Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI GO 4 Android Updated to v4.3.10

Dodge DeBoulet

Join
Dec 27, 2018
Loc
Maine
What's New

[New features] Supports Go Share for quickly transferring photos and video from the Smart Controller to your mobile device.

Will have to see what that means once the weather clears ...

And USB OTG still works!

I had to run it twice to get it to fully install. The first time it stalled at the 86% unzipping.

I had that happen on the previous version, which was my initial install. It happened at the same spot (86%), too. Today's update installed fine, though.

Why should we update, if all this is about new Mavic 2 controller?

I'm not recommending that anyone update. I'm just reporting that there's a new version and, so far, nothing is more broke than it was before.

Yes, I understand that, I was talking about Dji's practice, to suggest every time an update not related to our drone.

Yes, I understand that, I was talking about Dji's practice, to suggest every time an update not related to our drone.

DJI didn't "suggest" anything. They updated the version of the DJI GO 4 app on the Play Store to add a feature that was apparently for a specific model of drone. The app happens to support multiple drone models, though, the Spark among them.

If you have the app installed and have the Play Store's auto-update feature turned on, your Android device will automatically update to it regardless of the model of drone you fly. If you don't want it to autio-update, turn automatic updates off in the Play Store app.

I don't disagree.
Many users will update, automatically or not, downloading a HUGE app, for nothing.

And yes, it's Dji's suggestion, to use the latest version of the app.
And it is their decision, to have one app for all drones. It makes program heavy and buggy.

I'm not sure what the size of the app has to do with anything, unless you're on a metered internet service. It's the rare mobile device these days that can't find room for 600MB of application and data (I have over 300GB of storage on my Note 8). Its resident size while running is around 385MB; that's admittedly a lot for an Android app. But it's only going to be a problem if there's something else you want to do on the tablet/phone while you're flying ... and that's unlikely.

Recommending that the latest software release be used isn't exclusive to DJI ... it's pretty much universal. Not sure why this is an issue either.

Having spent most of my professional life in IT and software, I can understand the reasoning behind having a single code base to maintain across a product line. It's more effort-intensive to maintain and support different versions for different models, and therefore more costly.

I'm a relatively new DJI drone owner, and I haven't experienced significant issues with the software or firmware supplied by DJI. Apparently most of the bugs were worked out before I showed up.

I have many years of experience in software engineering too, and understand that there are a lot of ways to keep and develop common parts of code, between different apps.
I understand also, that Dji's app has been too complicated, since it has to serve 10 or more types of drones. It's obvious that it has become slow too.

There are many reports of users, who encounter problems with go4 app, after updating it.
Size and complexity of the code, have to do with problems in older devices, while older versions of the app run flawlessly.

I sometimes use an iPhone 6, with iOS v.9.03.
DJI doesn't support iOS 9 any more, so for latest go4 version, I have to update iOS too.
Must I do so?
No, not really, since many resent updates, aren't related to my drones.

So, my suggestion is, don't update go4 app, if nothing is added (or corrected) to your drone's functionality.

Reactions: tmarez

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme