Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Goggles and Spark...Maximum Limit is 50M, Is this a joke?

Fantomas

Join
Jun 20, 2017
Please tell me this isn't true!

I cannot fly over 50M with my Spark when I use the Goggles.
I get a "Maximum Limit" warning and cannot go any further!
You must be kidding me!!!

No issue when flying with the remote.

Logged out of DJI Go, Logged back in...no change
I removed DJI Go, Cleared the cache and everything, Reinstalled...no change

What's going on?
Please Help.

Last edited:
You need to connect the app first, then disconnect the phone and connect the goggles.

You need to connect the app first, then disconnect the phone and connect the goggles.

Are you telling me that :
1- I have to start DJI GO app
2- Connect my Phone to the Controller (don't know why I have to do this)
3- Disconnect my Phone from the Controller
4- Connect the Goggles
5- Start the Spark and Go Fly

In that EXACT order?
And do I need to do that between every flight?

If yes, that's a weird way to have this limit removed, right DJI?
It should be fixed, right again DJI?

Yes, unless they've already updated the goggles to unlock the limit as well in the latest .1000 firmware. You didn't say what you were using.

Reactions: sassafras
Yes, unless they've already updated the goggles to unlock the limit as well in the latest .1000 firmware. You didn't say what you were using.

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.
Just to make sure, I start the spark and the end of the procedures, is that correct?

What do you mean by "You didn't say what you were using"
(I have the latest firmware on everything: DJI GO, Spark, Controller, Goggles..at least as of last Sunday)

No, you want the spark powered up from the start, it needs to "see" the app. Your "Start the Spark" sounded like "take off".

Goggles need firmware updated through assistant2 on a compluter, make sure you did that.

No, you want the spark powered up from the start, it needs to "see" the app. Your "Start the Spark" sounded like "take off".

Goggles need firmware updated through assistant2 on a compluter, make sure you did that.

OK, so the right sequences are now:

1- Power Up the Spark & the Controller (wait for the green light)
2- Connect the Phone to the Controller
3- Start DJI GO app
4- Disconnect the Phone from the Controller
5- Connect the Goggles
6- Go Fly and Hope for the best :)

Is that better?

Why make things simple when one can make them complicated?
Are you listening DJI?

OK, so the right sequences are now:

3- Start DJI GO app
4- Disconnect the Phone from the Controller
5- Connect the Goggles
6- Go Fly and Hope for the best :)

Is that better?

Why make things simple when one can make them complicated?
Are you listening DJI?

I want to add a step to that list (don't know if it's really needed. I'll test it later)

3- Start DJI GO app
4- Press "Go Fly"
5- Disconnect the Phone from the Controller
6- Connect the Goggles
7- Go Fly and Hope for the best :)

Here's the updated list from everything I've gathered so far...

3- Start DJI GO app
4- Press "Go Fly"
5- Wait a few seconds (App needs to tell aircraft to remove restrictions)
6- Make sure the Home Point has been updated
7- Disconnect the Phone from the Controller
8- Connect the Goggles
9- Go Fly and Hope for the best

It would be SO simpler if DJI could just remove that limit...

Reactions: dragosmd58
And even then, there will be no log, so if you crash in the woods or something, no way to find your drone or send the logs to DJI...

The weird part about that is the goggles hold an SD card, but no info is logged to the card. I expected the goggles to act just like the app in that respect, recording video with audio and flight log.

DJI, is that coming?

Reactions: vekthor
Any updates if the above steps worked? I had the same issue today flying the spark with my new DJI RE Goggles. Analog with my racing drone worked great. I did confirm the 50 meter limit is happening with latest available firmware.

Did a few flights the other day and confirmed this works, thanks! On the plus side, when I let my kiddo or new pilots fly the spark, it works as a safety net leaving that 50 meter geofence up, lowers my blood pressure just a tad when sharing my beloved drone with others.

i can fly 1000m, so easy!

To go farther and get logs files in app, try using the HDMI out on device and HDMI cable to DJI Goggles. This will basically clone the app’s screen on the device. You can use the record feature of the goggles to microSD card too. This setup will not allow the goggles to control the gimbal, only view the cloned screen.

For Apple iDevices, you will need a ~$40 Lightening to HDMI adapter for the device end.

To go farther and get logs files in app, try using the HDMI out on device and HDMI cable to DJI Goggles. This will basically clone the app’s screen on the device. You can use the record feature of the goggles to microSD card too. This setup will not allow the goggles to control the gimbal, only view the cloned screen.

For Apple iDevices, you will need a ~$40 Lightening to HDMI adapter for the device end.
For using the goggles only as a secondary display, it is outrageous to pay their high price. One can get any VR device with HDMI input to do exactly the same thing!
===
On topic: The 50 m distance limit would be fine if there wasn't also a 30 m height limit! I found this out when I was trying to do an inspection video of a radome...

Are you telling me that :
1- I have to start DJI GO app
2- Connect my Phone to the Controller (don't know why I have to do this)
3- Disconnect my Phone from the Controller
4- Connect the Goggles
5- Start the Spark and Go Fly

In that EXACT order?
And do I need to do that between every flight?

If yes, that's a weird way to have this limit removed, right DJI?
It should be fixed, right again DJI?
Yes that is correct and there actually is a good reason.

The goggles work but are not really designed to be used on a Spark. What is happening is that you are replacing your phone, which can relay telemetry and video with a device (googles) which can only view the video output. Basically the controller has no idea that you have a device connected which can help control the drone. As such, you are limited to the same range as if you took off with just the controller and no device connected to it at all. This forces you to maintain the drone within a distance that guarantees VLOS. It's not just the Spark either. Happens exactly the same way on even my P4P unless I have a device connected and use the goggles with the HDMI port.

By powering up with a device attached, you are fooling the controller into thinking that it is connected, even though you remove it after everything is powered up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex