Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drones at Disneyworld

Diesel

Join
Mar 26, 2018
Loc
Boston
So I'm heading down to Florida in a few weeks and spending 7 days at Coronado Springs resort. I was already aware that you can't fly drones over any of the amusement parks and that they are very strict on enforcing this (I believe it's automatic 1 year in prison), however, only half of my resort is within the FAA Restricted Zone.

Does any have, or know someone who has, any experience flying at any of the resorts (or Coronado Springs specifically) that is outside the restricted zone? The only posts I seem to find regarding flying at Disney refer to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and other parks that are clearly within the restricted zone.

Thanks!

Only Disney can fly drones over the park areas (until 2020). They're part of the Holiday show I believe.

I would contact the resort for their policy on UAV use. Most resorts don't like the idea, but
If you have remote pilot certification, they may allow it. Resorts are full of people... not flying
over populated areas will be the concern.

Good luck!! Lot's of controlled airspace in central Florida. Be careful!

Reactions: Diesel
The Coronado Springs Resort is a Disney owned property. They have a strict policy against drones and an impressive security team to enforce it. Disney has been known to call the FAA directly regarding violators and bypass local law enforcement entirely.

While the resort property is well outside the theme park's NFZ it is still private property - as a guest you must agree to abide by the property owner's rules.

You cannot take off or land on Disney property but the airspace over the property is regulated by the FAA and not the property owner. The exact altitude over personal property at which FAA takes over is often disputed.

According to AirMap the Coronado is within 5 miles of two heliports requiring notification. The Orlando area has remarkably heavy low altitude helicopter traffic due to the large number of major hospitals and tourist attractions.

I live in the general area and suggest you take a short drive outside of the city. The area has thousands of lakes and beautiful scenery.

If you attract the attention of Disney security you are gonna have a bad day - they have an impressive team of lawyers too - that's how they got their own personal NFZ in the first place!!!

Reactions: Diesel and BigAl07
The Coronado Springs Resort is a Disney owned property. They have a strict policy against drones and an impressive security team to enforce it. Disney has been known to call the FAA directly regarding violators and bypass local law enforcement entirely.

Thank you for all the useful information!! I don't think we'll be venturing off Disney property on this particular trip so I'll just leave Ole Sparky at home this time, but I'll definitely bring it on my next trip when I get a chance to see more of Florida.

I have relatives that live around the Boca area- do you know of any "go-to" spots around there?

I actually lived in Boca Raton for a long time. I left in 2001 because out of control growth making daily living a drag.

There is almost no open land in which to fly and the executive airport in the middle of city is extremely busy.

That being said the beach to the east is the best option. And if you are out west they is some farmland either side of State Road 441 or Lyons Road. Just be mindful of Everglades National Park and Loxahatchee Wildlife Reserve

Reactions: Diesel
You might want to double check AirMap.
Flying under Part 101E now and not Section 336 so we are no longer required to notify heliports.
Case in point, I just flew the Presidential funeral train in Millican, Texas.
During the planning stages (Monday thru Wednesday), AirMap said "Fly for Fun Section336" and there were 3 heliports I had to notify.
Come Thursday morning the day of the event, AirMap said "Fly for Fun Part 101E" and there was no one to notify.

So I double checked with The Fountians at Bellagio Las Vegas and in my planning stages, 12 heliports to call.
Yesterday morning I checked and all I have to do is notify McCarran intl. - no heliports!

I'm late to this party, but I flew a Yuneec Breeze in the parking lot of a Disney resort WAY away from the hotel and guest areas to get a selfie with the whole family. Security was on me before I had it on the ground, maybe seven minutes. Literally, a 50 foot flight to get the whole family with the rental sports car convertible in frame... I was honestly impressed they found me as fast as they did. When they saw what I was trying to do and not "fly the park" they were very cordial and took the picture for us, but told me to keep the drone on the ground.

So I'm heading down to Florida in a few weeks and spending 7 days at Coronado Springs resort. I was already aware that you can't fly drones over any of the amusement parks and that they are very strict on enforcing this (I believe it's automatic 1 year in prison), however, only half of my resort is within the FAA Restricted Zone.

Does any have, or know someone who has, any experience flying at any of the resorts (or Coronado Springs specifically) that is outside the restricted zone? The only posts I seem to find regarding flying at Disney refer to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and other parks that are clearly within the restricted zone.

Thanks!
The Disney "No Go" red circle is surrounded by Class B Airspace whose floor is 4,000' on the East side and 6,000' on the West Side. This Class B Airspace overlies Class C Airspace that goes down to 1,200 ft. Below that is default Class E airspace extending upward from 700'. So, I'm thinking right next to the Red Circle (below 700' AGL) is Class G uncontrolled airspace. Not telling you what to do but I wouldn't fly there to just see whatever I could see from 400'. Thing is, if it's recognizable Disney stuff, I'm pretty sure I couldn't sell the footage without permission from Disney AND The permanent TFR for the Disney airspace designates it a "National Security" concern with SERIOUS PAIN for violation. So, I'd be very afraid of letting the drone fall into the circle.

Fly Safe! Get good footage!

I found out in Las Vegas the class B "floor" does not matter.
FAA will not grand authorization to fly in McCarran's Class B airspace, or any Class B airspace in Clark County unless you have a Part 107.
Even if you are flying as a hobbyist.

Ref the following:
We only authorize Part 107 certificated operators in Las Vegas Class Bravo Airspace. I have copied in Nick Colvin who works in my office and is also an approval authority for our airspace.
Scott R. French
Albuquerque District- TWAB
Airspace and Procedures Manager
725-600-7068

All thanks to a jackwad that did this at Whitney Park:

I found out in Las Vegas the class B "floor" does not matter.
FAA will not grand authorization to fly in McCarran's Class B airspace, or any Class B airspace in Clark County unless you have a Part 107.
Even if you are flying as a hobbyist.

Ref the following:
We only authorize Part 107 certificated operators in Las Vegas Class Bravo Airspace. I have copied in Nick Colvin who works in my office and is also an approval authority for our airspace.
Scott R. French
Albuquerque District- TWAB
Airspace and Procedures Manager
725-600-7068

All thanks to a jackwad that did this at Whitney Park:
Negative! The floor is where class B starts. Below the floor is not class B airspace. That’s the whole reason the floor is specified on the section chart.

McCarran class B airspace is surrounded for 30 miles by class C airspace which (5 miles from the airport) starts at 1200 feet MSL. The class C airspace is underlied by class E airspace that starts at 700’ MSL. Everywhere from the airport out to 5 miles is “controlled airspace” starting at the the surface extending upward way past the 400’ AGL that sUAS (part 107 or part 101.41) are allowed to fly. Bottom line, no flying sUAS within 5 miles of McCarron unless the Airport operator AND ATC allow it (which you say they won’t.). FAA has gone on record to say that they won’t override the local authorities. So, a little more than 5miles from the airport, there ARE places where you can fly legally and get footage of Las Vegas in the distance from 400’ up.

Last edited:
I've seen a few posts about and it looks like there is a conservative effort to not let drones fly and are limiting them to only 1 or 2 areas in every state, Now on the flip side we all know it can be dangerous to air traffic

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef