Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Awesome first experience

JayP

Join
Oct 10, 2017
As a long time lurker I know forums are usually the place people turn to to share their problems and seek help. The impression given hence is that everyone is having problems with their drones, so I just thought I’d post to say today was my first day with a Spark and I think it’s awesome !!!!

I’ve read and watched as much info as I could, I’ve observed mates with Phantoms and Mavic’s and I’ve hand caught plenty for those guys but today I finally got behind the controls properly for the first time. I’ve been flying a micro drone 3.0 for 6 months in anticipation - I suppose I have ATTI skills well rehearsed.

I’m stunned and amazed at how simple and easy the Spark is to fly. After the usual rigmarole of downloading and updating firmware, I completed an IMU calibration plus compass calibrations at each new site (or when promoted) I did 1 battery in beginner mode, then 3 more batteries in quick succession practising RTH and understanding the nuances of how the Spark handles RTH when >3<20m and Current Altitude is not selected (it doesn’t RTH, just spot lands) and finished up making some short trips over water at 60m to film some surfers overhead.

Everything went smoothly - it’s easy to cancel the RTH when I realised it wasn’t returning to me. That was the only think that caught me out the first time when it spot landed in beginner mode close to me.

Tomorrow I will try some of the quick shots and gestures.

The 1080 30fps video and stills are totally sufficient for my purposes - just Facebook and Instagram marketing for my kitesurfing busines. In fact I didn’t bother downloading the full hi res images off the drone but found the cached versions in the app were fine for mobile use - shown below for your reference.

I’m using an OTG cable and an iPhone 6S Plus with the RC Fly More package, based in Australia. Default camera settings but I did use the iOS “magic wand” in the photos app before publishing - same as i would for a pic taken on my phone itself.

No complaints here - hopefully this convinces more lurkers to jump in and give the Spark a go !

And a few stills...

BA62EA97-43D2-4C07-9FB7-5AA92A1F18FE.jpeg

29ACA328-FBB8-4F04-983A-CCD81B7CF52B.jpeg 7FF31259-A74F-4BA6-A272-2EFCCC777B3B.jpeg 49D8B3EE-A028-4349-B50F-F05011DF78E8.jpeg 26E341E3-C1B2-430F-90D1-F361CF7D595E.jpeg

Last edited:
marketing for my kitesurfing busines. In

Welcome to Spark Pilots.

Nice pictures.

Glad to hear that you're learning the stuff and having patience.

Just a heads up, you may have to get a Part 107 license to promote your business if in the US.

Otherwise you may be in violation making money from the content and the FAA doesn't like that if they find out.

Last edited:
Thank you JayP, for your positive approach of the Spark and beautiful photos.

Not everybody is experiencing dramatic problems, I would say the majority is really enjoying.

Reactions: uasav8r
Beautiful pictures, nicely done.

You don't need the IMU or compass calibration unless DJI GO prompts you to perform one though.

Reactions: JayP
This is pretty much the way I started out. Flew a basic drone with no fpv for a while to get a grip of the controls then progressed to the Spark.
I've followed all the advice re pre-flight checks and kept it sensible and so far (touch wood) no issues.
I suspect a lot of the folk having trouble have just dived straight in without doing much research or at least reading the manual !
I agree, the Spark is an awesome piece of kit. Hard to believe they can pack so much tech into such a small device.
Loving it !!

Welcome to Spark Pilots.

Nice pictures.

Glad to hear that you're learning the stuff and having patience.

Just a heads up, you may have to get a Part 107 license to promote your business if in the US.

Otherwise you may be in violation making money from the content and the FAA doesn't like that if they find out.
Cool thanks. I’m not sure the FAA are too concerned seeing as I’m not in the United States. Our regulator in Australia is CASA and our rules are a bit more relaxed unless I am carrying on a business and charging for my services. 3 catergories - recreation <150kg (!), commercial <2kg, commercial > 2kg.... Flying drones/remotely piloted aircraft in Australia | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

You said you use it to for kitesurfing. Is there not to much wind for that?

We will see. I do a lot of light wind kiting under 15 knots on hydrofoils and the Spark should be fine with that. Most guys here use mavics in stronger winds than that - up to 20kts I think.

Reactions: Sparkforlive
I'm using my Spark here in Australia with my Google Pixel XL phone and I've had zero issues with the spark the RC or the Go4 app, the spark, it's a great little drone.

I’m taking a similar approach with my Spark, I’ve had 2 weeks now. This is my first drone, so I’m taking it slow learning flying basics first, reading manual and watching videos. After 17 flights in beginner mode, yesterday I turned it off and started flying longer distances with more altitude.

Nice pics and welcome.... sounds like you have your head on straight. That's great. I love my Spark. Only time I've had issues is when I've been testing what the guys having problems are doing ie: starting and launching from metal objects. Just take care of the Spark like it is a proper aircraft carrying humans and you will be totally fine. I also do the compass dance every time I go for a fly.... Usually at the same beach spot too so it just a guarantee for me.

Some good tips for your videos and pics..... I upscale my video to 1080p @ 60fps using Windows Movie Maker..... and with panorama use DJI Media Maker.... when the app on your phone does it it crops quite a fair bit than it needs to and the resolution is a lower quality compared to using DJI Media Maker.

For us in Australia use an app called "Can I Fly There" and another called "UAV Forcast".
If your ever on the Sunshine Coast look me up...

Would the cable cause charging from the RC to the phone, or vice versa?

Thanks everyone.

I’ve just discovered the OTG cable seems to charge the controller from the phone, and absolutely smashes my iPhone 6 Plus battery.

The RC controller had been on charge all night but when I flew this am, my iPhone went from 35% to 1% within minutes. The iPhone is a couple years old and battery is knackered - I have to charge by lunchtime normally, but does anyone know why the RC draws so much juice from the phone ?

It actually warned me - my accessory is drawing too much power and shut it down.

Thanks everyone.

I’ve just discovered the OTG cable seems to charge the controller from the phone, and absolutely smashes my iPhone 6 Plus battery.

The RC controller had been on charge all night but when I flew this am, my iPhone went from 35% to 1% within minutes. The iPhone is a couple years old and battery is knackered - I have to charge by lunchtime normally, but does anyone know why the RC draws so much juice from the phone ?

It actually warned me - my accessory is drawing too much power and shut it down.
Turn your otg cable around, these usually works only one way, if your phone is charging the controller it s because it s connected in the wrong way. Try it and see the result.

Reactions: BlancoRob
Turn your otg cable around, these usually works only one way, if your phone is charging the controller it s because it s connected in the wrong way. Try it and see the result.
Ok.

Ill double check but I don’t think we can have many options with the cable - it has a mini USB plug which can only plug into the RC, The iPhone end requires. lightning plug so they can’t be swapped or reversed.

Others have said this is normal for IPhone and you need a full charge to fly a couple of batteries. Expect each flight to drain battery by 20-30% percentage points. I started my last flight at 25-30% which wasn’t enough. I flew like 3 min and then had to come back and land.

I think I’ll ditch the cable and just use the wifi option as it seems the cable mostly benefits Android users.

Last edited:
Ok.

Ill double check but I don’t think we can have many options with the cable - it has a mini USB plug which can only plug into the RC, The iPhone end requires. lightning plug so they can’t be swapped or reversed.

Others have said this is normal for IPhone and you need a full charge to fly a couple of batteries. Expect each flight to drain battery by 20-30% percentage points. I started my last flight at 25-30% which wasn’t enough. I flew like 3 min and then had to come back and land.

I think I’ll ditch the cable and just use the wifi option as it seems the cable mostly benefits Android users.
Sorry you are right, i read too fast and missed the Iphone part. On android you can find otg cables with the same micro usb plug on both ends so you can easily confuse one end with another. Sorry my bad here. I forgot iphones use the lightning plug

I don’t think we can have many options with the cable - it has a mini USB plug which can only plug into the RC, The iPhone end requires. lightning plug so they can’t be swapped or reversed

First time Apple user myself.

I use a regular USB to Apple lighting cable to my mini4 tablet ( just for Spark) WITH the OTG thingy (that came with my everyday Galaxy S7) connected to the RC.

The adapter works for me.

I had the battery draining quickly from the day I uploaded the DJI App, the phone is a Samsung J5 about a year old the battery drained even after I stopped flying and closed the App. to solve this problem I had to go in the applications and Force Stop the DJI app when not in use, the next time you open the app it turns on, however when I finished flying I always go into the applications and force Stop the app so it doesn´t continue running and drain the battery

Ok.

Have you considered using a micro usb/usb cable with a micro usb/lightning adapter? I know USB cables have 1 end as a "host" and this determines the functionality of the cable. I found on my android phone plugging the cable in one way would default to simply charging the RC, turn the cable around and then it would work as a DATA cable and connect to the DJI app.

Have you considered using a micro usb/usb cable with a micro usb/lightning adapter? I know USB cables have 1 end as a "host" and this determines the functionality of the cable. I found on my android phone plugging the cable in one way would default to simply charging the RC, turn the cable around and then it would work as a DATA cable and connect to the DJI app.
Hi Nicholas,

What you describe is what I’m using. Micro USB to USB from crontrolelr, then USB to lightning for the phone connection. Each flight uses around 30 % of my 3 year old iPhone battery. I think the fact th iPhone is 3 years old and battery probably only 75% of its new capacity is primarily the problem. Apple will install a new battery for $120 so I’ll probably do that. As it is today I have to charge phone by lunchtime - it’s knackered.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit