Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying Under Influence

I should me mindful of this. Thanks for sharing Ranjit.

I should me mindful of this. Thanks for sharing Ranjit.
Most welcome, Nilanjan!
Actually, I'll be visiting Osaka and Kyoto in mid September for a week, and was checking up on the rules, and came across the BBC article.
Any insight you could provide would be most helpful and appreciated [emoji120]
Cheers

Most welcome, Nilanjan!
Actually, I'll be visiting Osaka and Kyoto in mid September for a week, and was checking up on the rules, and came across the BBC article.
Any insight you could provide would be most helpful and appreciated [emoji120]
Cheers
Hi Ranjit, that article very much summarises the drone rules prevalent in Japan.You do not need to register your drone in Japan or need any special permission if you abide by the 3 points below.
1. Do not fly at altitudes of 150m above ground level
2. Do not fly at airspace around airports
3. Do not fly over densely populated areas

The 3rd point is the most tricky one and I am afraid that may very well prohibit you from flying in cities like Osaka and Kyoto. You can check the link below to see if the areas you wish to fly in come under "densely populated areas".

But please note that even if a particular area is not shown as red in the map, there may be local rules which prevent you from flying there. For instance, there may be a park or temple in a not so densely populated area and which is not highlighted in red in the map. However, once you visit the place or search for information on the internet, you may find that drones are prohibited in that park or temple.

Thanks Nilanjan for the helpful info!
Looks like I'll have to do some serious thinking if it's worthwhile to bring my Spark along then [emoji848]
Cheers!

Thanks Nilanjan for the helpful info!
Looks like I'll have to do some serious thinking if it's worthwhile to bring my Spark along then [emoji848]
Cheers!
Sorry to disappoint you Ranjit but that's the way it is. It is possible to get permission to fly in restricted areas but it is not quite practical for foreigners, especially tourists.

Sorry to disappoint you Ranjit but that's the way it is. It is possible to get permission to fly in restricted areas but it is not quite practical for foreigners, especially tourists.
No worries Nilanjan, it's good to know the realistic situation, rather than end up doing something unsafe and risky due to being overly optimistic or foolish.
Appreciate your input, as always.
Many thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67