Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Tello review!

Rocco Germani

Join
Jul 6, 2018
Loc
VA
Is the DJI tello worth it in 2019? Well, I think this has got to be the best beginer drone I've ever flown!

Do any of the Spark owners here also have a Tello?
I bought one with the extra batteries, plus a controller and case (all for $135) for a good friend for Christmas and it really is an awesome little drone. You can also modify the 10 meter height limit to about 30 meters via an app, and for about $10 buy a range extender, that really makes this into a cool little flier! But yes, it is super tiny and lightweight, so it's not for windy days!!

Hi tello is a great starter drone... I had one for about two weeks as my first drone and liked it so much I bought a spark which I love even more..

Reactions: Rocco Germani
Many of us have the larger drones and enjoy the Tello, too. I carry it around a lot when there is no wind on my rural property. It is so easy to launch quickly and get some nice photos and a higher perspective of the surroundings. I like my Tello because it is so simple yet takes great photos. It is quite durable, too, for a drone. You can toss it around, drop it, crash it and, if no prop is broken, fly it again with no issues. It's just a great toy. My Spark is great for serious flying in stronger breezes, still for close by views. My Mavic is for going to other pastures to check cows, water, calves, gates, water troughs, and the creeks. So all three have their nitch and the mighty little Tello is among them. UPDATE A YEAR AFTER THAT COMMENT: Wow. Tello is STILL fun and now with the new app TELLO FPV it is like a new drone, even having features like RTH. Amazing refreshment of a year old product.

Last edited:
Yup, I have a Tello too and I absolutely love it! It is very different from the Spark, much lighter and simpler to use. It is a very good indoor drone, and it is decent for outdoor use. For outdoor use I recommend :

1) a range extender
2) using an app to increase the maximum altitude up to 90 feet
3) use the sport mode when outdoors
4) don't fly in windy conditions

The photo quality is pretty good
The video quality is poor

All in all the Tello is a fantastic drone at a very good price.

I forgot to add that unlike the Spark whose RC is excellent and hugely increases the Spark's flight envelope, the Tello is better flown without the rather mediocre BT RC.

Hi tello is a great starter drone... I had one for about two weeks as my first drone and liked it so much I bought a spark which I love even more..
I did exactly the same thing! Had my tello up for sale after I bought the spark, but decided against it as it is just so much fun to fly around with it and not worry too much about crashing it (unlike my spark).

Yup, I have a Tello too and I absolutely love it! It is very different from the Spark, much lighter and simpler to use. It is a very good indoor drone, and it is decent for outdoor use. For outdoor use I recommend :

1) a range extender
2) using an app to increase the maximum altitude up to 90 feet
3) use the sport mode when outdoors
4) don't fly in windy conditions

The photo quality is pretty good
The video quality is poor

All in all the Tello is a fantastic drone at a very good price.
Thanks a lot for the advice.
Note that there is no need for an application as the settings allow now to choose max flight altitude up to 30m.

I love my Tello.

We fly it indoors mainly, and outdoors if there's no wind.

In sport mode and with a WiFi extender, it is pure fun to fly.

Expensive batteries, with very limited flying time, are the cons of this little guy.

Tello is a very good toy drone for beginners because it can hover in one place on its own (with good lighting conditions) Pros - lightweight and easy to maneuver, decent 5 MP camera that takes nice pictures and videos (for the money it is actually the best), fairly easy to control with your cell phone, pretty durable (fell several times on concrete from about 10 feet with no real damage to the props/body, just keep the prop guards on); Cons - too lightweight (you can't fly it in any wind over 5 mph, I tried, it flies away lol), Wi-Fi connection is spotty and its range is limited, updates are hard to install, once it's dark the drone stops 'sensing' the ground which is a problem because then it can no longer hover in one place on its own and it's hard to land it. The drone's greatest asset is its camera, I enjoy using it indoors. Just know its limitations and you won't be disappointed. You can check price of new DJl Tello here - AEROMOTUS

Last edited:
If someone wants to give a look at what my daugher did, here is the video.
I did not understand the language? But I did understand the body language and I gave her a thumbs up! But if I understood all of it right that kid is a pro at what she said I also got a kick out of when she pulled the drone out of the box an stood there for a split second like there was no drone but I knew that it was between the two cardboard forms that keep the drone from getting crushed. So very well done!

Reactions: Soar Like an Eagle
I did not understand the language? But I did understand the body language and I gave her a thumbs up! But if I understood all of it right that kid is a pro at what she said I also got a kick out of when she pulled the drone out of the box an stood there for a split second like there was no drone but I knew that it was between the two cardboard forms that keep the drone from getting crushed. So very well done!
Thank you very much!
I told her and she's very happy!

Reactions: Chuck Halfacre

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme