Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Does it seem like the Spark's compass is more sensitive to errors

shorttimer

Join
May 26, 2017
Having read a number of threads I was wondering what others are seeing. In all my miles (over 300) on my P3A and P3P as well as my Mavic I have seen a compass error once. My Spark, out of the box seemed to give me a compass error when flying right in my front yard, really intermittent just every now and then and it is never consistent with any area. My other P3 and Mavic have no issues at all. So I put it on my deck to take off from there. It gave me a compass error there as well. The only thing metal was a screw underneath maybe 10" away. So maybe because it sits lower to the ground it is more vulnerable. I put my other drones in exact same spot and no problem at all. So it appears, at least to me, it is a lot more sensitive. Mine just displays the error randomly but yet flies perfectly straight as well as lands exactly where it took off from. Just upgraded the firmware, calibrated the IMU and will calibrate the compass on the Spark to see if it makes any difference. Are others seeing more compass errors than say on their other drones?

Having read a number of threads I was wondering what others are seeing. In all my miles (over 300) on my P3A and P3P as well as my Mavic I have seen a compass error once. My Spark, out of the box seemed to give me a compass error when flying right in my front yard, really intermittent just every now and then and it is never consistent with any area. My other P3 and Mavic have no issues at all. So I put it on my deck to take off from there. It gave me a compass error there as well. The only thing metal was a screw underneath maybe 10" away. So maybe because it sits lower to the ground it is more vulnerable. I put my other drones in exact same spot and no problem at all. So it appears, at least to me, it is a lot more sensitive. Mine just displays the error randomly but yet flies perfectly straight as well as lands exactly where it took off from. Just upgraded the firmware, calibrated the IMU and will calibrate the compass on the Spark to see if it makes any difference. Are others seeing more compass errors than say on their other drones?
Yes I have the same problem. I get compass errors all the time. Then I pull out the Mavic and put it in the same spot and it is fine.

The Spark was supposed to be easy and quick to launch, but I can get the Mavic in the air way quicker. That eliminates a major benefit of the Spark in my opinion. I hope a firmware update will fix this.

I was getting a lot of compass errors, then I switched to the OTG/USB connection on the controller and "Poof", they seem to have disappeared. (WiFi turned off on phone)

I got a compass error once, then realized I turned the damned thing on while it was sitting on the trunk of my car. ;-)
Otherwise it's not been an issue for me.

Didn't get error where I would not expect it. Still with factory calibration as it is fine.
A compas calibration is recommended in your case but do it at a place where there is steel or other magnetic material.

I'm not getting any more then usual. And I have several hundred flights on other DJI products.

I had issues with my spark compass only once, before I took off it kept telling me to recalibrate the compass. After doing the 360 spin 10 times I realized that it might be due to the nearby High Voltage power lines. The lines were about 40 feet away up in the air, so I walked around the other side of the building and got a bit further away and it finally accepted the compass calibration. Haven't had an issue since.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex