Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Battery firmware update failed - now what?

T.Kauffman

Join
Jan 5, 2018
I just installed 1.00.900 - the spark updated but the battery update failed (remove and re-insert battery); failed 3 times. I put the second battery in and ran the update through to the end, no problems. Spark, controller, and battery. But the first battery still fails update and won't turn off. I have it in front of me and the two center LEDs are on.

Is the battery bricked? What do I do from here?

Try rolling back to 0701 with DJI Assistant 2 and then go straight to 0900
Hope that works
That only works if I can get assistant to install the unsigned device driver - I found a process slightly more acceptable today, but I'll need to hit a wifi hotspot to download assistant again. And the roads in Northern Indiana are not worth driving on right now.

Don't let the battery discharge, put it back on the charger and keep charging it for 2 hours.
If you let it discharge then it will be bricked.

Do the battery firmware upgrade again via DJI Assistant 2 on the PC, remember to turn the AC on after connecting to the PC via usb

Don't let the battery discharge, put it back on the charger and keep charging it for 2 hours.
If you let it discharge then it will be bricked.

Do the battery firmware upgrade again via DJI Assistant 2 on the PC, remember to turn the AC on after connecting to the PC via usb

Charging led is showing red on the charger with the battery attached - and I staill have LEDs 2 and 3 lit on the battery.

Yes, it will show like that but it's charging in the background

Well, it has been on the charger since the last post with no change.

I got the unsigned device drivers for assistant 2 installed, fired up the spark, attached it to my system - and get warnings about two removable disks. I launch assistant - and get nothing. According to device manager both device drivers are working - but this is what I see:
!Image1.jpg

I got the unsigned device drivers for assistant 2 installed, fired up the spark, attached it to my system - and get warnings about two removable disks. I launch assistant - and get nothing. According to device manager both device drivers are working - but this is what I see:
View attachment 2822

(This is with the working battery installed) Also, just a shot in the dark - but running as administrator didn't change anything.

View attachment 2822

Yes, the battery status lights don't change when it's in this state, but it is charged in the background.

The challenge is trying to get DJI Assistant 2 to work, when you tried to connect with the working battery , did you turn the AC on ?

You may need to turn off the Windows 10 driver signature enforcement, so the relevant drivers for DJI assistant can load when you start the application

The easiest process is option 2 in the following how-to

https://www.howtogeek.com/167723 ... l-unsigned-drivers/

Note, if you restart the PC you will have to do the process again as the change is not permanent

Yes, the battery status lights don't change when it's in this state, but it is charged in the background.

The challenge is trying to get DJI Assistant 2 to work, when you tried to connect with the working battery , did you turn the AC on ?

You may need to turn off the Windows 10 driver signature enforcement, so the relevant drivers for DJI assistant can load when you start the application

The easiest process is option 2 in the following how-to

https://www.howtogeek.com/167723 ... l-unsigned-drivers/

Note, if you restart the PC you will have to do the process again as the change is not permanent

That's the process I used to install the drivers and it worked.

Sequence I followed -
1) install Assistant and drivers (I got prompted to install two unsigned drivers -and device manager shows the devices as active and functioning)
2) rebooted
3) (much later, at wifi hotspot) - installed usb cable on AC and powered it up with good battery
4) launched assistant
5) plugged usb cable into laptop

Tried shutting down assistant and restarting with cable attached to laptop - no change.

Just tried shutting down AC and assistant, starting assistant, and then starting AC - also no change.

When the AC plugs into the laptop both Vision (Interface 3) under libusb-win32 services and DJI USB Virtual COM (COM3) under Ports (COM & LPT) activate. I'm about to dump this entire mess on DJI tomorrow, as this is getting just over the top ridiculous.

The last thing I have is, are you using the latest version of DJI Assistant which is v.1.2.0 ?

The last thing I have is, are you using the latest version of DJI Assistant which is v.1.2.0 ?

The installer claims to be DJI Assistant 2 1.2.0.exe - and , of course, the splash screen is no help, claiming to be 'version v' in the lower right hand corner.

BTW - thanks for the help - much appreciated, even if I'm not getting any results.

I'm wondering if this silly software package requires a specific drive letter assignment - the memory card is coming in as 'Disk 1' and getting the drive letter 'J' while the spark is coming in as 'Disk 2' and shows no device letter (claimed to be 'removable - no media' in Disk Manager). I have a stack of USB drives with hard-assigned drive letters on this system, which includes C, D, and E on the internal drive and runs from there. . .

I'm wondering if this silly software package requires a specific drive letter assignment - the memory card is coming in as 'Disk 1' and getting the drive letter 'J' while the spark is coming in as 'Disk 2' and shows no device letter (claimed to be 'removable - no media' in Disk Manager). I have a stack of USB drives with hard-assigned drive letters on this system, which includes C, D, and E on the internal drive and runs from there. . .

You could try manually assigning a drive letter to the Spark, which I haven't had to do as mine has always appeared automatically in the file explorer as USB Drive (F) and allows me to access the DCIM and MISC subfolders in it

In the menu where you can eject usb devices my Spark appears as a specific DJI device with the F drive listed below it, it has it's own DJI identity and is not a USB generic device.

Any chance you can use another PC ?

I notice on my DJI Assistant app, I get a very clear version 1.2.0 in the bottom corner, while your doesn't, have you tried the assistant re install

DJI Assistant 2 - Copy.JPG

Here is a copy of my DJI device properties

Dji spark properties - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
You could try manually assigning a drive letter to the Spark, which I haven't had to do as mine has always appeared automatically in the file explorer as USB Drive (F)

In the menu where you can eject usb devices my Spark appear as a specific DJI device with the F drive listed below it, it has it's own DJI identity and is not a USB generic device.

Any chance you can use another PC ?

I notice on my DJI Assistant app, I get a very clear version in the bottom corner, while yours is missing

View attachment 2830

View attachment 2831

I've a pair of Windows 7 pro systems at home - but they have no realistic internet access; my home internet is dial-up from an opensuse linux system.

I do NOT recall seeing a 'DJI File-CD Gadget USB Device'

Also - just WHERE is the proper assistant 2 download? I've been using the one at Mavic Pro– Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads that I found with google; there really should be a link off the Spark product home page.

I'll play some more tonight with the versions you linked to above and then dump on the DJI support site email if I'm still lost.

Reactions: PaulsSpark104
I've a pair of Windows 7 pro systems at home - but they have no realistic internet access; my home internet is dial-up from an opensuse linux system.

I do NOT recall seeing a 'DJI File-CD Gadget USB Device'

Also - just WHERE is the proper assistant 2 download? I've been using the one at Mavic Pro– Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads that I found with google; there really should be a link off the Spark product home page.

I'll play some more tonight with the versions you linked to above and then dump on the DJI support site email if I'm still lost.

This thread might provide some ideas on a solution if your using windows 7

DJI Assistant 2 driver issues

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme