Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Mavic Mini killed the DJI Spark – simplifying the Mavic lineup

J

Josh Spires

DJI-Mavic-Mini-Spark-replacement-1.jpg

DJI’s latest drone, DJI Mavic Mini has been rumored over the last few months to be the DJI Mavic Air or a DJI Spark replacement. We can finally say the DJI Mavic Mini will be replacing the Spark for an important reason other than the improved specs and new look.

more…

The post DJI Mavic Mini killed the DJI Spark – simplifying the Mavic lineup appeared first on DroneDJ.

Continue reading...

I don't need a neutered Spark. It's my entry level drone and does fine for what I need. But then I'm not in the business of having to attract new viewers by showing the latest shiny.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
DJI-Mavic-Mini-Spark-replacement-1.jpg

DJI’s latest drone, DJI Mavic Mini has been rumored over the last few months to be the DJI Mavic Air or a DJI Spark replacement. We can finally say the DJI Mavic Mini will be replacing the Spark for an important reason other than the improved specs and new look.

more…

The post DJI Mavic Mini killed the DJI Spark – simplifying the Mavic lineup appeared first on DroneDJ.

Continue reading...
But DJI Store has already reduced price $50 today of both Mavic mini and Mavic Mini Fly More Combo!!!! Because of unexpected very low demand??? Mavic Mini can't replace Spark!!!

The MM is never going to replace the good old Spark. Why would you make a drone almost the same price as the Spark, and not have (1) Gesture Control, (2) Obstacle Sensing, and (3) ActiveTrack. Three great features that make the Mavic Mini subordinate to the Spark. Also, I can’t believe DJI would discontinue the Spark!! It was a huge hit, and there are hundreds of accessories that make it even better. You can still get it on Amazon and eBay and other online stores, but still, DJI should not have discontinued it. Mavic Mini < Spark.

The MM is never going to replace the good old Spark. Why would you make a drone almost the same price as the Spark, and not have (1) Gesture Control, (2) Obstacle Sensing, and (3) ActiveTrack. Three great features that make the Mavic Mini subordinate to the Spark. Also, I can’t believe DJI would discontinue the Spark!! It was a huge hit, and there are hundreds of accessories that make it even better. You can still get it on Amazon and eBay and other online stores, but still, DJI should not have discontinued it. Mavic Mini < Spark.
I hate wading into these kind of discussions, but here goes anyway. (This is just my opinion)

You must keep in mind that the features you deem important may not be the same ones others deem important. For instance, gesture control. Never used it, don't need to for my purposes. Obstacle sensing, useful, but not a deal breaker for me, as the Spark only has forward sensing over the Mini. (the number of times it's saved me I can count on no fingers, so far) Active track is useful, and I have used it. It's limitation is the speed of the drone. Can't follow my motorcycle and the Spark lacks the obstacle avoidance to follow a t lower altitudes.

However, if I were looking for a beginner drone, the light weight (below most regulator's thresholds), flying time (at least twice the Sparks) and better camera would be more important factors. I would definitely choose the Mavic Mini over the Spark.

As it is, the things on my wishlist are 360 degree (all axis) obstacle avoidance, a better camera. and Ocusync. Unfortuantely my finances mean this may stay on my wishlist for a while. I suppose if I sell one of my motorcycles I could afford it....nah, not yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGD
My concern is the two different models.
I would not buy a crippled EU version.
I'll keep my Spark.

Edit: Another link
Guess I'm fortunate living in Canada. (more ways than one) I don't have to contend with that issue. I can, however, see why this may be an issue for others living elsewhere.

(Speculation) This may be a case of DJI trying to satisfy regional regulators, or not.

Reactions: I B Spectre
My concern is the two different models.
I would not buy a crippled EU version.
I'll keep my Spark.

Edit: Another link
Actually it's not me but my 14 year old son who is about to buy a Spark or Mavic Mini and we live in Europe. I've read the specification about the two different models but to be honest, I still have no clue about the difference. Could you please explain in layman's terms? Thank you!

There are far more knowledgeable people on this forum than me, but I'll give it a shot. The Spark was introduced in 2017 as DJI's entry level "Selfie" drone. It has four brushless motors (longer life than cheaper brushed motors), a two-axis gimbal mounted camera capable of 1080p high definition video and still photos. It has numerous programmed features that may be of interest for taking video while automatically maneuvering. It has an Active Track mode that allows the designation of a person/vehicle to be followed while shooting video automatically. The camera has auto and manual controls for settings such as ISO, shutter speed and exposure value. There are numerous 3rd party accessories available such as lens filters, gimbal guards, landing leg extensions, etc. It can be flown with a cell phone or even without one by using the Gesture Control feature. If used with the Spark remote control, it can be flown similarly to radio controlled airplanes while viewing what the camera sees on your attached cell phone. There are several 3rd party software apps that expand the capabilities of the Spark for things such as programmed, autonomous flight. Flight time is advertised as 15 minutes, but in reality is usually between 10 and 12 minutes. It weights right at 300 grams, so will require registration with many government agencies (i.e., the FAA in the U.S.). Spark also features a forward looking infrared obstacle avoidance system as well as a Vertical Position Sensor (VPS) for indoor flying and automated landing capability. It also has GPS.

The Mavic Mini (MM) also has four brushless motors, a 3-axis gimbal mounted camera capable of 2.7k high def video and stills. MM has fewer programmed features than Spark and no Active Track. The camera has automatic mode only. There is no Gesture Control and MM comes with a remote control that must be used to fly it (no phone control, but phone provides first person view of the drone as well as telemetry). Being new, there are currently no 3rd party software apps as yet. Advertised flight time is 30 minutes, but is more likely to be in the 20-25 minute range. MM weighs 249 grams which, being under the 250 gram threshold, does not require registration with many government agencies although the operator is required to adhere to the same regulations as drones weighing 250 grams or more. MM lacks obstacle avoidance, but has VPS and GPS.

Oh, I almost forgot, in the U.S. the drones can be flown per FCC regulations regarding transmitter power whereas most European countries require compliance with CE regulations. Net result is usually reduced range when using CE compared to FCC.

I hope this helps, but more official information and expert comparisons are available via Googling the net.

Last edited:
Actually it's not me but my 14 year old son who is about to buy a Spark or Mavic Mini and we live in Europe. I've read the specification about the two different models but to be honest, I still have no clue about the difference. Could you please explain in layman's terms? Thank you!
The modes you refer to I assume are the transmission protocols, compliant to FCC vs CE standards. The main difference with respect to our drones would, I believe, be the power output which directly affects the range of the RC (remote control). Which standard your Spark RC uses is determined by the country you fly in.

The Spark can switch modes if you move to a different region that is compliant to a different Standard. There are also workarounds, which you can find online, to fool the Spark into thinking it is in an FCC compliant region when it is in fact not.

From what I understand, the mini will be sold in two different variants depending on the region it is sold in, thus locking it to either the FCC protocols or the CE protocols. I don't know if anyone has found a workaround for this yet, or if that is even possible.

There are far more knowledgeable people on this forum than me, but I'll give it a shot. The Spark was introduced in 2017 as DJI's entry level "Selfie" drone. It has four brushless motors (longer life than cheaper brushed motors), a two-axis gimbal mounted camera capable of 1080p high definition video and still photos. It has numerous programmed features that may be of interest for taking video while automatically maneuvering. It has an Active Track mode that allows the designation of a person/vehicle to be followed while shooting video automatically. The camera has auto and manual controls for settings such as ISO, shutter speed and exposure value. There are numerous 3rd party accessories available such as lens filters, gimbal guards, landing leg extensions, etc. It can be flown with a cell phone or even without one by using the Gesture Control feature. If used with the Spark remote control, it can be flown similarly to radio controlled airplanes while viewing what the camera sees on your attached cell phone. There are several 3rd party software apps that expand the capabilities of the Spark for things such as programmed, autonomous flight. Flight time is advertised as 15 minutes, but in reality is usually between 10 and 12 minutes. It weights right at 300 grams, so will require registration with many government agencies (i.e., the FAA in the U.S.). Spark also features a forward looking infrared obstacle avoidance system as well as a Vertical Position Sensor (VPS) for indoor flying and automated landing capability. It also has GPS.

The Mavic Mini (MM) also has four brushless motors, a 3-axis gimbal mounted camera capable of 2.7k high def video and stills. MM has fewer programmed features than Spark and no Active Track. The camera has automatic mode only. There is no Gesture Control and MM comes with a remote control that must be used to fly it (no phone control, but phone provides first person view of the drone as well as telemetry). Being new, there are currently no 3rd party software apps as yet. Advertised flight time is 30 minutes, but is more likely to be in the 20-25 minute range. MM weighs 249 grams which, being under the 250 gram threshold, does not require registration with many government agencies although the operator is required to adhere to the same regulations as drones weighing 250 grams or more. MM lacks obstacle avoidance, but has VPS and GPS.

Oh, I almost forgot, in the U.S. the drones can be flown per FCC regulations regarding transmitter power whereas most European countries require compliance with CE regulations. Net result is usually reduced range when using CE compared to FCC.

I hope this helps, but more official information and expert comparisons are available via Googling the net.

Thanks a lot for the very thorough explanation, I understand a lot better now!

So basically what it comes down to: what I'm looking for is a good entry-level drone to be used in Europe. Right now my son has a no-camera, no-sensor, $100 dollar toy. He's been saving up for two years to buy a Spark but now he's crazy about the Mini Mavic, I'm not sure whether for the right reasons. I've read in several places, in this thread too, that the MM is a good entry-level drone. What made me originally think was its lack of obstacle avoidance. Would you think it's a deal breaker for an almost beginner? But again, Spark is entry-level, too.
Anyway, I'm trying to find the best option for him. (His English, unfortunately, is not good enough yet to participate on this forum.)
I'd appreciate any insight.

Reactions: Bert1984
The modes you refer to I assume are the transmission protocols, compliant to FCC vs CE standards. The main difference with respect to our drones would, I believe, be the power output which directly affects the range of the RC (remote control). Which standard your Spark RC uses is determined by the country you fly in.

The Spark can switch modes if you move to a different region that is compliant to a different Standard. There are also workarounds, which you can find online, to fool the Spark into thinking it is in an FCC compliant region when it is in fact not.

From what I understand, the mini will be sold in two different variants depending on the region it is sold in, thus locking it to either the FCC protocols or the CE protocols. I don't know if anyone has found a workaround for this yet, or if that is even possible.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot for the very thorough explanation, I understand a lot better now!

So basically what it comes down to: what I'm looking for is a good entry-level drone to be used in Europe. Right now my son has a no-camera, no-sensor, $100 dollar toy. He's been saving up for two years to buy a Spark but now he's crazy about the Mini Mavic, I'm not sure whether for the right reasons. I've read in several places, in this thread too, that the MM is a good entry-level drone. What made me originally think was its lack of obstacle avoidance. Would you think it's a deal breaker for an almost beginner? But again, Spark is entry-level, too.
Anyway, I'm trying to find the best option for him. (His English, unfortunately, is not good enough to participate on this forum.)
I'd appreciate any insight.
As a beginner, I personally would likely opt for the Mini now. Excellent camera, great fly time and no worries about licensing for the pilot or registration for the drone (at least in Canada and many other countries). Also, the cost is less, though I'm sure there are now deals to be had on the Spark if you look around. What you give up are forward sensors and potentially some range. If you're stuck with the 2.0 km range limit (CE model), that may be a problem. But again, for many people 2 km may be more than enough. I lose sight of my spark after not much more than a few hundred meters usually. So technically I should not go much further than that.

In the end it's a personal choice and my needs are likely different than yours, or your sons in this case. I think he would be happy with either. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: BGD and I B Spectre
Some here are of the opinion that lack of obstacle avoidance is not a deal-breaker and that is certainly a valid opinion. I'm usually hesitant to buy any new product until it has established a track record in real world. Spark is a tough little bird as many user reports attest. Mavic Mini, in the quest to save weight, has yet to prove whether its as durable. Certain "teething pains" can be expected with a complex new product such as MM and the early feedback is a mix of pro and con. DJI knew what the Christmas buying season meant when they released the MM. As a Spark owner, knowing the track record of my drone gives me a different perspective than if I was a first time drone buyer. I can only suggest that you diligently research the online communities to see if the MM sounds like something you'd want to invest your money in. It's good to have options and in my opinion, it comes down between Spark and Mavic Mini. Good luck with your quest.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme