Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Current State of Gesture Control

mix123

Join
Dec 27, 2018
Hi All. I tried Gesture Control on the weekend for the first time and it seemed to work great. Then I came on here and searched Gesture Control and saw all the posts about Issues lol. Most were older posts.

So I'm just wondering if firmware updates over the past 1.5 years have improved gesture control?
Is it more reliable now?
Will I be sorry if I use it without a phone or RC connection?

I have found it to be a little gimmicky. I wouldn't mind it if it disappeared. If you want to make sure it won't work just try and use it in front of a group of friends o_O
I don't think you will be sorry - but I do think you will get bored with it pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andre Levite
I volunteered to fly my home made drones around the school construction site to show the board the progress. After the job was finished, I discovered the board was going to give me an award for my efforts right when I got my first Spark.
I practiced in the board room at least 100 hand gesture takeoffs, up and away hand movement, picture, return and palm land.
All one after another no problem.

When it came time to accept the award, took me 5 minutes to activate the up and away gesture...in front of everyone.
But it still turned out great.20171010_001144000_iOS.jpg

I have trouble with bright sunlight causing the Spark to not respond to gestures.
The worst is getting it to fly back then not being able to return because sun is to bright!
Any ideas on flying in bright sunlight?

I think I'll just start making sure I flip it to wifi mode before I use gesture mode to ensure I can still control it if it stops responding to gestures.

I have trouble with bright sunlight causing the Spark to not respond to gestures.
The worst is getting it to fly back then not being able to return because sun is to bright!
Any ideas on flying in bright sunlight?

I wonder if a lens filter will work such as the PolarPro series?

They are on sale at Best Buy.

Reactions: Dodge DeBoulet
I wonder if a lens filter will work such as the PolarPro series?

They are on sale at Best Buy.

Thanks for the Best Buy notification. I had tried to buy a set the last time they were on "clearance" and they were sold out. I guess it wasn't really a "clearance" sale after all :D

Since the 3-pack sells for $8 more, this is a great deal!

Gesture Mode works ok...for the most part and it's nice to be tracked without having to worry about unwanted taps on your phone if it's in your pocket, I am just unable to make it start recording a video ! Has anyone had more luck ?

Well done PMshop!

I have never actually tried out the gesture stuff, with our new rules here coming on June 1st, its pointless for me to try to impress anyone, as we need to be 30m horizontally from the nearest person in order to legally fly. You have to have the advanced certification for that privilege! I'm slightly inclined to send the government a single fingered gesture on that, but that's not really me!
:eek:
I will be getting that advanced cert, if the rest of my life ever settles down.

Reactions: Andro
I was able to borrow a Mavic Air and found that SmartCapture (that's what Gesture Control is called there) worked a lot better as it "understands" your gestures almost instantly. No problems starting a video recording for instance. With my Spark I've only been able to take pictures with the "camera" gesture, just no way to start a video. Is anyone able to do that these days or did a FW update change something for some reason ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe