Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Comparing collision avoidance with the Spark versus the new Mavic Air 2

ricke

Join
Jul 22, 2020
I have had way too many crashes with my Sparks where it has done a maneuver going backwards and hot a tree or drifted too close to a building and been sucked up to the wall and hit it and fallen or a random tree is hard to see on my phone screen...As far as I can tell, the Spark has sensors only on the front and bottom used for object detection while it looks like the Mavic Air 2 has them on all sides.
Has anyone used it and can confirm how well it can now protect itself from unexpected collisions on all sides? I would really like a good backup for when I make a mistake or can't seen an obstacle so I can avoid as many potential crashes as possible.

Thanks for any info,
Rick

NOLADG

Join
Nov 28, 2019
The Mavic Air 2 does have more sensors than the Spark - Front, Rear and Down which is the same as the Mavic Air 1. They do not have sensors on the side or top. Supposedly the obstacle avoidance is a bit better on the MA2 than the MA1, but I have seen a few videos that show it is not much better, check them out and see for yourself.

I have the MA1 and have obstacle avoidance on most of the time, but I try to understand how it works and it's limitations as sometimes thinking it will save you can cause devastating results or it can overreact and ruin your video. I personally don't try to use follow mode in any difficult conditions as I found it didn't do that well.

Reactions: RotorWash

SoccerRef12

Join
Jul 5, 2019
If I'm going to fly a sideways video of a store front, for example, I fly the route forward first to ensure I clear trees, lampposts, power lines, etc. Once I know the safe altitude & route I then fly it sideways to take the video. This was a hard lesson learned...see my post "My Depth Perception Sucks"

Reactions: RotorWash

ricke

Join
Jul 22, 2020
The Mavic Air 2 does have more sensors than the Spark - Front, Rear and Down which is the same as the Mavic Air 1. They do not have sensors on the side or top. Supposedly the obstacle avoidance is a bit better on the MA2 than the MA1, but I have seen a few videos that show it is not much better, check them out and see for yourself.

I have the MA1 and have obstacle avoidance on most of the time, but I try to understand how it works and it's limitations as sometimes thinking it will save you can cause devastating results or it can overreact and ruin your video. I personally don't try to use follow mode in any difficult conditions as I found it didn't do that well.
Oh I see, I must have mistakenly seen the specs for the Mavic Pro. You are right that the Mavic Air 2 provides forward, backward, and downward obstacle sensing. The backwards sensor would have helped with the several times I have gotten into trouble using the Quickshot Dronie flight.

Vvdd123

Join
Mar 30, 2020
I have had way too many crashes with my Sparks where it has done a maneuver going backwards and hot a tree or drifted too close to a building and been sucked up to the wall and hit it and fallen or a random tree is hard to see on my phone screen...As far as I can tell, the Spark has sensors only on the front and bottom used for object detection while it looks like the Mavic Air 2 has them on all sides.
Has anyone used it and can confirm how well it can now protect itself from unexpected collisions on all sides? I would really like a good backup for when I make a mistake or can't seen an obstacle so I can avoid as many potential crashes as possible.

Thanks for any info,
Rick
Only front sensors

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KillRbee18