Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

B4UFLY Confusion

Bob Johnston

Join
May 2, 2018
Want to fly this area of the pin in the B4ufly app, but confused how to interpret the information. The A292 I believe is a general caution flag, the pin is not in the national park restricted airspace(even though it shows the park restriction flag), nor does it appear to be in the NAS airspace. How do I interpret this information.?
Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200211-082358_B4UFLY.png
    Screenshot_20200211-082358_B4UFLY.png
    306.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20200211-082410_B4UFLY.png
    Screenshot_20200211-082410_B4UFLY.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 44
According to my AIRMAP app, your location is in Class C airspace and may need approval before flight.

Screenshot_20200211-100452_AirMap.jpg

Screenshot_20200211-100408_AirMap.jpg

I havn't used the FAA LAANC approval system but more information can be found here.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: I B Spectre
You're at the edge of NAS Pensacola Forrest Sherman Field airspace. Be advised, Takeoffs and landings from Florida State Parks and National Seashore Park areas is prohibited.

Want to fly this area of the pin in the B4ufly app, but confused how to interpret the information. The A292 I believe is a general caution flag, the pin is not in the national park restricted airspace(even though it shows the park restriction flag), nor does it appear to be in the NAS airspace. How do I interpret this information.?
Thank you.
When in doubt, go to the definitive source. The B4UFly and AirMap are only aids. If you check the VFR Sectional chart for the area, you can see that you are just barely outside the Pensacola NAS Class C Airspace (about 2000 feet). However, if you check the FAA UAS Facilities Map, you are solidly inside a 400 ft altitude grid box. Since the grid boxes are square and the airspace boundaries are round, this sort of thing happens at the outside edges.

I haven't looked at the National Park boundaries, so that is a completely different issue. For airspace considerations alone, I would plan on getting LAANC authorization and then be very careful to stay within the lateral boundaries and maximum altitude of the approved request.

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I see the boundaries more clearly on the FAA UAS Facilities Map. The inclusion of the National seashore restricted zone in the drop down list in spite of the waypoint being outside the National Seashore park threw me and I wonder why it was included in the drop down list. Obviously the Florida ban on state park flying makes a flight out of the question. Im primarily trying to understand how the apps work.

And, you always want to zoom in close to your position.
AirMap alerts you to ALL zones viewed on the current screen.
For example, at default, you may see a no fly zone/ restricted air space that will make your flight status red.
However, those zones on the default view may be 10+ miles away and not affect your local area flight.
Zoom in to your launch position, the zone disappears from the screen and the flight status turns green.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav