Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Droning on the Farm

sirkkelley

Join
Sep 24, 2018
I have done some research about video editing on mobile devices this week and have found that it is very easy to add effects and build intro's!!!
This is more of a test run with some footage that I shot last Friday at a buddy's farm. I just wanted to see if the intro and effects I had built would look decent. The process is very easy but it has many options. I did all of this on my iPhone using Keynote and iMovie, they are both stock apps free of charge. I am excited about all of the future possibilities. Let me know what you think or what mobile apps you are using to edit your videos. Thanks in advance.

Enjoyed a lot! Opening animations worked flawless and your scene transitions are very well done. And all on an iPhone, wow, great job!

Reactions: sirkkelley
Did you have any issues flying out of a metal barn? Did it lose GPS in the barn?

Did you have any issues flying out of a metal barn? Did it lose GPS in the barn?

I didn't lose GPS, but it seemed to affect the altitude hold when i was flying through. The drone would change elevation and i had to react somewhat quickly. I never felt that it was out of control. I flew through a few times and found that the faster i went the less of a problem I had. I had to try it though because there are not many opportunities to fly through something so open.

Very impressive work, even more so to learn it was edited on your iphone. As noticed in your previous video on Okaloosa Island, you've really got a talent for composition, editing and supporting soundtrack. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: RotorWash
Very impressive work, even more so to learn it was edited on your iphone. As noticed in your previous video on Okaloosa Island, you've really got a talent for composition, editing and supporting soundtrack. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comment. I have always enjoyed photography, and with the technology embedded in the new phones and availability of mobile editing software, it makes everyone a professional. I have had my Spark for about a year now and feel that I am getting the hang of understanding how to get shots that I want. Using different editing techniques is what I want to focus on now. Thanks again.

Reactions: Spark 317

This is a video that I did last fall. I had only been flying for around 3-4 months at the time. One of the best locations that I have every had the pleasure to shoot at. Working in videos from a "grounded" camera with a variety of perspectives would have been beneficial in this video. I guess everything is a learning experience though.

Wow, another winner ?! I can't question as to whether a "grounded" camera would've been beneficial because IMO, it stands tall as it is. I'm surprised the geese were as calm as they were with a drone nearby. Initially I could hardly believe they were unexcited when you approached them low and close, but then I thought I saw the bow of a boat or canoe momentarily in the lower frame, which would be much less concerning to them. You're a good cinematographer and one smooth stick wiggler. Thanks for sharing.

This is a video that I did last fall. I had only been flying for around 3-4 months at the time. One of the best locations that I have every had the pleasure to shoot at. Working in videos from a "grounded" camera with a variety of perspectives would have been beneficial in this video. I guess everything is a learning experience though.
Ok, that one got me emotional, wth! Awesome job! Shot it out of the park with that one! ? ?

Wow, another winner ?! I can't question as to whether a "grounded" camera would've been beneficial because IMO, it stands tall as it is. I'm surprised the geese were as calm as they were with a drone nearby. Initially I could hardly believe they were unexcited when you approached them low and close, but then I thought I saw the bow of a boat or canoe momentarily in the lower frame, which would be much less concerning to them. You're a good cinematographer and one smooth stick wiggler. Thanks for sharing.

What you saw in the bottom right corner of the frame when I was circling the geese was another goose! It tried to take me down (1:34). The footage that I edited out was me pulling up super fast to get away from it. I was still learning to fly, well I guess we are always learning, but I came close to taking a dip in the water many times that day. No risk, No reward.

Looking more closely, I see the goose's head just for an instant. One of the things I like about this video is that you start out in monochrome, which is okay since it's the first snowfall and you kind of expect it. Around :50, the color emerges and you notice it, but it's not like a Wizard of Oz moment, it's much more subtle. I had to go back over it to see exactly when it went from b&w to color. Great use of it as a transition. The soundtrack chosen was outstanding.

Looking more closely, I see the goose's head just for an instant. One of the things I like about this video is that you start out in monochrome, which is okay since it's the first snowfall and you kind of expect it. Around :50, the color emerges and you notice it, but it's not like a Wizard of Oz moment, it's much more subtle. I had to go back over it to see exactly when it went from b&w to color. Great use of it as a transition. The soundtrack chosen was outstanding.

Thank you. I was skeptical about doing b&w in the intro but I think it worked out. Like you said, “it’s the first snowfall and you kind of expect it.”

One of the most difficult things when filming then editing is shot selection and the pace of the film. Music, for me anyway, is a key component of the whole and you have a real talent for getting all these elements just right. Well done. Especially love the way you used the b/w of the Canada geese to work with the predominant greys of the first snows of the winter. Pepped me up for the day, thank you.

I have done some research about video editing on mobile devices

I have not, but I'm going to soon.

You've done some incredible work on a device.

I fly with a mini4 and two Droids.

I find it's a drag sometimes to take the card out, transfer to a PC, edit, etc.

How do you transfer the video files to the device?

WiFi, chip reader, cable?

Both videos were awesome.

I have not, but I'm going to soon.

You've done some incredible work on a device.

I fly with a mini4 and two Droids.

I find it's a drag sometimes to take the card out, transfer to a PC, edit, etc.

How do you transfer the video files to the device?

WiFi, chip reader, cable?

Both videos were awesome.

I use something like this.

It works really fast and transfers at perfect quality. It was so cheap that I had to give it a try. I have imported videos to my PC and tried editing using a couple of different editing software's but have found that iMovie is the easiest to use and I have also started using Keynote to add different effects. I use a iPhone XS Max, so if you have a mini4 it will be much easier for you with the larger screen.

Reactions: Spark 317

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav