Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

First Crash

BradmanOH

Join
Mar 25, 2018
Loc
Cincinnati
Caught a tree branch in the backyard today while I was getting the feel for my new Spark.
The prop guards did their job and took a pretty hard hit. It was enough to bend the prop guard so the prop hit it. When I tried to restart the Spark it wacked the prop guard and I got a "motor obstructed" error on the screen. I shut things down and bent the prop guard back, it looks a bit beat up but probably saved my props.

Lesson learned: Use the prop guards! :)

Hi Brad. Sorry that happened to you. I think it's interesting that the avoidance sensors did not see the branch. Were you in sport mode?

No worries. It was a skinny branch that snagged the prop guard and then I think it slammed into a fence.
Overall, no major damage. I was able to bend the prop guard back into position.
Good times.

Do the propeller guards impair performance in any way?
Prop guards strongly affect performance for sure.
It's not that light for the small Spark and has a strong aerodynamic impact.
Fact that flight time is reduced by 20 to 30% simply proves it...

I’ve not tried them… But with a mostly 8 foot ceiling in my house I have not started the thing up indoors. I did that once for a second and it was terrifying ha ha.

I find that the prop guards are very useful.

First of all, they protect the props from twigs, birds, poles, and maybe save a nick on your fingers as well.

Second, they make the Spark appear larger to birds and the Spark is easier to see when flying a little further.

Third, they make a great carry handle for the Spark. If my hands are full, the Spark can hang from my pinky finger while holding other stuff.

I’m sure there is a performance hit, but I appreciate the protection over the performance.
I’m guessing a reduction in flight time (every gram counts) and an acceleration and top speed hit due to the drag.
I’m just poking around learning all the new features of the DJI universe, so I don’t really mind.
If I had a big empty field to practice in I might fly without them. Since I get to dodge trees with no leaves, I’ll keep them on for now.

If I had a big empty field to practice in I might fly without them.

Even in a big field, IF the Spark falls to the ground, the guards may protect the arms, motors, and props from breaking in two by hitting the guards first absorbing and distribute the impact.

Kind of like an Indy Car.

Hallo to all, i try to fly indoor and yesterday i have my first crash. My Spark not saw a wall and crashed to ground from 1.7 mt. It seems to be ok. But i'm really worried about.

Prop guards absolutely affect performance BUT if you're not going too far or high and just plan to hang out in the back yard or at a picnic around friends and family, the guards are PRICELESS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex