Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Firmware improved performance

AeroMirage

Premium Pilot
Join
Jul 28, 2017
Loc
North Carolina
Did the update to AC, RC and all 3 batteries then went for a trial run.
I now see very little video lag / freeze where it was a constant issue before.
App did not crash and seems like range increased.
All in all, looks like an improvement.
No problems here.
:cool:

Do you connect your Android device with an OTG cable or use the WiFi connection? Thanks.

I use wifi. I tried the OTG thing 2 weeks ago and didn't like the side effects.
It discontinued my auto connect on my home wifi, causing me to dig for the password that I haven't had to enter for over 2 years.
It also cancelled the auto connect of the wifi to my spark.
Didn't see any benefits at all, so I reverted to the wifi connection, which was lousy, but is far better now after the FW update.

Reactions: Don
I'll get my first flight in this weekend after the update. I hope the dronie shot is fixed. Also do any of you experience a drift with the gimbal? For example, I'll just be hovering and notice the Spark sort of turn to the left a bit and I'm not touching anything on the RC. I don't know if this new update fixes this or not.

I use wifi. I tried the OTG thing 2 weeks ago and didn't like the side effects.
It discontinued my auto connect on my home wifi, causing me to dig for the password that I haven't had to enter for over 2 years.
It also cancelled the auto connect of the wifi to my spark.
Didn't see any benefits at all, so I reverted to the wifi connection, which was lousy, but is far better now after the FW update.
Thanks for the info. OTG is a bit tricky to master. Might try WiFi again based on your feedback.

Thanks for the info. OTG is a bit tricky to master. Might try WiFi again based on your feedback.
I like the idea of a hard-wired connection, but it's just another procedure on a device that's supposed to be quick and easy, so as long as I'm not flying at extreme range, I won't use it unless I have to.

Did you do the update via wifi or through the Assistant. I tried with the app and wifi and was getting error after it said it was updated. Had to go to the DJI Assistant and update it that way. For the aircraft. Looks like the RC update went ok through the app and wifi.

Let me know if anyone else see some weirdness after the upgrade.

I think all has settled down now but need to go test fly for a while

I see lots of threads about OTG and WiFi, which to use....
Noone considers the power saving (Phone battery) of using a OTG connection. (which is why I use OTG... I sometimes have disconnects but that's RC to Drone connection, nothing to do with RC to Phone)

I have tried upgrades with the Spark all three differing ways. Wifi usually has trouble and OTG works at time. The DJI Assistant seems to be the best and most complete way of upgrading the Spark. The Mavic is a different story

Myeagle, is there any better sequence (e.g. Controller first, Spark second with each battery) that you have found?

You have to update each battery after updating the AC and remote. To do so, plug the bird into your computer, open DJI assistant then click refresh on the update tab. It's funny, it seemed like it just stopped near the end. And I was unsure if it updated until I put the battery in the bird and powered everything up. All was go.
Then just to see if it knew the difference, I put a battery that I had not updated into the bird and powered up. Got a warning immediately that said, "Cannot Take Off" . Clicking on that warning it changed to "Mismatched Firmware, update battery".
This seems to lend credence to the belief that this firmware update is directly related to batteries and / or problems that were present within them. Never expect DJI, or any company for that matter, to admit to a defect or flaw. The implications are immense.

Reactions: mcquoidd
and whats all this talk about the drone becoming a brick if no update ??? , ... I am on holiday atm and dont even think Ill be able to do it until after sept 1.... doesnt seem right

and whats all this talk about the drone becoming a brick if no update ??? , ... I am on holiday atm and dont even think Ill be able to do it until after sept 1.... doesnt seem right
I'm pretty sure you won't have an issues if you don't use your phone to fly as the Spark itself and neither the RC can determine a new firmware is mandatory.
If you start DJI Go 4 while connected to the internet, it's another story.

This quote from the 'News' page at the DJI site
DJI News - DJI

"If the firmware of either the aircraft or the battery is not updated by September 1, Spark will not be able to take off."

What it does not say is whether it will be simply grounded until the update is done. This would have to be the case. It is the only thing that makes sense. Imagine that you ordered a new Spark and received it on Sept 2. Yes, it would be notifying you that new FW is available and must be done in order to operate the drone. Would they 'Brick' all stock that was warehoused? I think not.

I like the idea of a hard-wired connection, but it's just another procedure on a device that's supposed to be quick and easy, so as long as I'm not flying at extreme range, I won't use it unless I have to.

What difference does the cable do regarding range?

Did you do the update via wifi or through the Assistant. I tried with the app and wifi and was getting error after it said it was updated. Had to go to the DJI Assistant and update it that way. For the aircraft. Looks like the RC update went ok through the app and wifi.

Let me know if anyone else see some weirdness after the upgrade.

I think all has settled down now but need to go test fly for a while

I also had to use Assistant 2 to get AC updated. After that RC and batteries went fine through DJI Go/WiFi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast