Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Europe Spark Distance Boost

MyLittleDrony

Join
Sep 16, 2017
Not sure if we're allowed to talk about hacks here, but long story short, I really need more range from my DJI Spark or I'm taking it back to the shop and getting a refund as I have a 30 days no quibble thing.

I didn't pay £700 for something that drops connection if the viewing conditions are less than perfect and while this is an amazing little machine, between the gimbal twitching, the relatively short long range on it, and knowing it frequently cuts out even within a 100m radius if I go behind something, its really really killing my enjoyment of the thing as all my videos have a intermittent twitches, and while its a drone I can take everywhere, the lack of signal strength mean, its not a drone I want to take everywhere becuase I know it either won't fly far enough, or the conditions will mean I get breakups and disconnects at short range.

I am using a good iphone and the OTG cable, so on paper this should be the best scenario.

I love everything else, and I accept the twitching is not that bad, and will get better, but at the moment the range is a deal breaker, it was not at the start as I was in awe of this thing, but the honey moon period is over, and I'm starting to have second doubts and the clock is ticking on when I can take this back, so what are the options, and how effective, costly are they?

Hacking.
Antenna Update.
Parabolic

Etc.

if I could get 1500m in good conditions, and a more consistent experience with less cut outs in the short range that would help.

I'm sure I am not alone!

Reactions: Nobby
This might be unpopular but I would recommend you get a mavic instead. The light bridge technology will really help your distance requirements.

Not sure if we're allowed to talk about hacks here, but long story short, I really need more range from my DJI Spark or I'm taking it back to the shop and getting a refund as I have a 30 days no quibble thing.

I didn't pay £700 for something that drops connection if the viewing conditions are less than perfect and while this is an amazing little machine, between the gimbal twitching, the relatively short long range on it, and knowing it frequently cuts out even within a 100m radius if I go behind something, its really really killing my enjoyment of the thing as all my videos have a intermittent twitches, and while its a drone I can take everywhere, the lack of signal strength mean, its not a drone I want to take everywhere becuase I know it either won't fly far enough, or the conditions will mean I get breakups and disconnects at short range.

I am using a good iphone and the OTG cable, so on paper this should be the best scenario.

I love everything else, and I accept the twitching is not that bad, and will get better, but at the moment the range is a deal breaker, it was not at the start as I was in awe of this thing, but the honey moon period is over, and I'm starting to have second doubts and the clock is ticking on when I can take this back, so what are the options, and how effective, costly are they?

Hacking.
Antenna Update.
Parabolic

Etc.

if I could get 1500m in good conditions, and a more consistent experience with less cut outs in the short range that would help.

I'm sure I am not alone!
But if you flew 1,500 meters you would be in breach of the Air Navigation Order and breaking the law anyway under CAP393 94/94. So moot point.

Reactions: mmp76 and Kn0xster

Hacking.
Antenna Update.
Parabolic

Etc.

I'm sure I am not alone!
Hack against the firmware or software of the Spark, it is not allowed, General Rules 16.
You should try Windsurfers antennas reflectors. It will not make wonder and it will not compensate if your Spark or RC is faulty. It will focus the RF power from the RC to the Spark, the Spark will not be changed and it will also attenuate interference that would come from behind the RC.
I assume you have disabled bluetooth and wifi.

But if you flew 1,500 meters you would be in breach of the Air Navigation Order and breaking the law anyway under CAP393 94/94. So moot point.
The point of the OP was that if you can reach long distance in perfect conditions, it means that in normal use, at shorter distance and with more disturbance, it will operate in a much reliable way. I read it this way.

Reactions: sebip
The point of the OP was that if you can reach long distance in perfect conditions, it means that in normal use, at shorter distance and with more disturbance, it will operate in a much reliable way. I read it this way.
He'd still violate the regulations about maximum signal strength in the relevant bands.

Yes yes all those regulations. The windsurfers are good, take the golden ones, with those you can get up to 600-1000m (my record) with picture and good picture till 400-600m.
If you want to tweak more and not go in the software (wouldnt do it because of safety) get different antennas, search for mavic range extender on ebay.. :)

So?

If I'm in the middle of nowhere, there is no logical reason why 1500m is a problem, for the most part its to ensure the signal is reliable at the shorter distances and that just happens to transfer into greater distance.

At the moment the Spark is a far more dangerous tool because its losing connection at shorter legal distances. Today it broke connection at 275 meters and 100m high and a low flying helicopter popped past from nowhere from the local hospital (yes I know about notams, and air space categories), it was pure luck it missed it, because if I flew 100m to the right, it would have possibly hit it as the screen goes blank and you lose all control while RTH is invoked. That's a good, truthful real world example of how overzealous locking down of things can cause more harm than good. Even when flying within the limits.

Someone with good intentions and awareness flying 1500m away is safer than someone with bad intentions flying 50m, or play lottery with drop out connections and DJI's silly enforced RTH altitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nobby and Manazuma
^^^^^^^^ And that response ladies and gentlemen demonstrates perfectly why we have a problem with the way individuals look at aviation safety (or not in this case).

No; your response exposes a flaw in your logic.

I already said despite flying within legal distances my drone cut out its video/control feed before that because DJI was forced to retard its power output, even though, I was still flying within the allowed distance, the lack of transmission power means that for many people and places, the spark at present cannot be trusted, even when flying within legal distances. I had to fly so high because it helps with the transmission problem I was aware of.

So if I am told I can fly 120m high and 400m out, and then my drone craps out in certain conditions at 175m out and 65m high, its a lottery, and that's not DJI's fault or mine, its the people pretending they are making this hobby safer who said you have to tone the power down, like its really going to cause a problem if it was a bit higher.

The CAA or whoever have no problem allowing low flying jets over peoples heads at local airshows, that despite multiple accidents and engines full of flammable fuel that could kill 1000's, but my 350g drone makes them all scholars of law and safety all of a sudden. Its BS.

And its why many people justifiably do not follow the rules. In this case, the rules are causing more harm than good.

Maybe I should just hover 50m x 50m to be sure while these people approve a billion times more risky things, they are just abusing drone pilots because the industry is so young and they have all the power.

They won't be happy until they screw over a really good hobby.

Last edited:
You have already dug yourself a nice deep hole. There is clearly no need to supply you with a JCB for you to continue excavation and show up your ignorance of UAV aviation safety even further.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alan Playford
You have already dug yourself a nice deep hole. I see no need to supply you with a JCB to show up your ignorance of UAV aviation safety even further.
I rest my case.

You talk about obeying safety and rules, while seemingly being ok with drones losing connection within legal distances to prevent flying further outside them.

If I'm in a hole, then it appears I at least have some company...

If I am flying outside the legal range, I can at least expect problems like disconnects, I can at least plan if I choose to go there, which I seldom do, but if I am flying in allocated distances and I still lose connection due to authorities trying to prevent long range flights, then I'm curious why you seem to be offended by that as the authorities are making things more dangerous by telling me I can do something, which has already caught me out.

ATM Its a bit like driving a car with a fuel gauge which is lying to me.

its not my fault if my drone loses connection, it IS someone else's fault if the company making the drone has been ordered to reduce the power output which is causing this and that is resulting in the drone cutting out sooner than the legal distance.

Last edited:
You talk about obeying safety and rules, while seemingly being ok with drones losing connection within legal distances to prevent flying further outside them.

If I'm in a hole, then it appears I at least have some company...

If I am flying outside the legal range, I can at least expect problems like disconnects, I can at least plan if I choose to go there, which I seldom do, but if I am flying in allocated distances and I still lose connection due to authorities trying to prevent long range flights, then I'm curious why you seem to be offended by that as the authorities are making things more dangerous by telling me I can do something, which has already caught me out.

ATM Its a bit like driving a car with a fuel gauge which is lying to me.

its not my fault if my drone loses connection, it IS someone else's fault if the company making the drone has been ordered to reduce the power output which is causing this and that is resulting in the drone cutting out sooner than the legal distance.

If you are flying FPV with goggles (or with a phone/tablet as a screen) (e.g. Spark or Mavic, etc) then slightly different rules apply. You need to have a "competent observer" with you who has to have "unaided visual contact". However, you can then fly up to 1000ft (300m) above surface level, and there is no specified distance limit other than the observer still having unaided visual contact. The 400ft (120m) height is only applicable to aircraft over 7kg. Reference: "Air Navigation Order 2016 General Exemption E 4457".

Reactions: Chris Atkins
I am heavily opposing a trend here in the forum to educate everybody about what is useful, legitimate or legal use of a drone. This is the topic of a separate area in this forum anyway.

Discussions regarding reach of the Spark should be confined to a purely technical discussion, within this area.

Just my two cents.

BTW, any gray-imported Wifi router causes much more harm to the correct operation of a building's Wifi networks in CE land than a drone outside operating at FCC power. Moreover, directional antennas may be more detrimental than an FCC power switch would be. So therefore, we shouldn't assume that a rule does automatically make sense only because it does exist ...

If you don't like it, don't read it?
People have the right to write about whatever they want. This isn't North Korea.

Hacking.
Antenna Update.
Parabolic

Etc.

I'm sure I am not alone!

What shop did this come from? Interested to see where you can get a drone from, fly it for 30 days then take it back..... cheers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit