Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Copyright Infringement

Bubbles!!!

Join
Jun 13, 2017
Does anyone know the specifics for Copyright laws related to uploading personal videos, using 3rd party music not made by me, for no purpose other than to show friends/family? No profit, just for fun, but using a public video domain (YouTube) to host the video.
I've done some reading, and so far I'm getting uncertain answers... Some of which are lawspeak, and most certainly are not Engligh xD. And also can I use another domain that is only public to those I allow and not infringe on rights there (Google Docs)?

Does anyone know the specifics for Copyright laws related to uploading personal videos, using 3rd party music not made by me, for no purpose other than to show friends/family? No profit, just for fun, but using a public video domain (YouTube) to host the video.
I've done some reading, and so far I'm getting uncertain answers... Some of which are lawspeak, and most certainly are not Engligh xD. And also can I use another domain that is only public to those I allow and not infringe on rights there (Google Docs)?

If you search the posts here there is a member that has volumes of self composed music and fx tracks. He willingly shares these, so you are safe using those.
Since I do play several instruments I perform my own backing tracks, but that may not be an option for you.
Basically if YouTube detects you using a recorded track they will scrub the audio off your vid and post that they modified it. As an artist I totally understand their reasoning, so do a search for royalty free music, or learn to play guitar!

Jake

Reactions: Bubbles!!!
I mainly use music from people I know or who gave me their permission to use it.
If you use copyrighted music or video, outside fair use, the video can get claimed.
Ads might appear from the claimant. Worst case it gets taken down or restricted in some areas.

Most mainstream music providers exclude any kind of redistribution so you're not allowed to use them for anything shown publicly.

But as others mentioned there are many providers of easily licensable content.

YouTube automatically scans all uploads and compares it against known copyrighted works. I believe you can usually say somewhere that you have permission, and it will allow the video to show. For example, I have used music by Moby in some videos, all of which are copyright, but available freely from the artist himself on mobygratis.com. YouTube first prevents publication of the video, then I must go back and say I'm allowed.

Note: Only say you are allowed if you are actually allowed. Check local laws, and what is considered acceptable use. Generally, don't use stolen music...that music is their job, they should get paid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme