Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Cannot cancel while RTH to perform manual landing

Riskywolf

Join
Jul 26, 2017
Normally I used the RTH function to descent the drone faster (10kmph), and usually less than 100m i will pause/cancel the RTH so i can fine-tune the landing, especially when there is trees & obstacles around. However yesterday night, I cannot cancel while on RTH function. I was very lucky that the drone land in clear landing while avoiding the tree branches. Was very curious why my remote is not responsive when I press the 'Pause' button and unable to cancel on my smartphone, say 'Cancel Fail'.

Does anyone encounter this issue lately? I'm on latest firmware with OTG to remote, and DJI Go 4.1.7 Android. (Didnt update to 4.1.8 as I was in rush to shoot the lightning in the sky at night but fail.)

Last edited:
Normally I used the RTH function to descent the drone faster (10kmph), and usually less than 100mm i will pause/cancel the RTH so i can fine-tune the landing, especially when there is trees & obstacles around. However yesterday night, I cannot cancel while on RTH function. I was very lucky that the drone land in clear landing while avoiding the tree branches. Was very curious why my remote is not responsive when I press the 'Pause' button and unable to cancel on my smartphone, say 'Cancel Fail'.

Does anyone encounter this issue lately? I'm on latest firmware with OTG to remote, and DJI Go 4.1.7 Android. (Didnt update to 4.1.8 as I was in rush to shoot the lightning in the sky at night but fail.)
Not sure to get what you mean by "less than 100mm i will pause".
Did you had the live video feed when you cannot cancel the RTH?
Maybe the antennas where still in position for the Spark at some distance?

Not sure to get what you mean by "less than 100mm i will pause".
Did you had the live video feed when you cannot cancel the RTH?
Maybe the antennas where still in position for the Spark at some distance?

The live-feed is good, the drone is directly above me and the antenna is in good position, but for some reason yesterday flight I cannot cancel the RTH on demand.

Did you pressed the RC pause button or the Go4 pause button. The RC should be more reliable.

Did you pressed the RC pause button or the Go4 pause button. The RC should be more reliable.

Oh yes... did press the RC's pause button & Go 4 pause button... but for the first time it didnt happen. Was very fortunate that my drone land safety without issue.

You mentioned that at 100mm you press pause. You mean that you usually stop the descent at 1 meter before ground? Sounds short 0.3sec .

Sent from my SM-G950F using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

IT guy here, did you try turning it off and in again?

It all has to do with the battery remaining.... if its below certain % it will override the RTH as the batteries are in danger of cutting of or damaging the lipo.

From what i read you can only pause the RTH if your battery has around 15 20% battery left in it

Reactions: His415
It all has to do with the battery remaining.... if its below certain % it will override the RTH as the batteries are in danger of cutting of or damaging the lipo.

From what i read you can only pause the RTH if your battery has around 15 20% battery left in it
Oh yes... did press the RC's pause button & Go 4 pause button... but for the first time it didnt happen. Was very fortunate that my drone land safety without issue.
As indicated above, possible issue is low battery. You can check in your flight record from the Go4 app what was the battery level at the end.

Never use the RTH as a 'function'.
For me (as it was designed for) it is a fail safe and safety feature which is there in the event of signal loss.
I have never and will never fly any of my UAV batteries down below circa 3.4v per cell under load so am back safe on deck before it reaches RTH threshold.
Personally, I do not understand why people press the RTH button when it is not an 'emergency' situation. Seems totally pointless.

Reactions: Dronason
Never use the RTH as a 'function'.
For me (as it was designed for) it is a fail safe and safety feature which is there in the event of signal loss.
I have never and will never fly any of my UAV batteries down below circa 3.4v per cell under load so am back safe on deck before it reaches RTH threshold.
Personally, I do not understand why people press the RTH button when it is not an 'emergency' situation. Seems totally pointless.

Maybe reading the op,s first sentence would help?

Maybe reading the op,s first sentence would help?
I did - RTH is a failsafe, not a landing feature.
Sport mode will afford a fast(er) decent if necessary and enable full control in the event of any sign of VRS.

RtH in the manual has three uses.

1 Smart rth. ( how I believe the o,p was using it)
2 low battery rth
3Failsafe rth..

So its not just a Failsafe option.

I agree if its a fast decent you want then sport mode is quicker,but if your a new or nervous pilot ,Its a feature the spark has so why not use it?

Last edited:
Was away for the weekend, and plenty to reply.. so here goes:

Previously was on .500 firmware, and did use manual landing & RTH to get more flying with 13 ~ 15min of flying. And all high attitude flying, I started my descent when the battery was in 30%, and managed to land the spark with 2min to spare. It only the last flight with 600 firmware that when the attitude was just less than 100m, i was unable to cancel the RTH function. Luckily the drone was able to land without hitting the tress around.

The reason why I use RTH is bcoz it is the fastest descent speed at 10kmph. Sport mode only at 8kmph and Normal mode at 5kmph. So i reckon using the RTH to descent faster so I have a bit battery life to fine-tune the landing if necessary. And previous flights with 500 firmware was able to cancel RTH and did manual landing.

I will do somemore test to see if it is one time fluke, or change to 600 firmware code that unallow cancel RTH during critical battery level. Otherwise must find a good open space in case of forced landing in future.... good luck to those Spark force-land into water bcoz the firmware too stubborn to listen to your command...

"IT guy here, did you try turning it off and in again?"
Well I havent got the time to try again, so will wait for dry weather & big wide open field to do testing again... Maybe they did change something in 600 firmware, so I need to double confirm.

"It all has to do with the battery remaining.... if its below certain % it will override the RTH as the batteries are in danger of cutting of or damaging the lipo.
From what i read you can only pause the RTH if your battery has around 15 20% battery left in it"

That's weird... for once I did purposely delay the landing when the battery meter show 0% left (at less than 1.6m high and on grassy area), and never once go into failsafe RTH. With 500 firmware.

I've include the airdatas for your reference.

Last flight that cannot cancel RTH with 600 firmware
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

similar flight situation with 500 firmware
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers