Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Crashed Sparky. No response from DJI. Replace with Mini 2 or hang it up?

repete7

Join
Jun 12, 2019
I crashed Sparky over a month ago. My bad. I was trying to land and caught a branch. No signal from the camera, can't read the card when it's in Sparky and the card got really, really hot when I tried to read it with a card reader. Error messages I'm getting are Forward Vision Sensor Error (4), Air Encoder Error (0x800000) if that means anything to anyone. I've tried contacting DJI Support and gotten no response. I'm just giving it to my son, if he can fix it, I'm going to let him keep it.

Anyhow, what do you all think about replacing Sparky with a Mini 2? Those of you who've done it, is the Mini 2 worth it? I honestly didn't fly Sparky a whole lot. Mostly practiced in my backyard and a few flights when we were out camping on Forest Service/BLM land. I enjoyed some of the stills I've been able to take, but video editing is just not my thing.

My main complaint about the Spark was it took forever to lock GPS (I did calibrate the compass often and the problem persisted). By the time I had a homepoint, the battery was mostly gone and I could fly maybe 5-8 minutes before the battery low warning. Is the Mini 2 better about this? I know the battery life is better but is it faster to lock on to the satellites? I found it frustrating to invest time in researching where I could fly, checking the weather, the wind, get there with a clear view of the horizon, and not be able to get enough satellites to take off. Besides that, what other advantages/disadvantages should I be thinking about?

I always telephone DJI. Support can try your patience but just ask for a shipping label and forget asking about repair information. You'll probably just get useless advice.
The Spark should lock onto the home point in a timely manner. Your unit has a problem. did you buy it new?

I always telephone DJI. Support can try your patience but just ask for a shipping label and forget asking about repair information. You'll probably just get useless advice.
The Spark should lock onto the home point in a timely manner. Your unit has a problem. did you buy it new?
It was a gift, but it was purchased new in Dec 2018. If I ship it to them, do they give an estimate before they start the repair? Do they charge for an estimate?

I crashed Sparky over a month ago. My bad. I was trying to land and caught a branch. No signal from the camera, can't read the card when it's in Sparky and the card got really, really hot when I tried to read it with a card reader. Error messages I'm getting are Forward Vision Sensor Error (4), Air Encoder Error (0x800000) if that means anything to anyone. I've tried contacting DJI Support and gotten no response. I'm just giving it to my son, if he can fix it, I'm going to let him keep it.

Anyhow, what do you all think about replacing Sparky with a Mini 2? Those of you who've done it, is the Mini 2 worth it? I honestly didn't fly Sparky a whole lot. Mostly practiced in my backyard and a few flights when we were out camping on Forest Service/BLM land. I enjoyed some of the stills I've been able to take, but video editing is just not my thing.

My main complaint about the Spark was it took forever to lock GPS (I did calibrate the compass often and the problem persisted). By the time I had a homepoint, the battery was mostly gone and I could fly maybe 5-8 minutes before the battery low warning. Is the Mini 2 better about this? I know the battery life is better but is it faster to lock on to the satellites? I found it frustrating to invest time in researching where I could fly, checking the weather, the wind, get there with a clear view of the horizon, and not be able to get enough satellites to take off. Besides that, what other advantages/disadvantages should I be thinking about?
Mine 2 is hands down a mighty little beast from the camera to the power and handling it’s just a perfect small portable might drone compact for on the go stable as a rock don’t get much better for the price in my opinion

Reactions: repete7
shipping is free. They send you a mailing label. I think the estimate is 65 dollars. I know that sounds expensive but I've had good luck when I questioned them as to why something failed if there had been no damage to the drone. I've heard a ton of complaints about the DJI support personal but I haven't heard many complaints about the actual service.

Oh yeah...and I think you would be very happy with the Mini 2. I've resisted buying one myself but I hear nothing but good reports.

Reactions: repete7
shipping is free. They send you a mailing label. I think the estimate is 65 dollars. I know that sounds expensive but I've had good luck when I questioned them as to why something failed if there had been no damage to the drone. I've heard a ton of complaints about the DJI support personal but I haven't heard many complaints about the actual service.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Mini 2 is a beast (way better connectivity, low noise, battery life, and usb c), but the spark is a tank.

I've been hesitant to sell the spark, especially because I have so many extra parts for it.

Such a good back up drone and the front sensor is very handy.

If getting a mini 2 is one of your choices I would definitely do it.
I don't fly mine as often as I should and a lot of my flights are in the backyard but I love my mini 2.
Easy to fly, takes great video and pictures, small and easy to pack.....
I enjoy having it available for when I do get out and am able to fly in scenic areas.

Reactions: Mtntrogger
The mini 2 is the best pound-for-pound drone anywhere. I know that's a strong opinion. ;-). I still fly my Spark and I agree with one of the posts above...the Spark is built like a tank. Of all the ways the Mini 2 beats the pants off the Spark... it's not built anywhere as solid as the Spark. The original Mavic Mini... not so much. I'd stick with the Spark if you could only get an original mini, but the Mini 2 is a massive step up from original.

john doe- yep, the obstacle avoidance sensors are nice on Spark. Mini 2 doesn't have those.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme