Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Cinematic Mode | Unleash the hidden potential of the Spark

nilanjan118

Join
Oct 31, 2018
Hello Spark pilots,

Do you feel that the P-mode for DJI Spark is too sluggish for a cinematic effect?
Do you like to fly in Sports mode but hate the fact that even a little push on the yaw stick makes the video go awry?

Well if you are being bugged by these issues, then you should definitely try the Cinematic mode. Although not available for the Spark on the official release of DJI Go4, this feature can be accessed through the DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 version. The cinematic mode gives you sports mode like speed without affecting the gimbal when turning sharply even at speeds in excess of 50kmph. The video below is a demonstration of this feature and has telemetry data overlayed on it so that the viewer can have a fair idea about the capabilities of this mode. You can see the map overlayed on the video and skip to the curve portions only if the whole video seems too long for you.

I think it is also worth adding that apart from Sports mode like speed and smooth turns, there are some additional benefits which I have got by using the Cinematic mode.

1. Longer battery life.
I have had 6 flights in this mode so far and 3 of those have been 13mins+ compared to 11~12mins I used to get previously.

2. Battery temperature data getting logged in Airdata
This is a known issue with the "official" Go4 version on Android. The battery temperature is always shown as 0 when we sync the log with Airdata.
With the mod version of Go4, this bug is eliminated.

3. Smooth cache video
This may be just a limitation of the phone I am using (Moto E4 plus), but the cache video was never recorded in normal speed before. It was either sped up or skipped a lot of frames.

Last edited:
Hey all
Sounds (and looks) very good. But... how can we get the MOD 2.0 into the actual Android DJI go 4 app ?
Tks very much.

Reactions: vizflair
I've been thinking about trying out the modification in the future since my Spark is over two years old with no warranties left on it.

But I'm afraid I'd goof up the install some how and brick the little guy.

I also thought about buying another Spark just to modify it.

For those that are thinking about it, there is a big thread with 1,310 messages to date that can be researched.

DJI GO4 MOD 2.0 / DJI GO4 MOD LITE (Additional Features / Android / App Ver. 4.1.15)

Last edited:
Reactions: dap1948
I've been thinking about trying out the modification in the future since my Spark is over two years old with no warranties left on it.

But I'm afraid I'd goof up the install some how and brick the little guy.

I also thought about buying another Spark just to modify it.

For those that are thinking about it, there is a big thread with 1,310 messages to date that can be researched.

DJI GO4 MOD 2.0 / DJI GO4 MOD LITE (Additional Features / Android / App Ver. 4.1.15)

"Brick the little guy" - yes, that was my major concern too but after seeing so many people using it successfully without any issues, I couldn't resist the temptation to use it. A fellow Sparkpilots member also helped to allay all the fears I had and I took the leap of faith. Totally loving it so far. It takes a while to get used to the dampened stick controls initially but the advantages you get are manifold. I have already hit my personal best of 7000m of total distance on a single battery and have been consistently getting close to ~13mins of flight time.

WOW! I really can’t believe the toy I have on my cabinet can do this!!! Over a year now with Spark and I believe I’m more rookie than when I bought it. This look really pro man!!! Congrats. I have try to download the DJI app with all the bells and whistles (which I believe is not recommended) I haven’t been able to install it. I download litchi but I have used maybe two times. Good job!!!

Reactions: nilanjan118
Pretty amazing. So with this mod you are fully flying in sport mode but the maneuvers are smooth? Time to research. The whole point of me getting this is less about flying an rc aircraft and more about getting some great footage but I find my turns too jerky in sport mode.

Pretty amazing. So with this mod you are fully flying in sport mode but the maneuvers are smooth? Time to research. The whole point of me getting this is less about flying an rc aircraft and more about getting some great footage but I find my turns too jerky in sport mode.

That's exactly what I wanted to show in this footage. Sports mode is good for speed but you have to fly only straight if you want to make any use of the footage recorded. Also the fact that you have to chop off the start and end portion while recording in sports mode because you get a jerk in those portions. Cinematic mode takes care of all that automatically.

WOW! I really can’t believe the toy I have on my cabinet can do this!!! Over a year now with Spark and I believe I’m more rookie than when I bought it. This look really pro man!!! Congrats. I have try to download the DJI app with all the bells and whistles (which I believe is not recommended) I haven’t been able to install it. I download litchi but I have used maybe two times. Good job!!!
DJI obviously didn't want to pack all the stuff into their "entry level" drone or else the sales of their higher end drones would have taken a hit. But did I mention "use it at your own risk"? ?
To be frank, it took me a year to get the confidence to try this version of the app. My warranty ran out on the 16th of this month so I have nothing to lose either.

Last edited:
Reactions: I B Spectre
I looked at the 66 page post on the modded app and it seems like you have to use one or the other apps,not both side by side. Have you personally had any issues to note? I use an old s9 for my flying with the otg cable so I'm not worried about the phone but I don't want to use an app when I get to Greece that might give me problems. Why can't dji just add a cinematic mode to their own app? Lol

I looked at the 66 page post on the modded app and it seems like you have to use one or the other apps,not both side by side. Have you personally had any issues to note? I use an old s9 for my flying with the otg cable so I'm not worried about the phone but I don't want to use an app when I get to Greece that might give me problems. Why can't dji just add a cinematic mode to their own app? Lol

Hello Vizflair, yes you have to get rid of the "official release" of DJI Go4 app to install this version of the app. I haven't run into any issue whatsoever till now and there are many people vouching for it too but I would still not recommend anyone to use this version of the app first time in a new or unfamiliar location. Btw, DJI does have the cinematic mode included in their app for Mavic air and higher model of drones. It is just that they have it "locked" for the Spark (since it is supposed to be "entry level"?).

Last edited:
Reactions: vizflair
I see. Yeah I think I will just hold off on doing this and learn to fly better lol. Shame on dji for not allowing this mode on the spark.

but after seeing so many people using it successfully without any issues, I couldn't resist the temptation to use it. A fellow Sparkpilots member also helped to allay all the fears I had and I took the leap of faith.

I'm going to think about it a bit more and I think I know who you are referring to. ?

I'll have to research more but I fly with iOS primarily and Android at times.

Post #58 stated an iOS version is out there somewhere.

I gather it's the Go4 app that is modded that will give me the flexibility of both worlds by leaving the stock, by the book, Go4 app on the mini4 and placing the MOD app on the Android with the fake log in, etc to use the app?

So depending on which platform I use, the Spark would perform one way or the other?

I'm going to think about it a bit more and I think I know who you are referring to. ?

I'll have to research more but I fly with iOS primarily and Android at times.

Post #58 stated an iOS version is out there somewhere.

I gather it's the Go4 app that is modded that will give me the flexibility of both worlds by leaving the stock, by the book, Go4 app on the mini4 and placing the MOD app on the Android with the fake log in, etc to use the app?

So depending on which platform I use, the Spark would perform one way or the other?

That should work perfectly. Right now I only have the mod 2.0 app installed, signed in with my "original" DJI account and I am even able to sync the logs like we do in the official version of Go4. But yes, I think it will be wise to have the offical version in a spare phone and use it to check for firmware and flysafe database updates periodically.

Reactions: Spark 317
Big props for sharing this video with us nilanjan118! Looks great, the only thing holding me back right now is the warranty issue.
Yes, I admit it was holding me back too and I waited precisely 2 days after my warranty expired to try this version of the app. ?

Reactions: Haggi and RotorWash
...... Btw, DJI does have the cinematic mode included in their app for Mavic air and higher model of drones. It is just that they have it "locked" for the Spark (since it is supposed to be "entry level"?).
If I remember correctly, Obstacle Avoidance is still active in Cinematic mode on Spark. Cannot tell if this is also the case in the Mavic series.
Spark can do OA up to 5 m front and 10 kph.
Maybe the reason why DJI never even considered releasing this mode on our Spark...

Just my 5 cent

If I remember correctly, Obstacle Avoidance is still active in Cinematic mode on Spark. Cannot tell if this is also the case in the Mavic series.
Spark can do OA up to 5 m front and 10 kph.
Maybe the reason why DJI never even considered releasing this mode on our Spark...

Just my 5 cent

Yes I did notice that OA was on (atleast the icon on top said so). But will it really be functional if we are flying at speeds greater than 10kmph?

I'm not understanding how the DJI GO4 mod app would void the warranty on the Spark itself? The mod is on the phone and the flight records would still sync? I haven't used the mod yet, but just trying to understand everyone's concern?

I'm not understanding how the DJI GO4 mod app would void the warranty on the Spark itself? The mod is on the phone and the flight records would still sync? I haven't used the mod yet, but just trying to understand everyone's concern?
This subject has been beaten to death numerous times. "- Is my warranty voided if flying with Litchi app?"
Your assumptions are correct, but be aware, app version is still in the log.
I think it's worth the risk!

Yes I did notice that OA was on (atleast the icon on top said so). But will it really be functional if we are flying at speeds greater than 10kmph?
No, OA will not save your bird.
But you should always act and take precautions as it's off, even if it's on.

...on the Android with the fake log in, etc to use the app?
Not even an issue, I've been on the modded version for 12+ months, on my official dji account... syncing flights in-app.

I would be more concerned with 2 different platforms.
Most of the parameters are stored in the bird..but, let's say you set new rth height in IOS device.
This new height is then "transferred" to your bird, and everything work as expected.
Then you open up your droid and there is a different rth height in the app.
What will happen now?
Maybe I'm overthinking a non-issue.
I would try to set both apps same as possible, sure *s*

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit