Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Color Grading for Spark Footages

cs_weng

Join
Jun 19, 2017
Spark does not shoot in D-log, I'm wondering how do fellow pilots and video editors out there color grade your footages? Are there any techniques out there to simulate shooting in d-log for more flexibility for color grading in post production?

Colour grading the spark footage will be like grading a jpeg image. Everything is already baked into the video file as it is being captured.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the spark has no control over the final image, no built in colour profiles or way to adjust white balance, contrast, sharpness etc? If this is the case then grading can be tricky. Its not impossible but you probably wont have a great deal of room for adjustments.
If you can adjust the contrast and sharpness then your best bet would be to pull the contrast down, its not going to pull back any crushed blacks or whites but it should flatten the image for a bit of post work. Same with the sharpness, drop this down for adding back in post.
From here you could try applying a few LUT's to see if anything takes your fancy. Other than that I think you are very limited on the output. Best bet is to use the spark footage as very short clips between other footage or for establishing shots and just try to colour match it to the best you can to your other footage.

The only other potential issue I have seen in a few edited spark clips is stuttering video. Its a real pain but you can work around it by setting all your cameras to capture all your footage at 30fps(29.97) or 60fps if you want to slow the footage down. Its my understanding the spark only captures 30fps/1080p/24mbps so your working timeline needs to be at 30fps and the output at the same or lower bitrate.
Another pain if you are trying to get that cinematic look as you really need 24fps with a 180-degree shutter speed (48/50) but the spark doesn't have manual support for this... yet!

Just remember to treat the content captured on the spark like something you shot on your phone or like a little pocket point and shoot camera, the one you take everywhere to post stuff on social media.

Colour grading the spark footage will be like grading a jpeg image. Everything is already baked into the video file as it is being captured.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the spark has no control over the final image, no built in colour profiles or way to adjust white balance, contrast, sharpness etc? If this is the case then grading can be tricky. Its not impossible but you probably wont have a great deal of room for adjustments.
If you can adjust the contrast and sharpness then your best bet would be to pull the contrast down, its not going to pull back any crushed blacks or whites but it should flatten the image for a bit of post work. Same with the sharpness, drop this down for adding back in post.
From here you could try applying a few LUT's to see if anything takes your fancy. Other than that I think you are very limited on the output. Best bet is to use the spark footage as very short clips between other footage or for establishing shots and just try to colour match it to the best you can to your other footage.

The only other potential issue I have seen in a few edited spark clips is stuttering video. Its a real pain but you can work around it by setting all your cameras to capture all your footage at 30fps(29.97) or 60fps if you want to slow the footage down. Its my understanding the spark only captures 30fps/1080p/24mbps so your working timeline needs to be at 30fps and the output at the same or lower bitrate.
Another pain if you are trying to get that cinematic look as you really need 24fps with a 180-degree shutter speed (48/50) but the spark doesn't have manual support for this... yet!

Just remember to treat the content captured on the spark like something you shot on your phone or like a little pocket point and shoot camera, the one you take everywhere to post stuff on social media.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm gonna have to try it out and see how it goes with the colors.

Reactions: Malakai
I did a little unboxing and first flight video, check it out!

Took the footage during sunset, tried applying a Fade Out LUT. Quite a bit of details are lost in the trees due to the low light, gonna try a daylight shoot soon!

Reactions: Lucas and Malakai
I've just found a Spark Luts package of 20 different luts quite nice and usefull for my footage. They are in Rec 709 in cube and 3dl formats and I've found these color presets simple to use in Final Cut Pro but they can be used also in Premiere and other NLE where you can load luts.
I've also used them in Photoshop to enhance my images taken with my Spark.
This is the site: DJI Spark Luts Collection Vol.1
Hope it helps

Nice thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme