Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Controller disconnect - latest DJI Go 4 app (4.3.37 - 2020/09/22) - Android 11 - USB debugging - super patcher 2.02+

basily

Join
Oct 2, 2019
Loc
Huayapam, Oaxaca, Mexico
OK, long title, but it's because I'm not sure what factors might be contributing to my problem.

It's not really a problem, because it went away when I:
1. turned off USB debugging
2. switched to using the Litchi app

But I don't know which, if any, of the above fixed the issue.

So, here's what happened. For anyone lucky enough to have upgraded to Android 11 (official - I don't mess with betas anymore), the DJI Go 4 app was incompatible, until the Sept. 22/2020 update. Before, it would just force close and that was that. Anyway, not a big problem because I just kept using the Litchi app, but I do like to use the DJI app once in a while, especially for 360 panos because it can capture a little more of the sky than in the litchi app.

When I saw that there had been an update to the DJI app, and that it no longer force closed, I gave it a try. Take off went fine, I flew the drone just a few meters away from me over a valley that I was walking above - away from any built up areas, so should be no interference. All of a sudden, my controller lost the connection with my spark, with an error to match on the app. After an exciting couple of minutes, the controller reconnected and I managed to move my spark closer to me (now trying to get it back on the ground so it wouldn't crash onto the shrubbery along the steep drop into the valley), and then it lost connection again. At this point, I disconnected my OTG cable and sweated it out hoping the controller would reconnect. After a couple of minutes, it hadn't reconnected, so I turned the controller off and on again. Now it reconnected and the spark started trying to land, which I managed to override and brought it back to my landing pad safely.

After this incident, not switching batteries, because I still had like, 70%, I turned off USB debugging (should it be on or off???) and got everything up and running, but this time with the Litchi app. Did some flying with no problems at all.

I should also mention that I've patched using super patcher 2.02 - sort of - based on my experience with 2.02 and what I read here, I'm using an as of yet unreleased version (Spark_Batt-Mod_NoGal_03.02.43.56_dji_system.bin) that doesn't enable Galileo satellite reception (I think it was causing my spark's gps unit to crash on occasion). I've flown a few times using Litchi and this firmware with no issues - GPS issue seems to have been fixed.

Lastly, there is no mention whatsoever of this disconnect when I look at the flight logs on airdata, nor on logviewer ?‍♂️

Sorry for the length of this, I just thought I'd throw everything against the wall to see if anything sticks...

Anyone?

DJI Go 4 app bug?
Super-patcher issue?
Random event, nothing to see here, move on?

My experience : DJIGO4 + USB debugging on gives troubles. I noticed it switches on WIFI on my phone
What do you mean with controller lost communication ? RED light on RC or app in no communication ?

Reactions: basily
My experience : DJIGO4 + USB debugging on gives troubles. I noticed it switches on WIFI on my phone
What do you mean with controller lost communication ? RED light on RC or app in no communication ?

Thanks for the input. I'll try again with DJIGO4 and USB debugging turned off.

This was the first time I'd seen this kind of loss of communication. The controller lost contact with the drone even though it was only a few meters away with no apparent reason for any interference, that I could tell anyway, maybe there's a giant magnet underground somewhere, I don't know. The controller light went red and started flashing and I believe it started beeping, not sure if it was the controller or my phone, I was too panicked to pay attention. But it was a different beep than I had heard before. And if I remember right the app told me (vocally) about the loss of communication too.

Anyway, when I feel confident enough and have the drone in a very safe environment I'll try again and see if the issue replicates.

Maybe I'll start screen recording while flying from now on so i have a better record of events.

OK, long title, but it's because I'm not sure what factors might be contributing to my problem.

It's not really a problem, because it went away when I:
1. turned off USB debugging
2. switched to using the Litchi app

But I don't know which, if any, of the above fixed the issue.

So, here's what happened. For anyone lucky enough to have upgraded to Android 11 (official - I don't mess with betas anymore), the DJI Go 4 app was incompatible, until the Sept. 22/2020 update. Before, it would just force close and that was that. Anyway, not a big problem because I just kept using the Litchi app, but I do like to use the DJI app once in a while, especially for 360 panos because it can capture a little more of the sky than in the litchi app.

When I saw that there had been an update to the DJI app, and that it no longer force closed, I gave it a try. Take off went fine, I flew the drone just a few meters away from me over a valley that I was walking above - away from any built up areas, so should be no interference. All of a sudden, my controller lost the connection with my spark, with an error to match on the app. After an exciting couple of minutes, the controller reconnected and I managed to move my spark closer to me (now trying to get it back on the ground so it wouldn't crash onto the shrubbery along the steep drop into the valley), and then it lost connection again. At this point, I disconnected my OTG cable and sweated it out hoping the controller would reconnect. After a couple of minutes, it hadn't reconnected, so I turned the controller off and on again. Now it reconnected and the spark started trying to land, which I managed to override and brought it back to my landing pad safely.

After this incident, not switching batteries, because I still had like, 70%, I turned off USB debugging (should it be on or off???) and got everything up and running, but this time with the Litchi app. Did some flying with no problems at all.

I should also mention that I've patched using super patcher 2.02 - sort of - based on my experience with 2.02 and what I read here, I'm using an as of yet unreleased version (Spark_Batt-Mod_NoGal_03.02.43.56_dji_system.bin) that doesn't enable Galileo satellite reception (I think it was causing my spark's gps unit to crash on occasion). I've flown a few times using Litchi and this firmware with no issues - GPS issue seems to have been fixed.

Lastly, there is no mention whatsoever of this disconnect when I look at the flight logs on airdata, nor on logviewer ?‍♂️

Sorry for the length of this, I just thought I'd throw everything against the wall to see if anything sticks...

Anyone?

DJI Go 4 app bug?
Super-patcher issue?
Random event, nothing to see here, move on?

does it mean that enableing gallileo causes issues? i also use the super Patcher 2.02 but with galileo enabled.

It's my suspicion, but I don't yet have confirmation. And, even if it is the case, it's only occasional issues.
you found any more information about your problem in the meanwhile? is it a prob with galileo?

you found any more information about your problem in the meanwhile? is it a prob with galileo?
No, sorry, I haven't found any info, nor gotten a reply from the Super Patcher developer. I reverted back to stock firmware, and will stick to that on my Spark. Too many crashes and adding more variables to create potential problems seems reckless.

First of all, Spark is an old dji drone, most stable version is 4.1.15 with an otg cable.
Super patcher is a FW modification, works fine with the dji go4 4.1.15 mod.
When upgrading to latest android version(11) 4.1.15 mod can have issues, also upgrading to latest djigo 4 app will have issues.
My advice, use an old phone or tablet with an older version android.
Note: Litchi and Djigo4 cannot be Active at the same time, when using Litchi:
  1. Make sure no DJI-based apps (including DJI Fly/Go, Litchi and other third party DJI drone/osmo apps) are running in the background. If there are any, force kill them
  2. If you have another app (such as DJI Fly/Go) set as the default for the remote controller USB connection, you will need to clear the defaults for that app in your mobile device (Settings - Apps - DJI Fly/Go (or other app name) - Clear Defaults). Some devices automatically set the app you start as default, so this step may have to be done every time you want to switch app (for example from DJI Fly/Go to Litchi and vice versa)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef