Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DIY Waterproof Hard Case

NUFan

Join
Jul 13, 2017
IMG_0125.jpg Just finished a 30 minute DIY waterproof/shockproof case configuration that I'm pretty stoked about. I'm a case/bag freak with all my photography and tech gear and have been shopping online for months for perfect case. Thank goodness I am also a cheapskate and had not ordered one yet. I decided and had plans that I would eventually buy the MC Spark Compact Case (which I believe has the best design unless you need prop guards). This case only holds the Spark and controller, but I will throw out there that this has to be the smallest and cheapest ballistic case there is ($9.99). I actually can fit everything that came with the Fly More package +1 more battery without the foam, but would sacrifice probably 90% of the foam trying to pluck and configure it. All is in there tight. I shook it as hard as I could and nothing is loose.

i-cnTHbPd

Last edited:
hah! looks like you beat me by a few hours on my project! Check out good but cheap Spark transport case

Yours looks just like the smaller case I saw at harbor freight. (I thought it was $15 though?) I would worry a little about the controller and the Spark touching the outside walls of the case. If it gets dropped, the case will hit the ground and the Spark or controller might then hit the hard plastic case?

Last edited:
There is a coupon code for the Apache 1800 that makes it 9.99. I actually have some hobby stick on foam installed where the controller would touch the sides of the case. The Spark does not touch the sides of the case at all. There is about 1/8" of spacing around the spark corners, and the plucked out Spark well does not allow the spark to move in any direction. I have everything set to the height (about 1/2") where the top foam compresses everything and keeps it in place. I can not see how any normal drop could possibly damage anything. If one were going to throw it off their roof onto the concrete, then I would not suggest a Harbor Freight anything. My goal was to get the smallest footprint as possible for the most sensitive hardware. This fits discretely into my small backpack. In this day and age, I don't want to carry around a large case that looks as though I might be transporting hand guns, or a broken down assault rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0124 (1).jpg
    IMG_0124 (1).jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 63
In this day and age, I don't want to carry around a large case that looks as though I might be transporting hand guns, or a broken down assault rifle.

I remembering watching films from the 60s... where the mobsters were setting their violin case up on the table, open it up, and pull out a tommygun.... heh

There is a coupon code for the Apache 1800 that makes it 9.99. I actually have some hobby stick on foam installed where the controller would touch the sides of the case. The Spark does not touch the sides of the case at all. There is about 1/8" of spacing around the spark corners, and the plucked out Spark well does not allow the spark to move in any direction. I have everything set to the height (about 1/2") where the top foam compresses everything and keeps it in place. I can not see how any normal drop could possibly damage anything. If one were going to throw it off their roof onto the concrete, then I would not suggest a Harbor Freight anything. My goal was to get the smallest footprint as possible for the most sensitive hardware. This fits discretely into my small backpack. In this day and age, I don't want to carry around a large case that looks as though I might be transporting hand guns, or a broken down assault rifle.
Do you still have this setup? I was wondering exactly what all you fit into this little case, thanks.

It looks like he's just got the spark, two batteries, and the controller in there. It's ben awhile and I haven't ran into anything better than my "good but cheap Spark transport case" (link above), and I still recommend that. It's very reasonably priced, not hard to set up, and carries everything I really want to have with me when I fly.

It looks like he's just got the spark, two batteries, and the controller in there. It's ben awhile and I haven't ran into anything better than my "good but cheap Spark transport case" (link above), and I still recommend that. It's very reasonably priced, not hard to set up, and carries everything I really want to have with me when I fly.
Thanks for the suggestion but the case you're using is much bigger than my Mavic storm case which holds everything plus iPad and 5 batteries. The spark is not as tall and the batteries are much smaller than the Mavic so I wanted a teeny case as well. I just need to be able to hike with it

I understand you're looking for something smaller. My primary goal is protecting my spark. You must trade away some protection to get a more compact case. If you look at my (rev2) layout you'll notice everything is separated by a single cube of foam, and also by a single layer of foam to the side walls of the case. If you're hiking and the case is dropped, parts that are touching will collide and may get damaged. Heavier items (like batteries) pose more of a threat due to their mass, and a collision with the hard case wall is just as bad as falling on the ground.

If you want a more portable solution, I suggest you focus more on limiting what accessories you take with you, so you have less to pack in the case. I have a lot of things I don't strictly need, like the AC charger, SIX batteries, lens filters, etc. I could get by on the original poster's bare minimum of spark, two batteries, and controller. I suppose I also could bring additional batteries, packed elsewhere away from the spark since they're more durable than the spark and controller. It all comes down to what you want to have with you.

You'd really not like my other case, it's got an 18AH battery and several 12v chargers in it, which allows me to recharge all six of my batteries twice! But if you plan on a long trip (several days hike) I'd suggest you get some sort of lightweight and compact solar recharging solution. 18W trifold panels are available to produce 5v at around 2a. Combine that with a 10,000mA kmashi battery bank and you'd have a good portable recharge system and could take fewer batteries with you.

Do you still have this setup? I was wondering exactly what all you fit into this little case, thanks.

I just have what is pictured as Virtual1 stated except 3 batteries not 2 (one is on the spark). I have not had the need yet to try and fit anything else. I throw this in a small backpack which I can carry any other accessories I may need that I am less concerned about getting wet or banged around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme