Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flights of Mozzie

Where is this Pine Island Reserve? That looks like a great place to go tubing.

I wish I could visit Australia but that is something I will never be able to afford. There is also a place known as "Pine Island Reserve" here in the states that is in a resort area of the outer banks of North Carolina. When I Googled Pine Island Reserve, I saw that one was there and one here so I knew it had to be in Australia as there is no terrain like that here.

And if you are "still getting the hang" of flying your Spark, then you only need maybe two more flights to be an expert! :D

Reactions: pmshop

Next day I went about 2km upstream and filmed this, pushed out against the wind for an very fast wind assisted return.

I’ve also speed up some of the footage (I put this together in iMovie).

Flight log says 6 flights and 53 minutes now, still learning.

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

Grabbed these photos in a late afternoon flight at the Lake near work/home.

Thanks for sharing your new video and the pictures. You live in such an interesting and beautiful place. I gave you a like and subscribed to your YT channel so I can see more of Australia. Take care, happy flying and I'll be watching.

I wish I could visit Australia but that is something I will never be able to afford. There is also a place known as "Pine Island Reserve" here in the states that is in a resort area of the outer banks of North Carolina. When I Googled Pine Island Reserve, I saw that one was there and one here so I knew it had to be in Australia as there is no terrain like that here.

And if you are "still getting the hang" of flying your Spark, then you only need maybe two more flights to be an expert! :D

I am with you on that GW
Got close to swinging it '06 but the closer 6 months out got for advanced purchase, ticket prices soared.
And even worse, back when I was in Okinawa in '91-'92, had a chance to go for $1,000 round trip and week's hotel through the USO.
But at that time i was a hopeless drunk :(

Great photos... Looks like you were using sport mode for some of that. I think all of us newbies are inclined to be over bearing on the yaw stick... its hard to be subtle.... I really wish the software would allow a sensitivity control for that for all modes..... I used Tripod mode to get smoother pans somewhat successfully, but for these course corrections, its a challenge to be smooth. You barely have to touch that stick to get it to turn... Lovely location. Thanks for sharing.

@pmshop and others who have had addictions, congrats on getting high THIS way instead. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.:eek:

Great photos... Looks like you were using sport mode for some of that. I think all of us newbies are inclined to be over bearing on the yaw stick... its hard to be subtle.... I really wish the software would allow a sensitivity control for that for all modes..... I used Tripod mode to get smoother pans somewhat successfully, but for these course corrections, its a challenge to be smooth. You barely have to touch that stick to get it to turn... Lovely location. Thanks for sharing.

@pmshop and others who have had addictions, congrats on getting high THIS way instead. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.:eek:

Staying sober for 16.75 years continuous (26 years for medical purposes as my Drs do not count a one day slip) is what got me here.
Quit smoking 1/1/15 is what afforded me the hobby.
Cigarette budget is now my drone budget for when I was building them :D

Now since the first of the year, I have been contributing 66% of the monthly payments towards my 1st used car that is financed.
Slowed down on the building since I got the Sparks.

Reactions: graywoulf
Thanks again everyone.

I’m fortunate to live in a picturesque part of the country, but also be able to work near/at the top of my field here which does afford me the luxury of hobbies and travel. It hasn’t always been easy and my wife (a veteran on a military pension) and I have our struggles but we do ok.

I got into drones close to two years ago, built a few and taught myself flying, but like many hobbies the “value” of a DIY build started being poor compared to the quality of middle of the road Stuff, like for example the Xiaomi Drone, when it comes to photography and video. When the price of the Sparks dropped here a few weeks ago I simply “had to do it” and spent the money. I’ll sell of some other bits and pieces laying around to pay for it and divert the “hobby money” into it for a while.

The yaw movement as part of navigation is my Achilles heel right now, the videos are all done in “regular” mode, with all assists on, so it is up to me to get a better feel for feeding in the yaw while maintaining forward momentum. I would describe it as getting a feel for the “drift” of the airframe and working with it. At the moment I still fight it too much.

I’ll have to get more stick time after work for the next few weeks as I want to be better at planning flights and executing them by August when I get to Malaysia for a few weeks.

The Lake next to work - I walk around part of this most days and it looks so much better from the air!

Got my PolarPro filters and put the ND16 on and tried a couple of flights over the river again. It seems to have made the video a little better but quite possibly the ND32 would be a better choice in this winter sunlight.

I took Mozzie to Honeysuckle Creek and flew over the old Tracking Station site.

This is where the first video of the moon landing was received!

I think I need to try an IMU calibration as he’s starting to be a bit more affected by drift and wind etc.

Really nice mate, you call yourself a noob? Your flying experience shows, even if taking cinematic video isn’t what you’re use to doing.

Finally something that’s not a river, lump of concrete or my house!

I was walking back along the river trail to the car after flying some batteries over the river to the north and saw this small mob resting in the sun. When they’re laying down you barely will see ‘roos while they watch you.

The Spark disturbed them enough to watch it carefully but not enough to actually stress them into leaving. The startup beeps of the RC were what alerted them the most.

When I was in KL last month I took a punt at flying in the KLCC Park, thats the one at the base of the twin towers. The level of radio, magnetic and GPS interference was epic, so once the Spark was more than 20m away I barely had useable Video feed back to the R/C and quite a few times outright control dropped out.

I later found out that flying there is also heavily policed/maybe illegal, at 7:45am when I did this a security guy turned up and watched for a bit while I was landing and packing up, but no problems for me. Still wouldn't recommend it :)

Another flight from July (yes I'm finally catching up on my editing). This time the North section of the park near work/home. Using some of the iMovie tricks to increase water clarity in post.

Filmed with a PolarPro ND16 filter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme