Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Compass Errors - Help with reading logs

Chrislaf

Join
Oct 12, 2017
Loc
ON, Canada
Today I was flying in an area where I have flown frequently and got compass areas in the both locations I launched from. In the first location, I got compass errors before I even started the motors by double tapping the battery button while holding the Spark. I immediately shut-down and moved a couple of metres away. I then tried again and was able to launch and run an Active Track mission successfully but upon review of the flight I realized I had a compass error which I did not notice in flight. Also, I realize my battery temps were low. I should have waited until the battery warmed up more. Here's the log from the flight.

On my second flight, I had moved to a different location that I have launched from many times. Shortly after launch (hand launch via double battery tap), I got continuous compass errors. I abandoned the flight and landed in my hand. Here's the log for that flight.

In both flights, the AC was never out of control and was responding to stick inputs.

Earlier this month, I had compass errors well into the middle of a flight in a totally different area. I posted the thread here about that incident.

Today at home I checked the compass in the GO4 app and everything was good. I would really like to figure out what is going on here, as up until my first post on Jan. 10th about the issue, I had never had a compass error in over 360+ flights and over two years owning my Spark.

I have not calibrated my compass in well over a year, launch in metal free areas and 99% of the time I launch from my hand. Would calibrating the compass help? The AC firmware and GO4 app are all current.

I am hoping this is an easy fix as my Care Refresh Plus just ran out last month and I never made a claim in two years having it.

Thanks,

Chris

Did you recalibrate the compass? Did that fix it?
I will next time I fly when I am in an open space. Hopefully that will get rid of the errors.

Chris

Calibrated the compass yesterday but did not fly. Flew today in the same area that I had the initial compass error way back on Jan. 10th. Only made one flight but there were no errors - so far so good. Hoping the calibration has corrected the problem. What I am puzzled by is, if it was in fact that the compass needed calibration, then why did the app (GO4) not prompt me to do one. I will be continuing to keep an eye on things.

Chris

Sometimes the 'calibrate compass' message comes quickly and if you are watching the Spark you can miss it. When I first started flying my Spark I'd take off from a 55 gal drum and would get compass errors (duh...). Usually the calibrate compass takes care of it. If you get it again, just look for metal or wires in the area.

Thanks for your reply.
Shouldn’t be any metal in area. One location is a sandy beach covered in snow and the other location is on a sandy trail often used by dirt bike riders also covered in snow. I always hand launch and land so the Spark is always off the ground.

Chris

Reactions: SoccerRef12

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef