Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Calling all Mavic and Spark users - real world differences?

Jose Ramos

Join
Oct 3, 2017
Note: I've also posted this on the Mavic forum, so that I can gather info from users who have both drones but only participate in one of the forums.

Hello there,

I've had my Dji Spark for two months. Right now I'm sitting on the fence about accepting a deal to add a Mavic Pro to the lineup. The DJI Spark was my first ever drone and, even though I've had a LOT of problems with it (GPS lost issues, currently under warranty processing), I'm loving the possibilities a drone offers to complement my photographic activity.

Since purchasing the Mavic is still a big investment, considering my budget I have a few real world questions about the Mavic Vs Spark:

1) Is the Mavic clearly MORE stable in termos of GPS stability, RC connection, etc, when compared with the Spark?

2) Are there currently any serious issues with the Mavic Pro that might make me think twice about buying it? I've read some horror stories about excessive flare/glare, for example. What do you think? Has it been long enough in the market so that we can now consider it to be quite a stable drone?

3) I've flown the Spark in quite strong winds, and it handled fantastically. Unfortunately, since the gimbal only has two axis, there are some times when I get a small horizontal jitter, which only affects certain parts of the video, which is probably caused by electronic stabilization of the third axis. In strong winds is the Mavic three axis gimbal clearly superior, and footage is always stable?

4) The Spark looks like a toy, that catches people's attention, and they don't seem to feel threatened by it. Do you really think the Mavic might have a more negative reaction in people?

5) I've read the noise of the Spark is higher pitched when compared to the Mavic? Do you think one is clearly louder than the other?

6) Is the RAW file of a Mavic clearly more detailed than a Spark jpeg?

7) Is it true that editing 4K video on an average computer which can easily handle 1080p will be a nightmare?

8) Apart from flying indoors, when do you think the Spark would be clearly more superior?

Thanks a lot for your time! Your help is much appreciated!

I don't have a Mavic, have a P3A. If anything, the 3rd axis on the gimbal will be a boon for photography. You can slow the shutter way down and still get clear shots at night. I've done 5 second exposures with sharp results.

My question to you is; "Why do you want a Mavic"? What is it you want out of your next drone?

I've got a Spark, Mavic, Phantom 4, and Inspire. And I'll be honest, the Mavic sees the least amount of use. Reason is, its the "jack of all trades, master of none". I find I use the my Spark and Phantom 4 the most.

When I need portability, I use/bring the Spark. When I'm after better video or picture quality, the Phantom 4 comes out. I find the Phantom and the Spark compliment each other well.

IF you had NO drone and wanted something that could do a little of everything, the Mavic is a good choice. But you already have the Spark. You'll see too much overlap and you'll find that the Spark is just going to sit. Sure the Mavic isn't very large folded, but add in the larger batteries, Mavmount, and the accessories it does take up more space. But I'm sure you already have your mind set...

So I'll address your questions.

1) I have found ZERO issues with GPS stability, RC Connection with any of my DJI drones. I keep in mind the capabilities and limitations of each of my drones. So no issues...

2) No issues with my Mavic what-so-ever. I actually find that my Spark I need to play with the settings sometimes to get a good shot. But rarely. If quality images are what you are after then the Phantom 4 would be a better choice.

3) The Mavic is very good in high winds, better than the Spark, but not as good as the Phantom 4. I've flown my P4 in high winds with gusts over 25 mph and you could barely see the camera move in videos.

4) Knock on wood, I've been fortunate and have had no issues with people and my drones.

5) Volume or db-wise they sound about the same to me. I saw a test with the Mavic Platinum and the new blades do seem to quiet it down at tree top altitudes.

6) I can't comment as I've not used RAW, but RAW typically allows you to do more manipulation of the image...

7) Depends on the CPU of your computer, how much memory you have etc. I found my 5 year old Imac couldn't handle it, way too slow, so I bought a new one a couple years ago and it works great.

8) The place where I see the Spark shine is its compact size and ease into get into the air. I've thrown my Spark in its original case into my backpack and hopped on Flights with no issue and still have tons of room in my backpack. Its also faster to get into the air. No gimbal lock to remove, Just very easy to use. Also I like using it in tight spaces/places as its smaller than the Mavic unfolded.

Note: I've also posted this on the Mavic forum, so that I can gather info from users who have both drones but only participate in one of the forums.

Hello there,

I've had my Dji Spark for two months. Right now I'm sitting on the fence about accepting a deal to add a Mavic Pro to the lineup. The DJI Spark was my first ever drone and, even though I've had a LOT of problems with it (GPS lost issues, currently under warranty processing), I'm loving the possibilities a drone offers to complement my photographic activity.

Since purchasing the Mavic is still a big investment, considering my budget I have a few real world questions about the Mavic Vs Spark:

1) Is the Mavic clearly MORE stable in termos of GPS stability, RC connection, etc, when compared with the Spark?

2) Are there currently any serious issues with the Mavic Pro that might make me think twice about buying it? I've read some horror stories about excessive flare/glare, for example. What do you think? Has it been long enough in the market so that we can now consider it to be quite a stable drone?

3) I've flown the Spark in quite strong winds, and it handled fantastically. Unfortunately, since the gimbal only has two axis, there are some times when I get a small horizontal jitter, which only affects certain parts of the video, which is probably caused by electronic stabilization of the third axis. In strong winds is the Mavic three axis gimbal clearly superior, and footage is always stable?

4) The Spark looks like a toy, that catches people's attention, and they don't seem to feel threatened by it. Do you really think the Mavic might have a more negative reaction in people?

5) I've read the noise of the Spark is higher pitched when compared to the Mavic? Do you think one is clearly louder than the other?

7) Is it true that editing 4K video on an average computer which can easily handle 1080p will be a nightmare?

8) Apart from flying indoors, when do you think the Spark would be clearly more superior?

I've been considering the Mavic too for 2 main reasons, battery life and the 3 axis gimbal.
I love the Spark but there are times I find it quite tricky to get a smooth panning (yaw) shot due to the gimbal being only 2 axis.
The digital stabilisation has it's shortcomings, for sure.
And I quite often find I'm just getting into a flight when the battery starts running low and have to land.
Minor grumbles really that I can live with for now but if I was to buy another drone, it would most likely be the Mavic.

Spark battery 1380mah 3s Mavi battery 3380mah
spark: 2 axis gimbal Mavic: 3 axis gimbal
spark 12-14min flight time Mavic 20-26min
spark 1080p 30fps Mavic 4k

My spark flies like a dream, and at some point i will proably get a mavic.... but the reason i purchased the spark was for holidays, outings and travelling and you know what it does what it says on the tin! Big plus for me is that you can charge the spark of a power bank which when hiking or or mtb you can just charge it in your back pack......

I think they are two different worlds

I would actually get a P4 or a P3 Pro rather than the Mavic Pro. The Mavic Pro is a step up from the Spark but it does attract a bit more attention as you can't really palm launch so you have hunt around for a flat area and you still have the whole unfolding the arms, removing the gimbal clamp and cover, booting up etc.

The Mavic Pro camera is better, but its not superb and you really see the difference compared with the P3 or P4. The gimbal is also really fragile compared with the Spark or Phantom.

Battery life is great on the Mavic, more than you would ever need. In nearly a year of having a Mavic Pro I have only got to RTH battery level once.

I tend to agree with sparkbart, my next drone is going to be the Phantom 4 Pro, it's the better 4k camera comparing phantom and mavic

I tend to agree with sparkbart, my next drone is going to be the Phantom 4 Pro, it's the better 4k camera comparing phantom and mavic
My p4p is the least used in the fleet. It all comes down to your use case. Mp performs across the board and I would call it the master of several for the shots I like to get. Dlog and bit of post and I can put my footage next to my p4p no problem. P4p is so much larger and louder that I usually don't bother lugging it around. If you like the spark but need better optics and flight time mp may be the ticket... Or the next generation phantom that I have to believe will be a significantly smaller package.

Reactions: Zoran
I can tell you what the Mavic does better than just about any consumer/prosumer quad on the market: RANGE. If you are interested in distance, the Mavic is king of the hill.

I have both - Mavic Flymore and Spark only (povo-pack no controller). Mavic is for more serious speed and distance. Spark is for upclose and personal.

Spark without controller has a few advantages over the Mavic.
- Small tiny case that weighs as much as a coke can with an extra battery.
- Without the controller, getting airborne takes 30 seconds (even less if gesture)
- 1080p and 12mpx is good for quick uploads and edits.
- More adventurous with the spark - you will fly in places you wouldn't with the mavic and you will take more risk as the spark is cheaper and cops the gimbal can cop more abuse.

On a side note, with the new pleasantly sound props, the mavic pro seems quite nice to fly.
Like everyone said, you cant go wrong with the Mavic. Just the best all-rounder quad.

Not a big deal if you live in the USA as "Line of Sight" is all you are "supposed" to fly...

I can tell you what the Mavic does better than just about any consumer/prosumer quad on the market: RANGE. If you are interested in distance, the Mavic is king of the hill.

Reactions: czechmark
Not a big deal if you live in the USA as "Line of Sight" is all you are "supposed" to fly...

Night flying with strobes I can go out 2+ miles and keep VLOS at all times with my Mavic. Don't even need to squint.

Yeah, I can actually see mine better and further at low light levels too like dusk or dawn... Still conforms to the rules of LOS....

Night flying with strobes I can go out 2+ miles and keep VLOS at all times with my Mavic. Don't even need to squint.

I have the Mavic Pro (flymore) and I recently bought a Spark (flymore). The Spark is fun to fly but the Mavic is far more superior than the Spark in my opinion. I am not sorry that I bought the Spark, I am happy that I have both!

Reactions: Anthony kenny
I have the Mavic Pro (flymore) and I recently bought a Spark (flymore). The Spark is fun to fly but the Mavic is far more superior than the Spark in my opinion. I am not sorry that I bought the Spark, I am happy that I have both!
My experience too. Mavic enables you to do a lot of creative imagery but you really have to plan ahead with settings, etc. Spark is fun, immediate and, with it's paired down settings, more like the snapshot cameras of old. To my mind they complement rather than compete with each other.

I have a Mavic for 6 months now and just bought a Spark. After only a few flights with the Spark, I would say that the Spark is great to have in a trip, small, lightweight and does not draw too much attention - people think it as toy... In Sport mode, the gimbal disarms sometimes. I have the impression that the Mavic is more stable and the flight is more consistent. The range is definitely way better. But the main difference is the battery. The actual flight time of the Mavic is almost 2x the Spark's. You definitely need 3 or 4 batteries for the Spark.

G

Hello there,

I have had a Spark and a Mavic, first I had the spark but because of the range (with controller) was terrible in CE mode I sold it and bought a Mavic. Really happy with it and it gives way more confidence to fly with it.

You can do much more in PhotoShop with the Mavic's RAW image file format.
On my rotorless camera, I shoot only RAW format.
If don't want to fiddle with PhotoShop, the Spark's images are fine.
I've ordered a Mavic Pro Platinum for delivery by the time I get back to the USA. The main reasons for the Mavic purchase are the ~30-minute flight times, and the RAW image files.
In the meantime, here is a .jpg panoramic form my Spark of the poolside BBQ at my apartment in Singapore.

View media item 89

Last edited:
Saludos
Mi opinión de los 2 (tengo ambos)
1) si definitivamente es más mucho más estable especialmente con el RC yo sólo entendido un problema en una ocasión con un galaxy s7
2) no e tenido ningún problema mayor con el
3)es por mucho más estable y predecible el vuelo del mavic te hace sentir más seguro que el spark
4) mmm si puede ser más llamativo por ser más grande y eso depende como lo tome cada quien
5)creo el ruido si es un poco más en el mavic. Pero en proporción debe ser menor
6)si son imágenes más detalladas aunque no por mucho
7) yo no edito, mis hijos lo hacen por mi jaja no te mentire.
8) quizá en la portabilidad pero no claramente además de eso en nada! Mira ... El spark es muy muy buena compra por su relación valor precio en general es un buen producto pero el mavic de hecho se me hace una ganga por todas sus capacidades si puedes no dudes en comprarlo no te arrepentirás.
Saludos

Saludos
Mi opinión de los 2 (tengo ambos)
1) si definitivamente es más mucho más estable especialmente con el RC yo sólo entendido un problema en una ocasión con un galaxy s7
2) no e tenido ningún problema mayor con el
3)es por mucho más estable y predecible el vuelo del mavic te hace sentir más seguro que el spark
4) mmm si puede ser más llamativo por ser más grande y eso depende como lo tome cada quien
5)creo el ruido si es un poco más en el mavic. Pero en proporción debe ser menor
6)si son imágenes más detalladas aunque no por mucho
7) yo no edito, mis hijos lo hacen por mi jaja no te mentire.
8) quizá en la portabilidad pero no claramente además de eso en nada! Mira ... El spark es muy muy buena compra por su relación valor precio en general es un buen producto pero el mavic de hecho se me hace una ganga por todas sus capacidades si puedes no dudes en comprarlo no te arrepentirás.
Saludos
Please post in English as per the forum rules

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers