Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

FAA investigates near drone-helicopter collision off Hollywood

A lot can be Learned from situations like these. I am very glad this didn't turn into a bad situation but it could've easily happened. I am very meticulous about keeping LOS. In south Florida there are a lot of airports and chances of encountering some type of manned aircraft are very high. Always be safe and obey the rules. They can save you and someone else.

this is another reason why we have so many regulations for drones , people fly where ever they want to fly
with out realizing the consequences for all the law abiding drone pilots . remember just because you are below 400 feet the maned aircraft still is in the right of way , you have to avoid them , not the other way around . learn how and where to fly or go play video games and you can crash all you want with out doing any one any harm . grow up .

Certainly if you are in urban or semi-urban areas, double extra care should be taken, even out in the country, I still have a look at FlightRadar24's app to see whats overhead. If you are interested in flight paths in your area (and you should be if you fly drones) this is a great site.... SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts .

I hate to be an old crank, but we as a community need to self police and call out those who take stupid risks.... I have done so here and some other forums. Sure we aint saints, a bent rule here or there is okay as long as its not in aid of something like the first post in this topic... amazing the drone didn't get sucked into that bird's props. @Mark, thanks for sharing, it needs to be shown. Like this story....Drone pilot fined $160 for flying UAV that hit baby in the face How the hell must that guy feel? I'd be devastated if I caused that....

I also live in South Florida and it's extremely common for helicopter pilots to hug the shoreline traveling at top speed. They like to follow the coast for easy north-south orientation and fly below 400 feet without any worries of buildings or trees. By the time you see or hear them there's barely enough time for evasive maneuvers. The only solution is to stay below 200 feet and have a spotter with you.

Most of them are law enforcement, military or medical transport. That's some terrible PR if you you cause an accident or injury. Let's all agree to be mindful of this scenario.

Every piece of technology is regulated (in organized communities), for keeping people and environment protected.

I don't believe that there will be more regulations, or restrictions, because someone flew near a helicopter. Airspace is already regulated.

On the other hand, it's not easy for a drone to collide with a manned aircraft. Of course, an accident is possible, even if possibilities are low. That's why all these incidents are "near".

For now, drones are a little"mysterious" machines, with unknown capabilities for the ignorant masses. This is the reason for media and people over-reacting, every time a drone is involved in some case.

The solution for minimizing risks, is EDUCATION. We must be educated to proper use of technology (not drones only), and we must educate people to accept technology without fear.

It's very easy to avoid a possible collision with a helicopter. We have to lower flight altitude, immediately, as soon as we hear a helicopter flying in the area.

To avoid crashes and accidents, we must become good "pilots", so training (in safe environment) is essential.

>>> Always remember to maintain visual line of sight as well as be mindful of your surroundings. Don't keep your eyes glued to your screen ....Always remember to maintain visual line of sight >>> as well as be mindful of your surroundings. Don't keep your eyes glued to your screen.A lot can be Learned from situations like these...

I've thought about this quite a bit and I don't think it is so simple. It is quite possible to be careful and legal, but still have a heli at 200' approaching at 175 mph smack into you. Of course manned ACs should have the "right of way" and LOS helps, but really you may have very little time to react (look at that video!). Do you go up, down, left or right? Can you really tell what to do by looking up from the ground a couple of hundred yards away? You will probably hear it before you see it - but what do you do (I speak from experience on that)? If the answer is go down be advised that Sparks (and most fixed pitch copters) are constrained to descend very slowly (otherwise they will fly thru their own propwash and tumble).

Oddly in this particular case the best thing was for the pilot to have his eyes glued to the screen - then he might have been able to make the right move. Of course if the manned aircraft is approaching from behind - well then it's not such a good idea. In a world with a lot of recreational and professional UAV's, a manned helicopter flying at high speed and low altitude along an urban shoreline - maybe that is not such a good idea. Then - what do you do about medical emergency copters?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sakis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit