Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone Insurance

marzdrone

Join
Dec 27, 2017
I called State Farm yesterday in an attempt to get drone insurance, but they said they don't offer it anymore. I'm not so sure I believe that. Anyways, with that said has anyone gotten drone insurance (specifically for crashes) anywhere else (besides State Farm/DJI refresh - where I missed the two day window to acquire it)?

Reactions: ccolt1
You can still buy DJI Care Refresh. You'll have to activate it like this though.

I would consider state farm insurance - $60 and you don't have to jump through the GJI hoops. It's also covered if it gets lost and you can't recover it. Someone started googledoc listing of agents per state and what they were charged / experience here:

State Farm agents who write UAS policies.

This was the biggest help!!! I will be calling my local agent. I contacted State Farm and they were giving me a hassle. These agents might be more help.

Mine just renewed and it is still $60. It is called a "Personal Articles Policy." I have my Spark, P3P and Mavic covered, all under the same policy. They do not cover my iPad.

Reactions: Gregory Buchanan
I called State Farm yesterday in an attempt to get drone insurance, but they said they don't offer it anymore. I'm not so sure I believe that. Anyways, with that said has anyone gotten drone insurance (specifically for crashes) anywhere else (besides State Farm/DJI refresh - where I missed the two day window to acquire it)?
I just purchased a Personal Articles Policy, from State Farm, $60 per year, it is for 3 drones valued at $2700 total. Covers repairs and replacement. This is not for liability though, that is separate on my homeowner's policy. Hope that helps.

Reactions: shorttimer
I also have State Farm for Spark replacement (Illinois). For liability I have $500k from Academy of Model Aeronautics for $38/year.
Hey what's up I'm in il and looking to cover my drones. Could you give me the agents contact number so I can call them thanks.

The State Farm will cover virtually any loss except fraud. It does not cover liability but my State Farm homeowners covers that. If you crash it, it flies away, you forget it on top of your car and drive off, it falls down the stairs... all are covered. Mine covered all the DJI piecesand case but not the ipad which is no biggie.

I also have State Farm for Spark replacement (Illinois). For liability I have $500k from Academy of Model Aeronautics for $38/year.

If I am not mistaken, AMA coverage only applies when flying at AMA sanctioned flying venues. The rules are pretty tight, and really limit where you can get coverage. For example, if your local bylaws prohibit you flying in a park, and you harm someone there, AMA coverage does not apply. I'm sure this isnt too different from most insurance policies, but just beware and be careful.

"f I am not mistaken, AMA coverage only applies when flying at AMA sanctioned flying venues."

That's not right, but you do have to be careful. The AMA rules covering Spark are here:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/545.pdf
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

For the second item, see B.3, discussion of keeping people behind "flight lines" - that is hard to interpret and could be of concern. It references document #706 which mentions flight lines parallel to runways and also says, "These suggestions are not mandatory requirements,..." A lot of the language was written with reference to planes (referring to runways ), not copters.

It may be worthwhile asking AMA for some interpretation.

As for the personal liability insurance one usually gets along with their homeowners insurance - these usually cover damage or injury you may cause to others when away from your home, but there are often specific exclusions. Interestingly my State Farm policy excludes damage I may cause when using an "aircraft." Whether or not that includes hobby "toys" like Spark - I will be asking my agent on Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: suprPHREAK
AMA will cover any model aircraft (aka drone), if you’re a current member, regardless of where you fly it, as long as you are in compliance with their Safety Rules. Check it out at modelaircraft.org. Rules are the usual stuff, less than 400 feet, don’t fly over people, etc. AMA basically wrote the FAA reqs for personal drone flying.
One requirement that a lot members overlook is having your AMA Number, or name and address, on or in the aircraft.

AMA 1328 - CD Leader Member

AMA will cover any model aircraft (aka drone), if you’re a current member, regardless of where you fly it, as long as you are in compliance with their Safety Rules. Check it out at modelaircraft.org. Rules are the usual stuff, less than 400 feet, don’t fly over people, etc. AMA basically wrote the FAA reqs for personal drone flying.
One requirement that a lot members overlook is having your AMA Number, or name and address, on or in the aircraft.

Good point!

Good to know! Do you know if the rules/coverage is the same in Canada (MAAC)? If the gov is going to force us to have insurance, I want to know what I'm getting.

I also asked my State Farm agent if my homeowners liability coverage included damage caused by my drone. In fact it does not cover damage I might cause with an "aircraft," but it does cover damage caused by a model aircraft used for recreational flying as follows:

EXCLUSION: bodily injury or property damage arising out of the ownership, maintenance, use, loading, or unloading of:
(1) An aircraft. This exclusion does not apply to the ownership, maintenance, use, loading, or unloading of unmanned aircraft systems used as model aircraft: (a) solely for recreational or hobby purposes; (b) designed to be operated within the visual line of sight of the operator and operated within the visual line of sight of the operator; and (c) weighing not more than 55 pounds at the time of operation; unless the ownership, maintenance, use, loading, or unloading of such aircraft results in: (a) property damage to any aircraft; or (b) bodily injury or property damage resulting from interference with an aircraft carrying people regardless of whether the bodily injury or property damage is sustained by people or property on the aircraft or not.

So this does provide coverage unless I hit a real aircraft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme