Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

CAVU with Spark FPV

William Phillips

Join
Nov 25, 2017
Alright, so I told myself I would stick to DJI software, calibrate every flight, do my pre-flight checks, etc. because the last thing I want is a fly-away, or to wreck my brand new Spark. After a few flights I really wanted to see what the whole FPV experience was about, but I don't have the funds to drop 3-500 dollars on a pair of DJI Goggles. So........I recently got the new LG V30 Android phone, with a special promotion they gave me the Google Daydream VR goggles. They were fun to play with, but I didn't myself really using them on a daily basis. I came across this app called "CAVU", similar to the "Litchi" app, it's an alternative to the DJI 4 application used to fly your drone. CAVU has VR enabled, which means you can connect in VR mode and use a pair of VR goggles like daydream. I was pessimistic at first, but since you can get CAVU for free (limited to 5 minutes of flying) I figured I would check it out. After taking some time to set up, configuring the screen, the hud, etc. I hooked it up to the Spark through the remote and just walked around the house seeing how it looked, intrigued with how it worked, and after about a full spark battery of "tuning" I felt I was ready for an actual flight. It was amazing, I had my trusty spotter with me (my 8 year old son) while flying at a football field, complete new experience that I highly recommend to anyone. My 8 year old took over on the second battery and did a full flight, he loved it as well. Lets just say I was quick to anti up the 11.99 for the full version of the app to get a full flight in. I don't fly to far away, only high enough to be above the goal posts and pretty much stay within the football field, no connectivity issues with the Spark, we will be doing many more flights in FPV just for fun. My son and I are really enjoying this new hobby together. I'm curious if any of you have tried out this app, and what you guys thought of it. Let me know.........

Reactions: Diego Tommasi
Didn't have one that I could tell, I was flying in a football field so I know at least over 100 yards. I was able to fly farther then with the DJI goggles until I discovered if you connect phone, then goggles, it takes off the 50 meter limit.

Sounds like fun. No crashes from the app? Were you able to fly in sports mode? How did you go through menus while the goggles were on, did you have to take it off each time?

thanks

CAVU has been more reliable then the DJI GO 4 app by far, my only disconnect was caused by the the controller itself losing connection with the Spark. I do have an Android, from what I have read the DJI App is more stable on Apple devices. Sports Mode was where its at! I had a blast with this thing flying FPV in Sports Mode. I would recommend downloading the CAVU app and take the time to get your HUD set-up the way you like, and see if it's something you want to try out. I went through an entire battery just playing with the settings, just walking around the house with the Spark in my hand to get a feel for FPV. CAVU is free at first, it will allow 5 minutes of flight time before closing down. You can buy it for 12-13 bucks I think for unlimited access. You do have to get your settings squared away prior to take-off, you will not have access to the menu's after the phone is placed in your VR goggles.

Nice sports mode must be awesome! Alright you have convinced me to try it out. Just one more thing, when it got disconnected did it return to home automatically?

Nice sports mode must be awesome! Alright you have convinced me to try it out. Just one more thing, when it got disconnected did it return to home automatically?
The one time it disconnected it covered in place, I walked towards it and the controller reconnected without incident. My brother in law had just armed his drone next to me, can't verify but I think it gave me just enough interference to lose signal.

CAVU has been more reliable then the DJI GO 4 app by far, my only disconnect was caused by the the controller itself losing connection with the Spark. I do have an Android, from what I have read the DJI App is more stable on Apple devices. Sports Mode was where its at! I had a blast with this thing flying FPV in Sports Mode. I would recommend downloading the CAVU app and take the time to get your HUD set-up the way you like, and see if it's something you want to try out. I went through an entire battery just playing with the settings, just walking around the house with the Spark in my hand to get a feel for FPV. CAVU is free at first, it will allow 5 minutes of flight time before closing down. You can buy it for 12-13 bucks I think for unlimited access. You do have to get your settings squared away prior to take-off, you will not have access to the menu's after the phone is placed in your VR goggles.
I downloaded the app yesterday, Jan 12, but couldn't do an outside flight. Did a little hovering and turning inside though. The CAVU app seems to work pretty well, but will know more when I can get it outside. Using a Samsung note 3

I downloaded the app yesterday, Jan 12, but couldn't do an outside flight. Did a little hovering and turning inside though. The CAVU app seems to work pretty well, but will know more when I can get it outside. Using a Samsung note 3
Good to hear! Did you figure out how to get the HUD setup the way you like? Took me a bit to configure it.
Let me know what you think after your first flight outside. I was hooked on fpv after mine, since then I added a tiny whoop, and a race drone to my collection. It's addicting!

I've been flying for for a few years, but all analog 5.8ghz. this wifi will be a little different.

Wayne my experience was complete opposite, I flew FPV for the first time with the Spark. After that I was hooked, since then I purchased the DGI RE Goggles that let you fly DJI drones, and receive analog signals from the racing drones. Now I have a tiny woop drone for fpv in the house, and a 3 inch racing drone I have been flying. Did Acro for the first time today, this hobby is a blast.

Range (signal) in Europe is restricted to nearly a quarter of that in the rest of the world
I did read about that, what a bummer. I usually stay within the football field regardless when flying with CAVU, I was paranoid to fly longer distance without using the DJI software.

Hi.
I'm currently setting up my spark for use with cavu, my Samsung S8 and some Google cardboard goggles Homido V2.
I also have NLD software and firmware to allow flying in NFZ and allow OTG cable connection.

I have a couple of questions please.

1.Do I need to run the dji go app at the same time as the cavu app?

2. If I need to cancel an error message such as "you are in a no fly zone", can I simply take out my phone from the goggles and cancel the message?

Many Thanks

Nick

Hi.
I'm currently setting up my spark for use with cavu, my Samsung S8 and some Google cardboard goggles Homido V2.
I also have NLD software and firmware to allow flying in NFZ and allow OTG cable connection.

I have a couple of questions please.

1.Do I need to run the dji go app at the same time as the cavu app?

2. If I need to cancel an error message such as "you are in a no fly zone", can I simply take out my phone from the goggles and cancel the message?

Many Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

It's been awhile since I used CAVU, I broke down and got the DJI RE Goggles, after flying with them for awhile, I will admit they are very nice, but CAVU did the job just fine.
Regarding your question, CAVU will take the place of running the DJI app. Which will result in no pesky errors prompting you to update your no fly zone while flying (DJI go app should not do that either during flight). Hope this helps!

Perfect. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme