Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Battery Eject!!

Feastie

Join
May 22, 2018
Hi All,

just over three weeks back, I was flying with the intention of going as high as I dared, prior to the new laws coming in later this month.
I took it to 500ft and all was well. I changed to S-Mode, had a little look around to check direction and location, then pushed full right.
Off it went for around 1.5 seconds before I saw it split in two and drop rather quickly!
Disaster, my Spark landed on hard ground, the battery nowhere to be found.
I sent the package off to DJI in the Netherlands to be assessed and they emailed saying there would be a 130 Euro bill.
I explained that, as it was still under warranty and there was no pilot error, it should be free.
They requested flight log details, which I supplied, then a couple of days later I received a fantastic email saying all was covered.
The only thing I am waiting for is confirmation of a free battery, whihc they have seemingly missed details of twice.
Great service, which you can track online.
Can't wait to get my beastie back. I will fit the safety brace immediately!

Hi All,

just over three weeks back, I was flying with the intention of going as high as I dared, prior to the new laws coming in later this month.
I took it to 500ft and all was well. I changed to S-Mode, had a little look around to check direction and location, then pushed full right.
Off it went for around 1.5 seconds before I saw it split in two and drop rather quickly!
I sent the package off to DJI in the Netherlands to be assessed and they emailed saying there would be a 130 Euro bill.
I explained that, as it was still under warranty and there was no pilot error, it should be free.
They requested flight log details, which I supplied, then a couple of days later I received a fantastic email saying all was covered.
The only thing I am waiting for is confirmation of a free battery, whihc they have seemingly missed details of twice.
I have the battery brace thing I never fly the spark without it.
I absolutely fly the socks off the thing and it gives me peace of mind that I know my battery is never going to fly out.

Hi All,

Excellent news! It's about time we see DJI reimbursing someone because of this battery issue! I get SOOO irritated at people swearing that it's always user error!

Reactions: goixiz
Funny how DJI won't recall the old batteries, or provide Spark owners a free battery clip for CYA.

Seems they rely on you to fly, have a disconnect mid flight, possibly endangering people and property, finding the Spark and battery if lucky, upload flight logs, and then it might be considered for warranty depending on the flight logs.

Makes business since I guess?

Last edited:
Reactions: DPK
Hi All,

Yeah, my friend also has a spark and it happened to him too, luckily at a much lower altitude, he sent it off yesterday, we'll see if its covered.

This happened to me on the weekend also, I was flying all day no issues and I was on a boat. Was back on land taking some photos from 90M took it back down to around 15M , put it in sport mode and gave it full forward power and in about 1 second I also saw it split in 2 and the drone dropped right into the lake.. I sunk right to the bottom.. I was able to recover it but man that was a mission! Sending mine in today under warranty.. They best send me a battery also!! And I also agree I don't understand how they do not provide a battery clip with this known issue.. I wouldn't care to put on a clip..

This happened to me on the weekend also, I was flying all day no issues and I was on a boat. Was back on land taking some photos from 90M took it back down to around 15M , put it in sport mode and gave it full forward power and in about 1 second I also saw it split in 2 and the drone dropped right into the lake.. I sunk right to the bottom.. I was able to recover it but man that was a mission! Sending mine in today under warranty.. They best send me a battery also!! And I also agree I don't understand how they do not provide a battery clip with this known issue.. I wouldn't care to put on a clip..

I think this all happens due to a battery manufacturing defect. I suggest trying to juggle your battery before flying and see if it comes out, it's a good failsafe.

I think this all happens due to a battery manufacturing defect. I suggest trying to juggle your battery before flying and see if it comes out, it's a good failsafe.

See and that's just it...I (and others) always check to ensure it's in properly by tugging/jiggling it and still had one fall out! Luckily I was only 5ft up when it happened. On other forums, a ton of people are swearing it's user error saying they must not have checked to make sure it's secure...and the famous line is "I've flown for xxx flights and have never had a battery fall out...so it MUST be user error".

See and that's just it...I (and others) always check to ensure it's in properly by tugging/jiggling it and still had one fall out! Luckily I was only 5ft up when it happened. On other forums, a ton of people are swearing it's user error saying they must not have checked to make sure it's secure...and the famous line is "I've flown for xxx flights and have never had a battery fall out...so it MUST be user error".

Yep, I actually replied on a reddit post on the 4th saying to the guy it was user error and his fault.. I have flown RC for 20 years and I have experienced the pop out while the drone was in my hand. I checked pre flight every time and on the 6th it happened to me.. Karma? Maybe but non the less, just a really poor design !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Hddeuce03
since day 1 before i took diapers off

Attachments

• IxizDSbattband.jpg
    IxizDSbattband.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 195
Yep, I actually replied on a reddit post on the 4th saying to the guy it was user error and his fault.. I have flown RC for 20 years and I have experienced the pop out while the drone was in my hand. I checked pre flight every time and on the 6th it happened to me.. Karma? Maybe but non the less, just a really poor design !!!!!!!!!!

its because the eject spring is too strong vs the retention mechanism (once the retention mechanism wear a tad and thats the end).

THERE IS NO REASON TO HAVE AN EJECTION SPRING (Especially the way the batt gets loaded)

I like the O ring.

Looks like you can still use the prop guards with an O ring versus the clip.

I'd prefer to fly with both but l can't and have to make a decision.
Take a chance on the battery holding and fly with the guards so the Spark may survive a bird attack or let my guards down (pun intended) and stay with the clip.

I'm thinking the battery is more of a priority because once it's gone, gravity takes over and who cares about birds at that point. Unless it's crashing into a bird sanctuary.

Is that an O-Ring? Brilliant! I guess we could just bring our Spark into the hardware store to get the correct size but do you know what size it is?

Its a #140 oring its BUNA 80 Durometer - you can get a stiffer duro or softer its up to you
Its a tad on the tight side but i rather have that than too loose
And it stays on the drone when i remove the battery so i never loose it and i use the same one for other things i design

I like the O ring.

Looks like you can still use the prop guards with an O ring versus the clip.

I'd prefer to fly with both but l can't and have to make a decision.
Take a chance on the battery holding and fly with the guards so the Spark may survive a bird attack or let my guards down (pun intended) and stay with the clip.

I'm thinking the battery is more of a priority because once it's gone, gravity takes over and who cares about birds at that point. Unless it's crashing into a bird sanctuary.
if bird attacks your drone you are doomed anyways (unless you outrun them)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef