Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Best way to download "original" footage from Spark

SpeedCore

Join
Oct 2, 2017
Loc
Austria
Hey,
I was wondering, what's the best way to download the recorded videos and photos from the Spark? Actually, there are three ways to do it:

1. Eject the microSD card, stick it into an adapter and plug it into your pc/laptop (almost instantly)
2. Connect the Spark to the RC, connect the mobile device to the RC and start the wireless download (400kb/s)
3. Bring the spark into the "direct wifi" mode and connect your mobile phone to the Spark directly (4500kb/s)

So way 1 would be the fastest way, but you have to organize your videos and photos manually. When I use 2. or 3. and transfer the files directly to my iPhone, it will sync with my MacBook and the footage will automatically show up in my photos app.

Way 2 would be the best for transferring just a few photos, because it's the slowest way of all. The advantage is that you don't have to switch the Spark to the "direct wifi" mode (2 beeps) and afterwards switch it back to RC mode (1 beep).

At the moment, I stick to way 3 when I have to transfer more footage. It still takes some time and I have to switch modes on the Spark, but this way panorama shot will transfer to the dji go app and I don't have to manage the footage manually on my iDevices.

Is there "one way for everything" and I'm just missing that or do you really have to chose one of the ways mentioned bades on the amount of files you want to transfer? In general I think transferring media from the Spark is a big pain-in-the-butt or I'm just doing something wrong. Looking forward to your hints on that topic.

Reactions: newbie-horeb
So your Spark is just sitting there, powered up, using precious battery LIFE while transferring files?

Method 1 is preferred in my status.

Dump the card in the PC in a date related folder to keep organized and get back to flying.:)

You can come back later and do what you want in post production.

So your Spark is just sitting there, powered up, using precious battery LIFE while transferring files?
Yep, what a waste of time and battery power :(

You can come back later and do what you want in post production.
Got your point, but what do you do with quickshot pictures like Panorama and ShallowFocus? These are single pictures with a corresponding html file on the sd card. You have to load them into the dji go 4 app for processing. Best practice here?

Reactions: pvitale
To be honest, I haven't gotten that far yet.

There's posts on this forum on how to stitch them with 3rd party apps if you don't want to use the Go4 app.

Do a search on stitching photos.

I already read about Mircosoft ICE for stitching photos, but I think it's more convenient to have the Go4 app doing this for me. Plus, I can find the "finished" QuickShot pictures in my album in the Go4 app afterwards. I was just wondering if there's a better way to get the files off the Spark, but apparently it's not o_O

I already read about Mircosoft ICE for stitching photos, but I think it's more convenient to have the Go4 app doing this for me. Plus, I can find the "finished" QuickShot pictures in my album in the Go4 app afterwards. I was just wondering if there's a better way to get the files off the Spark, but apparently it's not o_O

I use method 1 always and the quickshots are ready to view on the PC from the SD card straight away it's only the panoramas that require stitching and I do that in ICE

I tried ShallowFocus once and noticed that there's a folder called "ShallowFocus" with the single shots in it. If I'm understanding the technology right, the "ShallowFocus" mode shoots some pictures from slightly different angles and blends these single shots to create the blur. Couldn't find "that one" blurry shot but all the single shots in the folder. Maybe I did something wrong?

Reactions: Dave woods
The result is not stored on the aircraft, it's processed and stored in the GO4 app. Need to share/export from there.

I'll add a fourth option: Plug one end of usb cable into the Spark and the other end into PC, Laptop, or phone/tablet with OTG cable. The Spark then appears as a disk drive or folder and from there you can transfer files.

Yes I know the Spark is powered up for this, but it doesn't take long.and it's usually after I'm done for the day. The PC transfer rate runs around 15 MB/sec to my PC. This has the advantage of never taking the Spark out with no micro SD card installed.

That's why I'm exporting (almost) everything to the Go4 app and not the raw data via sd card exchange.
Currently there is only the shallow focus (if used) that would need to be created from the Go4 app. Panorama can be better processed from other tools on the computer.
Personally, I prefer solution 1) with a set of 16G cards that are numbered and used in sequence.

11 minutes is about 2GB, so a 16GB is about 8 flights, 32GB with 16 flights, 64GB is 32 flights.
So it depend how you operate and transfer files for processing. If your software can handle just new files from the card, then a large card can be ok, but at a point or another you will have to delete some. I prefer to format them in the Spark for first flight of the day and then exchange when back as a rule. With 6 batteries, I have no issue using a 16GB, I cannot fly and generate video more than its capacity.

I noticed that exported files from the dji go 4 come in 720 P. IF you want the higher resolution shots, you must go to the sd card.

Reactions: Spark4Me
Totally agree with Pappy, that's what I do and there is less risk of corrupting or damaging the sd card[emoji3][emoji106]

Anyone have this issue? I installed my SD card (SanDisc), from spark into my computer and transfered the pics and videos. Some of the videos i took were not showing on my computer, its like those videos were never on the SD card.

Anyone have this issue? I installed my SD card (SanDisc), from spark into my computer and transfered the pics and videos. Some of the videos i took were not showing on my computer, its like those videos were never on the SD card.
Never mind. Found missing vids in a different location in computer.

Yes, Pappy's 4th option is the way with fewest hazzles. I organize my raw footage on an external drive. Just plug the USB end of the DJI cable into your computer while your spark is turned on, it will pop up as an external drive, and move the files over.
The spark wont consume much battery while its engines are not running anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67