map box) to ensure the blue background is level and not pitching up/down or left/right.

Thanks for posting this as I had not seen it. Good information.

Reactions: shegeek72

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef