Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Calibrating IMU for DJI Spark

Joshua7

Join
Jul 1, 2019
If I calibrate the IMU and the compass for my Spark and fly, then move an entirely different location to fly again, does the IMU have to be re-calibrated again?
or, how often is it necessary to calibrate the IMU? I understand the requirement for calibrating the compass at each location.

Hello from Hoosier Heartland Joshua7.

You should be able to do both the first time and the Spark will be fine for future flights.

The Go4 app should alert you if something needs calibrated.

Do the compass calibration outside, away from anything metallic, including concrete, which may contain rebar.

Remove any metallic objects from yourself and follow the instructions in the Go4 app.

The IMU calibration can be done inside.
When following the instructions, pay attention to the placement of the DJI logo as the app walks you through the steps.

Some pilots get hung up on step 2 of the process because the image flips on the screen and is waiting for you to flip the Spark.

I have had my Spark since 2017 and probably calibrated it twice and no problems with the flights.
Even when I've traveled a few hundred miles away from home.

If you're a world traveler, then maybe calibrate on each continent.?

Good luck and welcome to the Forum.:cool:

Some pilots get hung up on step 2 of the process because the image flips on the screen and is waiting for you to flip the Spark.

Yup! That tripped me up.

Your IMU and Compass don't need to be calibrated very often.

Hello from Hoosier Heartland Joshua7.

You should be able to do both the first time and the Spark will be fine for future flights.

The Go4 app should alert you if something needs calibrated.

Do the compass calibration outside, away from anything metallic, including concrete, which may contain rebar.

Remove any metallic objects from yourself and follow the instructions in the Go4 app.

The IMU calibration can be done inside.
When following the instructions, pay attention to the placement of the DJI logo as the app walks you through the steps.

I have had my Spark since 2017 and probably calibrated it twice and no problems with the flights.
Even when I've traveled a few hundred miles away from home.

If you're a world traveler, then maybe calibrate on each continent.?

Good luck and welcome to the Forum.:cool:
I had an experience once . Just before flying I calibrated the compass and at the same time also tested the obstacle avoidance against a wall . Just after the obstacle testing the compass error notice appeared and had to calibrate again . After that it was ok . Strange never experience this before . Anyone experience this before

I had an experience once . Just before flying I calibrated the compass and at the same time also tested the obstacle avoidance against a wall . Just after the obstacle testing the compass error notice appeared and had to calibrate again . After that it was ok . Strange never experience this before . Anyone experience this before

All that happened was something metal in the wall interfered with the compass. All you needed to do is step away from the wall. Phoebe is an effective rebar detector.

Reactions: RotorWash
And remove the propellers before imu calibration. Always thought this was not necessary . But if you don't do it. Spark thinks about 3 degrees is horizontal and same for vertical calibration.

All that happened was something metal in the wall interfered with the compass. All you needed to do is step away from the wall. Phoebe is an effective rebar detector.
Tks for the reply. Btw I did pull back the drone and when I tried to yaw right and left it started to decent . By which time the battery was low after changing the battery the compass error flashed on the screen

Thanks for these helpful comments,
Joshua7
Bangor, Co. Down,
Northern Ireland
If I calibrate the IMU and the compass for my Spark and fly, then move an entirely different location to fly again, does the IMU have to be re-calibrated again?
or, how often is it necessary to calibrate the IMU? I understand the requirement for calibrating the compass at each location.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe