Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flyaway spark

chits

Join
Dec 18, 2018
I am thinking about getting a new spark but there seems to be so many flyaways is it a major issue with the spark.

This is a major issue with all DJI drones. In nearly all cases, it's caused by some type of pilot error (something the pilot did by accident or should have done to avoid the problem). If you understand how the drone of choice works, how to operate it, what causes a flyaway, etc., then you'll be able to greatly reduce the chances of such an event.

All fly aways are reported, which might give the impression that it happens very frequently. I'm flying with two dji drones and never lost one. I lost connections sometimes and got sometimes error messages, but these things disappeared after sometime or could be solved by landing, switch off/on again. In the beginning this might be scary, but normally it's not a real problem.

Nobody has any idea of the actual number of fly-aways. And nobody has any idea how many Spark units that DJI has sold. So it is mathematically impossible to determine the frequency of fly-aways when you don't no l know the numerator or the denominator. To state as fact that fly-aways are a major issue is complete speculation.

For instance: 100 fly-aways may sound like a lot but if they sold 100 million since the release that would only be a 1 in a million occurrence.

And to state is fact that "nearly all" fly aways are pilot error is just as speculative. It has happened to very experienced pilots who never had a cause other than equipment malfunction. The Spark and phone and remote interaction has many potential points of failure without blaming the user.

And to state is fact that "nearly all" fly aways are pilot error is just as speculative
After you've taken the time to gain a deep understanding of DJI flight logs and have spent countless hours reviewing the cases posted in this forum and other DJI drone forums, you will quickly be singing a different tune ;)

After you've taken the time to gain a deep understanding of DJI flight logs and have spent countless hours reviewing the cases posted in this forum and other DJI drone forums, you will quickly be singing a different tune ;)

Been there. Done that

That's called anecdotal "evidence". Selection bias. Speculation.

Been there. Done that

That's called anecdotal "evidence". Selection bias. Speculation.
You're a rather new face around here. I've never seen you help anyone with flight logs.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one :)

So can you share the top 3 causes for flyaways ?

So can you share the top 3 causes for flyaways ?

True fly-aways are very rare. And often the cause is never definitively determined. Not much you can do if a serious and sudden hardware or software malfunction. But there are some things you can do to mitigate the risk from environmental and user error:

5 Easy Steps to Prevent DJI Drone Flyaways (YouTube)

Must Have Knowledge to Prevent Fly Aways (DJI Support)

Many new pilots are eager to take off and don't wait for enough GPS satellites to be acquired or forget to set a Home Point. This one comes up again and again.

Ignoring an on-screen warning or repeated loss of signal often precedes a fly away - better to land safely if you can't quickly correct the problem.

Last edited:
In your opinion is it safe to use return to home function after you are done flying or is flying manually back home preferable. I avoid return to home but not sure if that’s necessary.

Return To Home feature is reliable IF:

1. Home Point is set only after an adequate number of satellites has been acquired (10+)
2. Home Point is re-set whenever operator moves a substantial distance from original takeoff site (ex. boating)
3. RTH altitude is set high enough to clear all obstacles on the route home
4. Ascend to about 25-30 feet and hover a few seconds over initial takeoff spot - this allows the downward camera to obtain an image that will pinpoint RTH location

Considering the above - RTH does have several potential points of failure.

I find it incredibly easy to manually return home flying along the green line on the map and using the video feed as confirmation. I reserve RTH for emergencies or other malfunctions - never had to use it yet but good to know it's there.

Enjoy

I am thinking about getting a new spark but there seems to be so many flyaways is it a major issue with the spark.

Well, add me to the fly away stat. my Spark was just hovering (around 50m). right above my back yard. I was slowly turning it around, just to capture the Christmas lights of the neighborhood.

all the sudden ... weak GPS signal, signal loss, compass failure. I started to bring it down. too late, it took off. tried return home, no luck. Right now, I'm just sad. I really did like it. unfortunately, cant afford a replacement. maybe some day in the future.

I had a spark that did exactly that. Hovering 30m overhead with god signal and then it suddenly said signal loss and vanished over buildings and disappeared forever. Reported it to dji and they looked at the logs and are replacing it. No pilot error. This drone was on its second flight.

Reactions: mano
I do wish that the Spark had an Atti Mode you could switch on.. Or a "beginner mode" then "intermediate training" with GPS off...

Many of the people I have talked to that had a "Fly Away" did not know how to fly a drone without GPS...

I have had mine lose GPS and being at altitude the winds can grab it and take it away.

Another thing that people should learn is to kick it into sport mode when problems arise. For example if the upper winds are stronger than the spark, you will need sport mode to battle it..

My view is that the sensors are great, but also can be the biggest problem. (Sun blind, Over Water, etc.)
Fly Safe.

I recently had a flyaway... tried to regain control to fly it back manually, but nothing. Luckily, DJI ruled it a manufacturer error; and they have shipped my replacement.

Well, add me to the fly away stat. my Spark was just hovering (around 50m). right above my back yard. I was slowly turning it around, just to capture the Christmas lights of the neighborhood.

all the sudden ... weak GPS signal, signal loss, compass failure. I started to bring it down. too late, it took off. tried return home, no luck. Right now, I'm just sad. I really did like it. unfortunately, cant afford a replacement. maybe some day in the future.

Have you tried contacting DJI? If it was hardware error they will replace it.

Mine flew away, my fault that it lost contact with the remote. After a few scary minutes it came home on its own and made a grand entrance. Smart Spark!

A lot of these fly-aways are just atti mode and the wind takes it.
I've had the Spark do this plenty of times you have to learn to fly a drone without GPS lock and Los flying
As soon as that GPS and it goes into atti mode the shock of actually having to fly these drones manually they panic then the spark gets to far away and don't ok know which way is forwards and lose orientation of the spark so the spark goes with the wind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex