Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Fake GPS app to change from CE to FCC and RTH effect

Gareth

Join
Feb 13, 2018
Hi All,

Post from South Africa, which is CE region.

Has anyone tried using a fake GPS location app such as this:

Would this affect the RTH functionality at all? Not sure I want to comprise this safety feature.

However, it seems that you are just tricking the spark and Go 4 app when using the fake location to make it assume you are in a different region, but then go and switch the fake GPS off and just use the spark and Go 4 app as normal the second time around and just do not update the settings when launching the DJI Go 4 for the second time.

Can you still set the home point as your current point? Anyone had any luck with this or something similar to change to FCC mode from EC?

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
Amazing! I have to say, pretty ingenious, the things we enthusiasts have to do to fully enjoy this sport. When left with few choices, you must find some.
Would also be curious to see if everything works as it should. In particular the safety protocols built into the system.

I've done that. Before 1st flight. Not exactly with the same fake GPS app.
Everything works flawless, including RTH. I just can't see channel bars.
I fly with official app here and there only. I mostly fly with dedicated Android, where I have MOD2 and LITE apps, I'm using OTG. I can't notice any difference between those 2 and official one, except additional features. I probably wouldn't need OTG, but it works flawless and I have it - tiny Spark dedicated one. 4 € on ebay.
My sequence was:
- Uninstall original app.
- Delete original app.
- Delete complete DJI folder (with logs etc).
- Delete cache memory on phone.
- Enable developer options on the phone.
- Enable fake GPS location in developer options.
- Install fake GPS app.
- Switch off GPS, wifi, bluetooth and mobile data on the phone. Flight mode with wifi only will be OK.
- Connect your phone wifi with wifi netowrk to enable internet access.
- Start fake GPS app - on the map go somewhere you know FCC is allowed, press ''play''.
- Go to Google maps and you'll see ''where you are''. This is how you'll make sure that fake gps app works. In my case, first fake gps app didn't work, second did.
- Leave fake gps app active.
- Download and install latest DJI 4.2.6 app. I didn't use google play, I dowloaded it directly from DJI web site.
- Switch ON RC, switch ON Spark, wait for green LED on RC.
- Connect your phone wifi with RC wifi. Start app, login with your account, select ''Go Fly''.
- App will prompt you to reset wifi settings. If your Spar was in CE before that, hit confirm.
- Wait Spark and RC to reset wifi - reset if necessarry.
- You should be in FCC mode.
- Switch off spark and RC, exit app. Go also to settings and force shut down the app.
- Stop fake GPS app, go also to settings and force shut down fake gps app.
- Switch ON real gps, mobile data and WiFi on your phone. Bloetooth is not needed, even more, advised to be switched OFF. You don't need it for Spark.
- Connect your RC with spark. Wait for green LED. Connect your phone wifi with RC wifi.
- Open Go4 app, tap Go Fly. App will prompt you to reset wifi since you are flying in another country / region. HIT CANCEL THIS TIME AND EACH NEXT TIME YOU WILL FLY. Otherwise you will have to do complete procedure again. Now you have to be aware that since you ''forgot'' to reset wifi, you might not be entirely ''by the book''. Its up to you. As said many times, take care for safety and use common sense how, where and how far you will fly.
- To be 100%, fly your spark, keep LOS and you should be able to fly MUCH MUCH further then in CE mode.
- As told, I've never seen channel bars, I also can't see / estimate if I have 11 or 13 channels. I just know that I can go above 1000m. 1st image transmission warning at 1050m.That's all I wanted. To be sure that I have reliable signal within 500m radius.

Good luck and report back.;)

If this works for you, give credits to forum member Haggi.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikoG
Hi All,

Post from South Africa, which is CE region.

Has anyone tried using a fake GPS location app such as this:

Would this affect the RTH functionality at all? Not sure I want to comprise this safety feature.

However, it seems that you are just tricking the spark and Go 4 app when using the fake location to make it assume you are in a different region, but then go and switch the fake GPS off and just use the spark and Go 4 app as normal the second time around and just do not update the settings when launching the DJI Go 4 for the second time.

Can you still set the home point as your current point? Anyone had any luck with this or something similar to change to FCC mode from EC?
Update:

I have managed to set it in FCC mode (only see channels 1-11). I can also then set my home point to my actual location where I currently am so I am sure all checks out. That is where the RTH would go to (where the home point sets).

Will test distance tomorrow as it's too windy this evening!

Makes perfect sense on the channels. But it does leave you thinking...the other channels are still there physically, you just can’t see them in the app. But hypothetically, they are still available.

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
I'm in SA and have did the hack a few months back.
All works fine including RTH.
Spark is so much more reliable now.
Cheers

I'm in SA and have did the hack a few months back.
All works fine including RTH.
Spark is so much more reliable now.
Cheers
Awesome! I've done it now and everything works perfectly. What range do you get? I've got 320m distance on 5.8 without loosing signal or getting any warnings. Haven't pushed it further yet.

Can't say exactly, but i think it was in the region of 350meters.
Also fixed my lag on my android phone.
No dropped signal etc.

350 was that max? If it was well then I can show you a better way. Im also in CE country and getting getting 3km easy.

Reactions: Sirblackhand
350 was that max? If it was well then I can show you a better way. Im also in CE country and getting getting 3km easy.
I got to 350m on 5.8ghz didn't push it further than that. I'm in CE but got it into FCC mode. How do you get 3km?

I got to 350m on 5.8ghz didn't push it further than that. I'm in CE but got it into FCC mode. How do you get 3km?
Im also in CE but in FCC mode. Anyway you Spark is trustworthy whether it is long or short distances. Even over water it is pretty reliable. I changed my remote controller settings to be in US region. So none of this Fake GPS stuff to worry about. 3km is easy target. Just got to trust your Sparky. Anyway will pm you.

Im also in CE but in FCC mode. Anyway you Spark is trustworthy whether it is long or short distances. Even over water it is pretty reliable. I changed my remote controller settings to be in US region. So none of this Fake GPS stuff to worry about. 3km is easy target. Just got to trust your Sparky. Anyway will pm you.
Okay cool thanks

Wasn't max, just the furthest I had pushed it.
Please drop me a pm with the remote details too

Hi all.
For me it cause to increase the distance from 300m to 1000 m.

I believe i could push more but i was worry due to flight at forest zone.

Hi Yuval, was that on 2.4 or 5.8? I've gone 350m on 5.8 before turning back, didn't loose signal though

Yes . At 2.4 the distance is very limited. I try to switch to 5.8 and from that point i keep fling only on this freq.
I got today the wifi extender so i will test it on 5.8 +wifi extender5 and will update my post.
In all my regular flight i don't fly so far but sometimes it is needed and give me more confidence to fly without any lose of communication.

FCC mode sounds awesome (i am in Europe, CE Region)! I am currently waiting for a new spark and wonder if I can just leave it in FCC Mode. Apperently they all ship in FCC. Can I just use latest djiGo 4 on my android and cancel the region message? Which updates can I make? The modded dji go app is justt for changing the the region once the region is 'accidently' set to CE, right? Are there other advantages?

I afraid that the new update of dj4 app it is locked and you can't cheat it in Europe. I saw an icon on a user!
Screenshot_20180511-171214_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

Fcc mode still works with new update on mine I was flying my spark yesterday in fcc mode with go app version 4.2.14

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit