Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

FAA Drone Advisory Committee meeting video - 1..5 hours

Watched it and can see where the various groups are trying to "do it right" in constructing the overarching regulations. As always the devil is in the details and to "do it right" means different things to different people. When I was flying in general aviation, one got the sense that commercial aviation felt they should have priority and would have been happy if general aviation went away. Same thing with the military. Obviously military operations are necessary, but they tend to grab airspace in large chunks whenever they can. Commercial operations make their living from moving people and material often with large, fast aircraft and small, slower aircraft just get in the way in the vicinity of airports. I foresee commercial drone operators, particularly with companies such as UPS, FedEx, Amazon and the like as elbowing their way into the lower strata airspace. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I was impressed by the insight brought to the discussion by the guy representing DJI. While supporting the committee's goals, he was able to explain the difficulties in trying to achieve some of the members' ideas. I welcome the discussion on how the RID (remote identification) may open up some airspace currently off limits such as parts of National Parks. It'll be interesting to see how these evolutions will impact those of us flying legacy drones.

Reactions: Mtntrogger
Watched it and can see where the various groups are trying to "do it right" in constructing the overarching regulations. As always the devil is in the details and to "do it right" means different things to different people. When I was flying in general aviation, one got the sense that commercial aviation felt they should have priority and would have been happy if general aviation went away. Same thing with the military. Obviously military operations are necessary, but they tend to grab airspace in large chunks whenever they can. Commercial operations make their living from moving people and material often with large, fast aircraft and small, slower aircraft just get in the way in the vicinity of airports. I foresee commercial drone operators, particularly with companies such as UPS, FedEx, Amazon and the like as elbowing their way into the lower strata airspace. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I was impressed by the insight brought to the discussion by the guy representing DJI. While supporting the committee's goals, he was able to explain the difficulties in trying to achieve some of the members' ideas. I welcome the discussion on how the RID (remote identification) may open up some airspace currently off limits such as parts of National Parks. It'll be interesting to see how these evolutions will impact those of us flying legacy drones.
Great insight sir. Thank you

Reactions: I B Spectre

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers