Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Fireworks with Spark and Mavic Air (let the negative comments begin)

BingErr

Join
Sep 28, 2017
Posted this to MavicPilots and SparkPilots forums because I used both drones quite a bit. I watermarked the corner of the screen with "hd" or "4k" so you can tell which drone I'm using for each shot. Overall the Mavic Air did AMAZING. Very clear shots with very little blur of the fireworks. 3-axis gimbal was very evident on the Mavic Air, as the Spark was tilting all over the place since there was a little wind last night (nothing too bad). The Spark shots are a little blurry at times and the video overall seems a little gray instead of black. Just a bit more contrast on the Mavic Air as well as more vibrant colors. All the city fireworks were over Silver Lake so I really don't feel I was putting anyone in danger since it would just be my property falling into the lake if something went wrong. I'm open to hear another point of view if you can persuade me.

I won't even bother as there are too many to enumerate. I just hope you have really good liability insurance.

Reactions: BingErr
Why would there be any negative comments?
Just so long as you were within the states:
You were isolated,
You checked he airspace,
You are good to go to 400ft

Common misconception that under 336 we can only fly 30 min past sunset
There is no regulation prohibiting night flight under 336

So I would be highly interested in hearing your perception @Pappy...

I flew last night too.
I had the blessings of the City Parks Dept and the airport.
BTW, I was 0.2nm away from the airport - FTW !!!
4th of July Fireworks Display Fredericksburg, Texas - July 4, 2018

Why would there be any negative comments?
Just so long as you were within the states:
You were isolated,
You checked he airspace,
You are good to go to 400ft

Common misconception that under 336 we can only fly 30 min past sunset
There is no regulation prohibiting night flight under 336

So I would be highly interested in hearing your perception @Pappy...

I flew last night too.
I had the blessings of the City Parks Dept and the airport.
BTW, I was 0.2nm away from the airport - FTW !!!
4th of July Fireworks Display Fredericksburg, Texas - July 4, 2018

Very nice. I need to flying near our airport with permission sometime. I've only every done it in Green Bay because all you have to do is leave a message with your flight details so it's super easy. Good idea to build a possitive relationship with the local airport and eliminate the negative perceptions on drone.

Reactions: pmshop
Beautiful.

How did you nail exposure? What were the settings? Did you shoot in dlog with the Air and correct in post?

That was a cool up close and personal view for sure! I kind of liked the blurred HD effect. It made the colors stand out a bit more but then the 4K was stunning! Thanks for sharing that and I'm glad that your Mavic did not get shot down. :eek: :D

Crazy good. Some of these shots are impressive and so close to the fireworks, I love it. Thanks!

Fullauto is really surprising. Would have expected pumping exposure on every explosion.

And what did choose for the Air. Have the same combo Spark + Air.

Won’t be able to get those shots in my country as night-flights need a commercial permit, which is out of my reach.

Beautiful.

How did you nail exposure? What were the settings? Did you shoot in dlog with the Air and correct in post?
Just left both drones on automatic exposure. And I actually didn't do any clean up in post. What you see is what I shot with exception to a couple speed changes and a few times I zoomed to 130% to cut down on some of the redundancy of using the same shot from the same angle. No color correction or exposure adjustment.

That was a cool up close and personal view for sure! I kind of liked the blurred HD effect. It made the colors stand out a bit more but then the 4K was stunning! Thanks for sharing that and I'm glad that your Mavic did not get shot down. :eek: :D
Thanks for the watch and comments. You can def tell a difference between the Spark and Mavic. Mavic's just a little bit clearer and brighter, but both drones performed great.

This is really, really cool! Screw whatever negative comments you may have gotten, cause you put your drones at risk for our viewing pleasure! Kudos to you and honestly, keep doing what you're doing [emoji123]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme