Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying below your take off height...

BrianP

Join
Jan 27, 2018
here's the scenario...

standing on a takeoff point that is a cliff edge...
Plan is to fly out and down to film the cliff face

My Question is : will the drone like that the signal is now coming from above?
Will it drop the signal because of the height difference between Tx and Rx?

Cheers for any real world stories of similar such flights!

( it's a Mavic Pro, using Ocusync if that makes any difference )

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
I have flown below my take off point many times and had no issues with the signal. I think the issue would be if something was between the transmitter and receiver that might block the signal.
that's great to hear!
Thank you NOLADG. It's a weight off my mind and a whole new ball game for future coastal flights.

Hi Brian, yes easy to fly up or down, just keep the flats parallel and as close to facing the M1P as you can.
The M1P antenna are in the front legs, and face controller flats either way towards the drone.

I'd still keep an eye on the signal strength gauge as you descend, so you know how it's going, once you are aware of any variance in signal from above, you can probably fly a little more easily.
RTH for failsafe if signal lost should be addressed for best effect to the terrain too.

This is from the Spark manual, same deal for the M1P .. .. ..

spark_antenna.jpg

For interest, the Spark antenna are internal, located on the inside sides of the body just behind the front legs.

From the DJI forum, Spark section . . .

090141qj5j5jcenjj3n3e3.jpg

Hi Brian, yes easy to fly up or down, just keep the flats parallel and as close to facing the M1P as you can.
The M1P antenna are in the front legs, and face controller flats either way towards the drone.

I'd still keep an eye on the signal strength gauge as you descend, so you know how it's going, once you are aware of any variance in signal from above, you can probably fly a little more easily.
RTH for failsafe if signal lost should be addressed for best effect to the terrain too.

This is from the Spark manual, same deal for the M1P .. .. ..

View attachment 14027

For interest, the Spark antenna are internal, located on the inside sides of the body just behind the front legs.

From the DJI forum, Spark section . . .

090141qj5j5jcenjj3n3e3.jpg
Thanks for the info SPark-South_Oz.
It's good to know when trying something totally new to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers