Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Go 4 App crash during RTH

jleone15022

Join
Jul 19, 2017
Anyone using Android experience an app crash during RTH? (Return to home) When I use my everyday phone, LG Stylo 3, whenever I hit RTH, the app will crash. No big issue though because the Spark comes back and a simple restart of the app and all is good again.

But whenever I use my old LG Stylo 2 that is not activated as a phone anymore, it all runs smooth as silk. No app crashes at all. It's made me decide to just use it as the dedicated device for flying as it works very well with both of my drones.

Just curious to see if anyone else has a similar experience.

I have the app crash plenty. I have gotten used to it. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy 6.
As long as I can keep control I'm good. First time it happened, I started to freak, until I realized the sticks still worked the bird.
All the more reason to stay in VLOS!!
:rolleyes:

It's the damnest thing. If I use my new Stylo 3 it crashes but if I use my decommissioned Stylo 2, no problem. I just wanted to see how many other folks were having the same issue and if was exclusively an Android issue. I'm not a fan of IOS but my uncle has an iPhone and I might try running the app on it just to see what's up and if there is any sort of difference. But I will most likely be sticking with my Stylo 2 as a dedicated device.

Crashes in ios version of app as well.
I sure hope DJI fixes this soon as it is very irritating and undoubtedly scaring the %$^& outta some people. Could even account for some crashes of the drone itself.
Stay in VLOS!!!

Well I decided to give it shot once again with the LG Stylo 3 after the new update. Still crashes on that phone so I will just stick with the Stylo 2 for flying. Plus that frees up my phone for everything else.

Sent from my LG-M430 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

And unfortunately for me, the battery in the Stylo 2 has gone bad. So I guess the only thing I got to fly with now is the Stylo 3. I'll try to make some room in the memory to see if that helps with the crashes of the app. Guess I'll have to save up for a tablet or something.

Sent from my LG-M430 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

I picked up a Stylo 2 from Walmart for $50 - supposed to be a tracfone, but I never activated it - just using it for flying our new Spark. So far, no issues, but I'm a little leery of using such a cheap phone (vs. using my iPhone). Did you have any issues with range, responsiveness, etc., that makes you think it may not be powerful enough to use as a controller?

Note: we have the remote control, which we plug the Stylo2 into with a cable; not sure if that helps make it "powerful enough".

I picked up a Stylo 2 from Walmart for $50 - supposed to be a tracfone, but I never activated it - just using it for flying our new Spark. So far, no issues, but I'm a little leery of using such a cheap phone (vs. using my iPhone). Did you have any issues with range, responsiveness, etc., that makes you think it may not be powerful enough to use as a controller?

Note: we have the remote control, which we plug the Stylo2 into with a cable; not sure if that helps make it "powerful enough".
I've had zero issues. I've had the Spark well over half a mile out too. Never a problem. I always use the OTG. I just feel more comfortable that way. I have the Stylo 3 as well with the DJI Go 4 app on it too but it always crashes on that phone so I don't normally use it.

But to answer your question, yes. In my personal experience, the Stylo 2 works very well with the Spark.

Maybe the newly updated version of the Go 4 app will be better on the Stylo 3. I'll have to check it out today sometime.

I've had zero issues. I've had the Spark well over half a mile out too. Never a problem. I always use the OTG. I just feel more comfortable that way. I have the Stylo 3 as well with the DJI Go 4 app on it too but it always crashes on that phone so I don't normally use it.

But to answer your question, yes. In my personal experience, the Stylo 2 works very well with the Spark.

Maybe the newly updated version of the Go 4 app will be better on the Stylo 3. I'll have to check it out today sometime.
I just flew 2 batteries back to back on my Stylo 3 and had no app crashes. Maybe the updated app is finally stable.
Further testing will be done later on as I have classes now.

Awesome - thanks for the feedback! Really good news. I was afraid I was being cheap using a tracfone, and that it would bite me at some point. Glad to know it's actually good and stable.

Great! Hope that's the case!
Me too. The Stylo 3 is a much better phone than the 2. Not saying the 2 isn't a great phone either. I'm a tech junkie and I like having the newest stuff from my phone company and the 3 is the newest LG they carry at the moment. (The joys of living in a "nothing" area.)

So far I've been able to do 4 flights with the Stylo 3. I did 2 flights with back to back batteries and then another 2 battery back to back flights. The app did not crash on the Stylo 3. This makes me very happy as I might not be able to use the Stylo 2 much longer as the screen has a couple of dead pixels and they are starting to spread out. Also, I'd much rather use my phone so I have the option to live stream using my LTE network when I'm away from home.

So far I've been able to do 4 flights with the Stylo 3. I did 2 flights with back to back batteries and then another 2 battery back to back flights. The app did not crash on the Stylo 3. This makes me very happy as I might not be able to use the Stylo 2 much longer as the screen has a couple of dead pixels and they are starting to spread out. Also, I'd much rather use my phone so I have the option to live stream using my LTE network when I'm away from home.
It was definitely the previous version of the Go 4 app. I've been flying a lot using my Stylo 3 the past few days and have no issues anymore.

It was definitely the previous version of the Go 4 app. I've been flying a lot using my Stylo 3 the past few days and have no issues anymore.
Nope. It's definitely something with the phone. Maybe because it's my everyday phone. I might be using too much memory or processing power. Ended up flying blind for a bit. So back to the Stylo 2 for flying. I got another battery for it from a friend who's phone was destroyed.
It's the damnest thing. If I use my new Stylo 3 it crashes but if I use my decommissioned Stylo 2, no problem. I just wanted to see how many other folks were having the same issue and if was exclusively an Android issue. I'm not a fan of IOS but my uncle has an iPhone and I might try running the app on it just to see what's up and if there is any sort of difference. But I will most likely be sticking with my Stylo 2 as a dedicated device.

excuse me for digging up the old topic, but - today dji go4 app crashed on my nexus 6p just after the notification about low battery in spark.
good thing is, that sticks still was working, so I could bring my quad safely closer and have it landed :) but I've got a question - what about flight logs then?
when I check the flight record - there's nothing about today's flight, just like it never happened. can I recover it somehow and make the log visible in apps flight record, or it's gone and I just have to deal with that?

excuse me for digging up the old topic, but - today dji go4 app crashed on my nexus 6p just after the notification about low battery in spark.
good thing is, that sticks still was working, so I could bring my quad safely closer and have it landed :) but I've got a question - what about flight logs then?
when I check the flight record - there's nothing about today's flight, just like it never happened. can I recover it somehow and make the log visible in apps flight record, or it's gone and I just have to deal with that?
You are right. Whenever the app crashes, it stops recording the flight log. If you can quickly get back into the app, it will pick up from where it left off but it will record it as a new flight. Sometimes the flights will be recorded as 2 separate flights. If you take notice of the flight times, a normal flight without an app crash might be 12 or 13 minutes. After an app crash or multiple app crashes, you might see 2 or 3 flights recorded that will add up to 12 or 13 minutes. Sometimes I have to wait a little while too until the flight log appears. Even after manually refreshing.

No. But you can extract logs from spark dat file

You are right. Whenever the app crashes, it stops recording the flight log. If you can quickly get back into the app, it will pick up from where it left off but it will record it as a new flight. Sometimes the flights will be recorded as 2 separate flights. If you take notice of the flight times, a normal flight without an app crash might be 12 or 13 minutes. After an app crash or multiple app crashes, you might see 2 or 3 flights recorded that will add up to 12 or 13 minutes. Sometimes I have to wait a little while too until the flight log appears. Even after manually refreshing.

unfortunately I was too much about "let me go back and land safely this little fella" ;( so I didn't get back into the app, just when I noticed, that RC is still working, I just brought the quad closer and land. when I checked later - no logs appeared, so I guess they won't do it in the future.

No. But you can extract logs from spark dat file

sounds interesting! I made a quick search and saw something about viewing .DAT files, but - can it be done in a way that DJI GO4 app would import the extracted data as proper flight-log? I guess it's my curse, but I like stats, numbers etc. and the think that a flight was done, but I can't see it's statistics in the flight record is simply making a hole in my brain ;) even if the flight wasn't special at all.. just a random fun to discharge the battery before storage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leahandran