Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

CSC Maneuver

cozzykim

Join
Jan 17, 2018
Loc
Derbyshire UK.
Hi guys, having just received my new controller it occurred to me that there must be occasions when the sticks are in the CSC positions during flight.

Does this stop the motors mid flight, or is there some safeguard.

I know that CSC can be disabled, do you normally disable it to prevent this happening?

Yes they may be in the position to disarm, but only for a split second so nothing to worry about. Plus, position is sticks down and in or down and out. So basically you'd be trying to yaw in one direction and roll in the opposite direction. Don't think that's a move you want to try:cool:

Per this thread in the DJI forum, the "Stop Motor Method" setting (see the screenshot below) defaults to "For use in emergencies only". Since there is no way to toggle that setting to "CSC Maneuver" (since that setting is not visible in DJI GO when flying the Spark), you should not be able to accidentally shut off the motors by holding the sticks in the CSC position.

DJI-GO-Stop-Motor-Method-Apple.jpg

Thanks for the answers, I realise that the yaw/roll combination wouldn't be a deliberate choice, who knows in an instant of panic though. :/

I don't see any setting on the Spark where you can disable the CSC Maneuver and it is called out in the manual as for emergencies, so yes, it should work mid-flight. I haven't felt like testing it mid-air with mine. I'm sure there has been more than one instance of unintended CSC but it is not a command you would normally use: full descent, full roll and full yaw in the opposite direction.
Don't panic, make smooth and gentle control inputs and you should be fine. :)

I'm not sure if it actually works on the Spark.

Seriously.

Search YouTube for the CSC Spark and you decide?

I believe one of the support staff on the DJI forum confirmed there is NO CSC ON THE SPARK.

Nah, it was buried somewhere long ago. I can't be bothered to look it up. Someone go try it.

You must be quite the busy guy ;)

I only get time to browse on break at work. And have you seen the chaos that is DJI forums? Between the 10,000th thread asking for RAW/4k/OTG or asking why the drone crashed again and again, good luck finding anything of real value there.

Here, found it for you. Reply from DJI Susan.

Summary: CSC as we used to know it (motors off, fall like rock) is gone. You are now initiating a rapid downward spiral (which is what happens if you move sticks like that anyway)

have you seen the chaos that is DJI forums?
No. I don't go there often.

Here, found it for you. Reply from DJI Susan.

Summary: CSC as we used to know it (motors off, fall like rock) is gone. You are now initiating a rapid downward spiral (which is what happens if you move sticks like that anyway)
You linked the same thread I linked :)

Here's what DJI Susan actually said:

"The CSC is available to stop the motor when abnormity was detected by the APP."

(which is what I said above)

Well that's funny. Ok. Back to sleep for me lol.

But still: CSC doesn't exist unless the app thinks it should. So if the app thinks all is ok, but your drone is going somewhere unsafe and you decide to kill it.....you can't.

Last edited:
I decided to try it from about 50ft over some soft grass. It went into a rapid downward spiral.

I only stayed in that mode for about 2 seconds before letting off.

Kind of like a very tight reverse helix and orbit all in one maneuver.

Glad to hear that you pulled out of the death spin. :)

Got a link?

The support staff in this thread is saying CSC does in fact work.
That thread is from 2016
This thread says otherwise;
So yes and no according to DJI Susan:
The CSC is available to stop the motor when abnormity was detected by the APP. In normal situation, the aircraft will land helically. Hope this make it clear.

That thread is from 2016
This thread says otherwise;
Isn't that what we already covered above? I'm confused as to what you're attempting to add here.

Isn't that what we already covered above? I'm confused as to what you're attempting to add here.
Sorry...you're right. Must have looked at a different thread when searching the DJI forum. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Point is still valid though. Seems CSC on the Spark is only available when the app thinks it might be needed. Have to give it a try next time I take her out for exercise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef